Skip to main content
Topic: Bad Financial Decision of the month (Read 3676 times) previous topic - next topic

Bad Financial Decision of the month

Vortech Si kit $3000-250 rebate
ba-2400,  adapter, wire harness, filter $350
60 lb injectors $350
sct chip $250
tune $100
upr pipe $130
wideband $200

$4130 on a car that will never be worth that much.

The only thing I can think of being different on a Bird is the fuel filter arrangement, and how that relates to mounting a Trex. Anybody done this recently enough to explain where to mount the pump best on a Bird?

The tune is a mail order through a guy who says he doesnt do them anymore because of the aggravation from kids who wont listen. I talked to him enough that he said he would do it. Doesnt want me to say who he is, because people will start hounding him about it.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #1
Quote from: mtgmike;375404
$4130 on a car that will never be worth that much.

nah, in 10 years you could get double that i'm sure.. just consider it an investment for the future.. lol
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #2
Don't feel bad. At least you didn't spend $20k+ on a new car that'll never be worth that much...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
That was my thinking, considered a 2011 5.0 auto, but I like having paid off cars, and complete Vortech kits are easy to sell down the road.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #4
Sounds like my kind of insanity!  Good luck on it mtgmike.

Reply #5
I really want a Kennebell. Alittle over $3k last I checked.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #6
I think the price tag effect will wear off once you train yourself to write it off in your mind.
Enjoy it!!, thats what this is all about after all.

Do i seriously think a 20th anny cougar is gonna hold a candle to your average bird in 10 years,, hell no.  Thats why its all stock and will stay that why so I have every fighting chance in hell to make sure its attributes of all original are in effect so the price has a fighting chance.

A mod'd bird may be judged differently though, thats only my opinion.

Reply #7
Quote from: jcassity;375470
I think the price tag effect will wear off once you train yourself to write it off in your mind.
Enjoy it!!, thats what this is all about after all.

Do i seriously think a 20th anny cougar is gonna hold a candle to your average bird in 10 years,, hell no.  Thats why its all stock and will stay that why so I have every fighting chance in hell to make sure its attributes of all original are in effect so the price has a fighting chance.

A mod'd bird may be judged differently though, thats only my opinion.

i agree with you 99%, a 20th anny is going to be worth a considerable amount in about 20 years.. i say 20 years because 10 years will come and go quicker than most people would realize.. i'm still wondering where the last 10 years went lol..

but i believe the modded birds, if done correctly and tastefully, will be worth some $$$ as well.. maybe not as much as a 20th cougar, but still a considerable amount.. now the 3.8 birds and cats, i can't see them being worth much, other than a good donor for a small block.. TC's, sports and LX 5.0 cars i can see being worth money as well, more than likely with the TC's above all, because a lot of people (myself included) rip out the 4 banger and drop in a smallblock (or on the few occasions, a big block). the future value of these cars comes up in numerous threads and conversations, but in all reality, only time will tell.. hopefully the world begins to open it's eyes and starts realizing what great cars these are

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #8
Quote from: Shadow;375473
hopefully the world begins to open it's eyes and starts realizing what great cars these are

It's honestly part of my plan, part of why I now own 3 cougars that, once the one is back TOGETHER, will all raise hell everywhere they go, with a loud V8 roar and performance to match. So MAYBE, just MAYBE, my area (certainly not unlike any other, not home to a frequent cougarbird sighting) will just immediately assume every 87/88 cougar they see is a street fighter :hick: muuhahahaaha
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #9
i'm hoping for a more nation-wide growth of interest.. lol

Reply #10
Yea but you gotta do your part to MAKE IT HAPPEN around you kid! Think GLOBALLY by acting LOCALLY :rollin:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #11
price aint the issue,passion,love for these car are.if price is an issue get rid of car ,go buy a ford fusion new.

Reply #12
fox thunderbird > fusion ;)

Reply #13
Vortech Si kit = $3000-250 rebate
ba-2400,  adapter, wire harness, filter = $350
60 lb injectors = $350
sct chip = $250
tune = $100
upr pipe = $130
wideband = $200

Stupid grin on your face the first time you mash the gas (at the track) = Priceless!
:burnout::hick:

Reply #14
:punchballs:
Quote from: Shadow;375473
i agree with you 99%, a 20th anny is going to be worth a considerable amount in about 20 years.. i say 20 years because 10 years will come and go quicker than most people would realize.. i'm still wondering where the last 10 years went lol..

but i believe the modded birds, if done correctly and tastefully, will be worth some $$$ as well.. maybe not as much as a 20th cougar, but still a considerable amount.. now the 3.8 birds and cats, i can't see them being worth much, other than a good donor for a small block.. TC's, sports and LX 5.0 cars i can see being worth money as well, more than likely with the TC's above all, because a lot of people (myself included) rip out the 4 banger and drop in a smallblock (or on the few occasions, a big block). the future value of these cars comes up in numerous threads and conversations, but in all reality, only time will tell.. hopefully the world begins to open it's eyes and starts realizing what great cars these are

I'm not saying you are wrong. I hope like hell you are right.

BUT.... I have been a Triumph guy for 30 years and everyone is still wondering where the true values are hiding. If you restore a TR yourself you still can't get out of it what you invested.

I should have gotten into Ferraris.