Skip to main content
Topic: new ign switch (Read 2022 times) previous topic - next topic

new ign switch

where can i get a new one? dealership still have them? are they still free from the recal?

Re: new ign switch

Reply #1
autozone $12, don't know if the recall is still good.
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #2
i got motorcraft at rockauto.com

Reply #3
I had mine replaced throught the recall in Sep of 2K3. 88 Sport.

Reply #5
The recall is still in effect (safety recalls never expire), but you might have a hard time trying to find out if it applies to your car. It only applies to 88 and newer, and they only replace it once. If it's already been done you're ineligible. The problem arises when you try to find out if it's already been done. Ford dealerships, and even FoMoCo itself, does not have easy access to info on cars over ten years old. I just gave up, bought the switch, and swapped it myself (turned out I was eligible after all, but what the hell, the aggravation was not worth $10 for a switch).
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Just buy a new one.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
yeah i got it a bout  a day after the post, autozone 10 bux. worth it for piece of mind.

Reply #9
it shouldnt use a torx.... Or does it? If it is just the ignition switch, it comes off really easy. If it is the lock part you have to put the key in the run position.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #10
The ignition switch itself is tightened down by these two torx screws with a tiny metal piece in the middle (maybe for u can't tamper with these)

Reply #12
Cut a slot in them with a dremel or hacksaw and use a screwdriver to get them out. Or even grind out that tamper-proof nub.  Replace them with normal bolts (allen or hex)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #13
thx  guys

hopefully this fixes my problem...
I really want to be able to make it to Cat Jam and this could be the 10 dollar fix that has costed me hundreds of dollars in other stuff, and 3 batteries....

Reply #14
yeah it is fun to get off. When I switched out my sterring colums. I just hammered in a torx that was alittle bit bigger. It shouldnt be to bad either way. Still gonna be fun though
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com