Skip to main content
Topic: Need help FAST !!!!! FIXED !!!! (Read 22987 times) previous topic - next topic

Need help FAST !!!!! FIXED !!!!

Reply #60
One remote possibility: One of the right side tail light sockets is shorted between the park and stop/turn circuits. This could cause the turn signal circuit to backfeed into the park lamp circuit, which is also connected to the dash light circuit. I actually saw this happen one time on a Saab 9000, where the car's owner forced an 1156 (single filament) bulb into an 1157 (dual filament) socket. The single connector on the bottom of the bulb was shorting the two terminals inside the socket together, causing the dash lights to come on every time the brake pedal was pressed. What made this particular car even more intriguing was that when you shut the car off with your foot on the brake it would continue running until you released the brake. The brake light circuit was energizing the park lights, which were energizing the daytime running lights, which was energizing the IGN circuit, which was keeping the fuel and spark coming. Everything was relay driven, else that small short would have almost certainly have caused a fire had those park light wires been called on to power up all of that...

...But I digress. I say "Remote" possibility because in theory, if the two contacts were shorting together in your car you should see your park lights come on too with the turn signals, not just the dash lights. In theory. Still, it's something to check.

One thing is certain: The sequencer unit is not causing your grief. The sequencer is not connected to the park light side of things and therefore cannot turn them on, nor can it backfeed into any other circuit it's not connected to (such as the dash lights). If there is a short in one of the sockets and the sequencer is forced to feed the park lights externally (IE the problem is in a socket, not the sequencer) it might, just might, have overloaded the SCR's in the sequencer and popped them. This would be a case of the problem causing the sequencer's death, not the sequencer's death causing the problem. The SCR's are rated at 10 amps continuous, 25 peak, so chances are slim that they were popped though. The fact that the brake lights are working kinda points toward the SCR's being OK though, since the brake lights are fed by them (the sequencer does not know whether it's getting power from the turn signal switch or the brake light switch, it just lights up the bulbs)...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #61
When the brake pedal is pushed, the driver side sequences out as it should. The third brake light comes on, but only the inner most light on the passenger side (The one I added for the sequencer). The outer two lights do not illuminate.

NOW, thanks a lot guys for the help here. I don't read wiring diagrams, and sadly, have to be spoken to like a 6 year old when it comes to this .

For the person who ends up directing me to the cure, I'm sending a nice gift to you.........seriously.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #62
Ok, but the park lights don't come on with the brake lights or right turn signal, right? Just the dash lights? Did you look at the front lights?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #63
hmm.. take a test light to the side of the sequencer that leads to the signal switch (the 'IN' lead).. that should tell you if it's your sequential box for the passenger side or not.. if it's still dead with the flashers on, you know your problem is elsewhere and not in the sequencer or the tail light sockets. if it does illuminate and flash, your sequencer is either shot or the ground is weak
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #64
The parking lights don't come on. All of the 6 front lights are working as they should. I did notice, even the little light that illuminates the headlight switch panel blinks with the dash lights when the signal is turned on for the passenger side (while the head lights are off).

Shadow...I have to go get a test light this weekend. I have to admit, I've never used one before.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #65
By the way, I also tried swapping the head light switch........no change.

Reply #66
say whaaaaaaaaaaaat? lol a hands-on car guy that's never used a test light? HOLY  lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #67
Yep, it's sad, but true. I gotta figure this out.....apparently with a lot of help. I just don't get it. Was it from the heater core swap and something got jacked up? Or was it a coincidence? It's driving me nuts. Everything else on the Sport is working just fine.

Reply #68
No what i mean is by DIMS is the parking lights. We call them DIMS. Old expression. Pull all the tail lights out from the sockets that are signal related then see if the dash does the same thing. hang tight i am going to bring up all data. You do have an 86 correct???

Ok check this out. It is time to get down and dig in to this trouble. Use an old fashion test light not a circuit safe one. Connect it to a good ground and turn on the headlights. Check for battery at fuse F13 5A. Is their battery on both sides of the fuse??? If yes you have a bad ground at location G902 Does the console light work??? If not you have a bad ground at G206. Check that out and post back. Thanks
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #69
86? his sport is an 88 lol

Reply #70
[q
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #71
Ok i

Reply #72
Vinnie, your car is paying you back for doing one too many frontal lobotomies (intake swaps). :)

Hang in there.  You'll figure it out.  If not, I'll swap you cars.  You can fix my slight miss.

Reply #73
Vinnie, since you lowered the steering column, it's about the only thing that could affect whats going on. You also need a test light. There must be a plug  coming out of the column,I would look there.
Did you try to move the handle of the turn signal around some? a little father a little less,see if anything flashes on that side?
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #74
Tom, the console storage light doesn't blink like the rest of the lights on the dash, BUT, the ash tray light (under the console control panel) does blink like the dash lights when the signal is on. I'll check the wires under the console control panel...as far as using the test light, I'll get one, and experiment. Never owned one. No need til now.LOL.

I have to get a test light, don't have one yet.

.....Kitz, I Haven't tried to move the signal lever except on and off. I checked the plugs, made sure the wires were pushed in tightly in the plugs, couldn't find any sign of pulled wires, etc. I'll check that after work again.

Gotta go to work right now. Back later and hopefully we can all get this figured out.