Skip to main content
Topic: upgraded suspension? (Read 1577 times) previous topic - next topic

upgraded suspension?

Ive been looking around for new tubular A-arms, a tubular K member and better springs but i cant find any... Ive found alot of mustang stuff so i was wondering if foxbody parts like the ones i just listed would would for my car? Also id really like a got a tubular engine brace as well. Any tips or help would be appreciated! thank you
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

upgraded suspension?

Reply #1
Go to Cool Cats and read their section, outlines what you can use and what you can't.
http://www.coolcats.net/modifying/index.html#suspension
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

upgraded suspension?

Reply #2
thank you soul
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

upgraded suspension?

Reply #3
Alright, so I can use any SN95 tubular A arms. I found out that I'd have to custom fab my own engine bay brace. I can buy a set of rear control arms from CHE. While poking around I got curious about a 2 point G-load brace, upgraded torque boxes and a panhard bar. Unfortunately I realized it was talking about for V8 and V6 cougars. Nor did I find anything about a tubular K-member for a turbo coupe. Does anybody know if I could use these parts or will it not work on my car?

upgraded suspension?

Reply #4
If you mean by engine bay brace, strut tower brace, it will line up fine. I would recommend caster camber plates from maximum motorsports if you are going all out.

Torque boxes are the same. K-member for a 87-93 mustang should work, but you will need to add spacers or slot holes to make it all line up right.

Panhand bars are basically a custom setup anyway you look at it. Any parts there will take modifications.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

upgraded suspension?

Reply #5
What year mustang should i get the Strut tower brace from? thank you for your help

upgraded suspension?

Reply #6
I am not up on the 2.3 motors. I know the 5.0 one will fit, but not sure. Goto nato or turboford and see what they are running.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

upgraded suspension?

Reply #7
[url
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

upgraded suspension?

Reply #8
Wow Tom, that alot of use full information! I unfortunately I don't have the tools to weld nor does anybody I know. Nor the tools to make templates.

upgraded suspension?

Reply #9
It is
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

upgraded suspension?

Reply #10
Tom.....from whatI understand, you make a large plate that extends from the caster/camber plate all the way down the tower to below the frame rail?  You have any pics of this?
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.