Skip to main content
Topic: Cupholder? (Read 7051 times) previous topic - next topic

Cupholder?

Reply #30
doggone it, you ARE special.LOL. Now, get the cup holder done so I can see it.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Cupholder?

Reply #31
Well my internet's been down for a week, no that wasn't a shadow reference, I just can't afford to pay my bills, so anyway I obviously still have some work to do but here's what I've got for now, now that I can post pix again:

--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #33
thats a really great design, nice work!

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Cupholder?

Reply #34
I just saw an NOS switch panel on ebay like yours........well, mostly like yours....it was NOS. LOL. Good work on the cup holder. What color are you going to paint it? That factory plastic color is hard to duplicate, and you want the console panels to match.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Cupholder?

Reply #35
I don't know yet, I think I'm just going to go with a deep gray and make it close. Hopefully it will accent it if it doesn't look matching ya know. As for that switch panel its the wrong one. I need to just get the one with windows and mirrors but I haven't seen one in a while.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #36
SEM makes a trim paint that comes really really close to the stock color
Fox-less at the moment

Cupholder?

Reply #37
I just had an alternate idea kind of thought.........

Now, since you have so few switches for your console, if you had another panel, you could move the switches to the ashtray area (or underneath the door), and in the area where the switches are now, make that a smooth panel, add a cup holder that is straight down (to hold a beverage upright), yet it would have the blended angle to match that panel area. Tons of space to make a holder that can handle a giant size drink (like the one I did in my extra console lid that I have in use now). Man, if I knew how to draw on the computer and post it....................

Cupholder?

Reply #38
Believe it or not I actually considered that before I went this route. Although I honestly do not remember why I decided not to do it....

I think it was because of the lack of ability to get my hands on any sort of cup holder deep enough that could be molded into it, and then there's the fact that I would have to create a new panel to replace the switch panel and, well, :toilet: :bricks1: :flame:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #39
piece of pvc pipe inserted with end cap? Lowes special
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Cupholder?

Reply #40
Quote from: Soul;390684
piece of pvc pipe inserted with end cap? Lowes special

Yes. Great idea. Just cut to the angle of the console. Good thinking !!!

Cupholder?

Reply #41
Go to an auto body supply house and get a flexible plastic parts filler.  It is usually a two part and takes a little practice but it is both sand able and paintable.  Might just be the ticket for you

Cupholder?

Reply #42
Hey I appreciate the advice but I'm like 95% done now so it's a little to late for that. I'll keep it in mind though if I go a different route later on though :)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #43
Plastics are really tricky because they are petrolium based and non-porous. they also have many different types of additives that make some glues useless on some types of plastics.

I have been thinking of making my own center console out of wood to shape it the way I want then take the bottom of a 64oz big gulp, making a mold out of it, then making its own base out of fiberglass for. Strength, sandability, and a finished look.its also very easy to drill holes and bolt in place if you wanted to really over-do it. You could also slightly raise the center section up a bit higher and make the cup holder a bit deeper for more stability.

I actually started to make my own rough center console when I was interested in throwing a carputer in. This was before I knew that some of the cars had center consoles. With how small computers and lcd screens are getting, it would be just too easy to fit a carputer or tablet type of computer into a custom center peice, wire in your own ipod/mp3 hook ups, usb hubs, dvd tray ect.

Now with how far technology has come, sadly my cellphone does basically everything I spent all that time trying to build and design.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com