Skip to main content
Topic: Cupholder? (Read 7164 times) previous topic - next topic

Cupholder?

Well, uh, you guys are probably gonna kill me....

....cause I did, um......

.........this.........

Yeah.... decided to get rid of that useless ashtray.. and, um, well it kinda worked, and it kinda didn't....

anyway I still gotta paint it the right color, and fill in the crack/seams.... and get the right screws, but other than that, well, it holds a drink..... :dunno:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #1
Once you get it finished, I think it will look fine.  Like you said, at least it holds a drink.  I need to find a way to integrate some cup holders somehow.
Mike

Cupholder?

Reply #2
I'm sure it'll look good once you're done with it. I just use the ones that attach to the doors.

Cupholder?

Reply #3
...You're fired....

Although that is fairly ingenious. :)
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Cupholder?

Reply #4
Well, that's another way of doing it. I keep the remote for the stereo in my ashtray. Installed the cup holder in the console lid. When you're filing in the seems and painting, take your time and make it look like it belongs there.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Cupholder?

Reply #5
I'm not sure what I'm going to use to fill in the seams with. I've never used bondo before -:disappoin:- and I'm not comfortable using caulk to do it b/c it typically isn't paintable, or sandable, and I kinda need it to be both.... man, the disappointing part is how much I had to hack up the actual ashtray panel thingy to get it to work. I thought, in my initial planning stage, it would fit perfectly. Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans.....

Oh, does anyone know what kind of paint to use to best match the factory grey-ish console like I (and I guess everyone else) have?
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #6
You'll need to check some paints at the local parts store and see what is close. You may need to do all the panels so they'll match. The cup holder is a decent idea, but it needs to look "finished"...like it belongs there....which I know you're working on. I'd mold the cup holder to the panel and make them one piece, or perhaps find another cup holder like that or similar that can be cut wider and fit tight. Then, use a little bondo, or perhaps JB Weld or some other kind of stuff like an epoxy stick that dries very hard and is sandable. You may or may not have seen it, but I was successful with mine. It works great, isn't in my way, and I'm building a "plug" for the hole for times I don't have a cup with me. Since I took this picture, I installed my "restored" switch panel and dual power seats.

'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Cupholder?

Reply #7
Yeah I saw that before and it is a enat idea, but my lid is also my armrest and that would drive me crazy to have that there lol
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #8
I never notice it. The one you have can be looking good with minimal effort. Just need a few supplies, and a little time and patience.

Cupholder?

Reply #9
yeah. I spent three hours making this work as far as it is, no doubt I'll put some more time into it to get it right.

Oh, and there's no other cupholder to my knowledge that will work correctly for this application. The one I found came out a Plymouth Breeze. After spending over an hour searching every car in the entire yard, this was the one I decided to go with. I shoulda pulled the gray one though....:shoothead:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Cupholder?

Reply #10
Go to Ebay Motors and search for "cup holders' Tons of them.

Cupholder?

Reply #11
I don't allow food or drink in my car....unless it's me doing the eating or drinking.
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Cupholder?

Reply #12
Quote from: Chris1987LX;363894
I don't allow food or drink in my car....unless it's me doing the eating or drinking.

Same here..........................

Cupholder?

Reply #13
I just ram the drink down between the console and the seat belt receiver. This is true for my Fox cars and my MN12, which is funny because my MN12 has cup holders and I don't even use them; I actually prefer to have the drink 2" from my right hip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cupholder?

Reply #14
Kia sportage has this thing that is mounted in the dash,, you push in on a 1'' tall and about 6'' wide plastic surface and out pops a drink holder.

some of us have room in our dash to provision this in while others do not, just fyi for those who have those empty trays above the radio and hvac controls in the center of the dash.