Skip to main content
Topic: Gasket or NO Gasket..... that is the question... (Read 980 times) previous topic - next topic

Gasket or NO Gasket..... that is the question...

Reply #1
I use Explorer gaskets on my gt40 irons. Like them fine, no leaks, cheap, and easy to find in stock.

Unless you surface grind the header a tad to really make sure you have a perfect surface(and youd probably have an imperfect head surface), youll end up using a little silicone, which is in effect, a gasket.
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Reply #2
Will the high temp silicone hold up?
Mike

Reply #3
Yes, I always use gaskets to get the best fit. Last time I used Felpro.

Reply #4
Gaskets, yes.

Reply #5
I always use gaskets. Percy''s.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #6
MR gasket makes a good one for the 302, I use it on my 5.0 header equipped cars

Reply #7
Hi temp RTV silicon only here.

Place a bead of silicon on the header '
Assemble and tighten the bolts FINGER TIGHT ONLY!
Let sit for 24hrs (or longer)
THEN torque to spec.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing: