Skip to main content
Topic: New rack (Read 5919 times) previous topic - next topic

New rack

I'm looking to get a new rack for the car and want to upgrade it abit. Anyone have a good source Or good part numbers? Napa had four diff ones listed and couldn't really tell me the difference, or anything specific I should be asking for?
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

New rack

Reply #1
I just installed a Remaned unit specd for a 88 Mustang GT.  Get the 15.1 ratio.  It feels really good to me.
Mike

New rack

Reply #2
The last 3 racks I've gotten have been from Rockauto. A friend of mine toured the Cardone site and said their equipment is real good. I've had good luck with their reman racks.

New rack

Reply #3
Only problem with Rockauto is dealing with the core charge and sending your rack back in.  I find it just easier to buy them locally.
Mike

New rack

Reply #4
I agree on the core... Also I checked there and they had numerous ones listed..

New rack

Reply #5
True, but 2 of the ones came as closeouts with no core. I got the Daytona rack for 40.00. with no core. Their stock is always changing.

If you get one for a late TC it should be a quick ratio.

New rack

Reply #6
I just went to advance auto and got a 15:1 rack for a T-bird sport or Turbocoupe.  Everyone says to make sure a get a matching PS pump (which I did because mine was leaking anyway).

It drives so much nicer with the upgraded rack.  It really wasn't that expensive either and so far I've not had any problems with the Advance Auto pieces.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New rack

Reply #7
Rent their PS pulley installer/remover tool.  Unless you have one already, then disregard.
Mike

New rack

Reply #8
Quote from: mcb82gt;361031
Rent their PS pulley installer/remover tool.  Unless you have one already, then disregard.

X2...you will need it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

New rack

Reply #9
My rack started to leak so I ended up replacing it with a 15:1 rack. However I did the naughty thing and re-used my stock pump as it is in perfect shape. I know it's a no-no but it's been working fine so far. Would I do it again? No.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

New rack

Reply #10
Why should you not use the existing pump?? I didn't think about that?

New rack

Reply #11
I never replaced my pump with the 15.1 rack(going on 8yrs) its probably the same one, but I could be wrong
1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

New rack

Reply #12
Quote from: cougar1car;361049
Why should you not use the existing pump?? I didn't think about that?

Supposedly, one pump is spec'd for the 15:1 rack and the current one you have is spec'd for the slower ratio rack.  I have no idea what the actual mechanical differences are.  There have been several guys on here use their stock pump with the 15:1 rack and they seem to get by fine.

My pump leaked anyway, so I changed everything all at once.  Therefore I cannot confirm this myself...I just know the 15:1 upgrade is a good one!

New rack

Reply #13
Well hopefully this will happen this week.. I'm replacing :

Rack and pinion
Outer tie rods
Both power steering lines (leaks like a siv)
Swapping the TC sway bar in while it's all apart
Sway bar links
Front struts ( needs em in a bad way and since it's all
Apart and I'm gonna need an alignment why not)
Oil pan gasket ('also leaks)

I think that's all for now.

New rack

Reply #14
Well finally got all the parts listed above minus the oil pan gasket advance didn't have any. Hoping to get it all changed by Thursday. Getting the windshield replaced tomorrow as well.