Skip to main content
Topic: F$^&^%$%ing front coil springs (Read 3406 times) previous topic - next topic

F$^&^%$%ing front coil springs

I cut 3/4ths of a coil off my stock springs, and I cant for the life of me get them back in :mad:

Ive never had this much trouble before.  I tried the internal spring comp I rented from Oriellys.  No dice.  Maybe an external one, Ill try tonight.:punchballs:

Any other tips?
Mike

Reply #1
How are you trying to re-install it? I slid my springs up into the top first (strut being unbolted and tie rods disconnected), and once the top was in, I pushed the control arm down with my foot and popped the bottom in, then, I reinstalled the strut at the bottom with the two bolts, and then lifted the control arm with my floor jack until I could bolt the rest together. If the spring came out, it'll go back in....especially if it's now a little shorter.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
That is what I usually do Vinnie.  This one is so far off there is no way.  I had to actually use a pry bar and a lot of force to get them even OUT!
Mike

Reply #3
You'll need a spring compressor (internal type) to get a stock spring back in.  Externals for coil-over-spring set-ups won't work.  The stock Tbird springs are pretty long.

I know someone (jcassity ?) came up with an internal type that uses a couple 3/8" plates instead of the hooks.  There is also some big monstrosity of an external set-up that I *think* daminc used on his spring installs.

I never use the stock springs, and the FMS C-kits pop right into place w/ no drama.

Another option is to have the springs compressed and banded.  Then you can install them and then cut the bands when you have it together.  I know we did that a couple times at KBs on some monster springs for the C-Vics.

Yet another option is to attach the strut to the spindle, and remove the inner control arm mounting bolts.  Drop the arm and install the spring, and use a jack to push things back into place.  I did this ONCE on the first TBird we had.  Kind of a PITA to get things lined up and the bolts back in place, but it worked.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
You did disconnect the tie rod? I'm 195 pounds, and put some force on the lower to push it down. Once the lower part of the spring is in the perch...or mostly, I have kicked it into place. Then the strut and reassembly.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
I installed the SN-95 springs with ease. The Sport is VERY forgiving to me. She just loves attention.

Reply #6
Quote from: vinnietbird;360159
You did disconnect the tie rod? I'm 195 pounds, and put some force on the lower to push it down. Once the lower part of the spring is in the perch...or mostly, I have kicked it into place. Then the strut and reassembly.

Oh yeah, I have everything disconnected and the filthy control arm is hanging there in shame.

Im 220lbs and I was bending 2 pry bars and my brother was on the other one. No where near seating in that control arm recess.
Mike

Reply #7
Quote from: vinnietbird;360160
I installed the SN-95 springs with ease. The Sport is VERY forgiving to me. She just loves attention.

My cat is making me work for it a little.  She's a little tease.
Mike

Reply #8
I had to use internal compresser to put the TC springs in...hopefully Vinnie is right about the Sn springs popping right in, I'm about to go swap 'em...

There's about an inch or 1-1/4 less height on the SN springs, compared to TC, for the fronts, uncompressed. Hopefully it makes it easy to install...I hate fighting springs, it'll kill a day if you don't have the right tools.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
I was lucky then. I didn't use a spring compressor for mine.

Reply #10
2x on the spring compressor.  I couldn't have gotten the SN95 springs in otherwise.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #11
Try putting the top in and get the bottom in the best you can. Then jack the control arm up a little.  Stick a piece of 2x4 between the strut mount on the spindle and the spring. Then jack the control arm up.  As the spindle goes up into place, the 2x4 pushes the spring in.  It's worked for me...

Reply #12
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;360169
I had to use internal compresser to put the TC springs in...hopefully Vinnie is right about the Sn springs popping right in, I'm about to go swap 'em...

There's about an inch or 1-1/4 less height on the SN springs, compared to TC, for the fronts, uncompressed. Hopefully it makes it easy to install...I hate fighting springs, it'll kill a day if you don't have the right tools.

Sidebar..... where are those brake lines you have!!!
Mike

Reply #13
Do you guys have a pic or link of what the one you used looked like?
Mike

Reply #14
Mike, i just used the one from Oreilly's..the internal job.

I just stuck my front SN95 springs in, and using the method ivygreen posted, they went right in with minimal fuss. Of course, it's best if the whole strut is out of there...in fact, not sure if one could get a spring in with the strut hanging there anyhow.

I did stick a metal bar about 3/4" dia down through the strut hole, through the spring, and out through the bottom of the arm....just in case, ya know.

I suppose a ratchet strap looped through and tightened to just snug would probably work to keep the spring from flying out and giving you a headache...

As for the brake lines....I'm still lookin...soon as I can find 'em, I'll let ya know. I have no idea where the hell I put them...driving me apeshiznit..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6