Skip to main content
Topic: F$^&^%$%ing front coil springs (Read 3421 times) previous topic - next topic

F$^&^%$%ing front coil springs

Reply #15
Since 88CougarGT mentioned having to use a compressor, I wonder if some SN95 springs have different uncompressed heights?

Anybody have a chart that would have this, for reference' sake? I'd look, but have to leave for work in a few minutes...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #16
Here is what I was able to pilfer off of a couple of sites with regards to spring rates but there is no reference to spring height.  I have not verified any of this data so take it for what it is worth.  I will keep nosing around.

X

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #17
I got mine in with the strut still attached to the knuckle. 

Easiest way I've found to do it.
1. Jack vehicle, support, and remove wheels.
2. Turn the wheel all the way to the side you are working (eg all the way left for the drivers side.
3. Put some painters tape along your fender flares to protect the paint.
4. Remove the Caliper retiring pins and hang it with some zip ties.
5. Place jack under the Unbolt the shock tower bolt.
6. Collapse the shock and pull it out away from the car.  No need to unbolt the strut from the knuckle.  (It may make it easier, but you will have to pull the wheel bearing/rotor).
7. Lower jack and pry out old spring. KEEP CLEAR OF SPRING.
8. Compress new spring and put it in place.
9. (This usually requires two people, but I've done it with one) - Align the spring an raise the lower control arm with the jack.
10. Compress shock and guide it back into tower.  This can be kind of a pain,  I don't have much good advice here.  If you removed the strut this step would be easier but I was able to do it with a few tries.
11. Re-assemble shock, brakes, tires, etc.
12. Road test.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #18
my bullit springs went in no prob. came out just as easy

Reply #19
here is a pic... I couldn't get the spring seated back in without compressing it a bit

then I got  a little pressure under it, and unclamped the spring. then finished jacking it up to attach the strut. unfortunately.... without having a motor in it, I didn't have enough weight to pull everything together. So I was sitting on the frame rail, and I had my wife stand on the rad support to pull the front end down enough to bolt the top of the strut... the front end still sits very high 6 months after the motor went in... I might have to swap them for something else.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #20
it is easier taking the springs out?
i'm likely putting airbags in mine, but don't have the correct spring compressor to do these springs.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #21
WOW talk about dangerous ways to change springs.  If you have a spring get away from you it will ruin your day for life. Basically if you do not have the proper tools or know how DONT DO IT. Use an internal clamp thats the proper way. It works with or without an engine in the car. Just me i like to do things safely.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #22
Quote from: TOM Renzo;363325
If you have a spring get away from you it will ruin your day for life.

Finally you said something worth quoting...

I know a guy here who was trying to put in a spring...it came out, hit him in the forehead and knocked his ass out colder than ice.

When I put my Sn95 springs in this last time, I used a jack to compress the control arm and spring, but...I stuck a metal bar down through the strut tower, through the inside of the spring, and all the way through the control arm itself. If the spring happened to have shot out, at least it wouldn't do any harm. Not the safest way, but better than nothing at all. I used a piece of round steel stock, about 3/4" or so dia, and about 4' long. Clamped a pair of vice-grips on top, above the strut tower so it wouldn't hit the ground, and cause a bind as I was lifting the control arm up.

I may die in this car someday, but I will not die putting the  thing together.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #23
Dont worry thunder sport i tried to pass on info that i acspoogeulated for 50 years but no one is taking it on this site. So with your statement it made me realize i am wasting my time. So i will no longer post on this site.  But in closing the people that posted their spring changing techniques are going to get hurt. In all the years i have never herd such dangerous ways of changing springs. With that said if i helped anyone great if i came off as a fool thats fine. Good BY

Finally you said something worth quoting...

This statement hurt me and made me realize i am wasting my time Good Day Gentlemen.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #24
Tom, I was being ironic, in that (almost) nobody is going to suddenly start doing things the proper or safe way when they've been doing it improperly or unsafely for X amount of time...

No need to leave...I'm a sarcastic person by nature. It wasn't my intention to make you feel or look like you don't know shiznit from peanut butter. For that I'm sorry.
Hell, maybe I should leave. I contribute nothing, ask too many questions, and my car is a filthy, worn out heap with a shiznit pile of second hand parts thrown at it. Maybe I DO belong in a Mustang...god knows I'm apparently not the proper image in a Thunderbird..OR a Chevy.

Heh, whatever. I don't care what people think of me, or my car. It's muddy, multi-colored, and probably a bigger mess than anything you've ever seen, but it pleases me, and that's about all I have to say.

Personally, and this applies to myself mostly, there is always room for safety. Yeah, I didn't use a spring compressor (this last time..) but I did make sure the springs weren't going to fly out...

Anywho, back on topic. Hung the passenger fender, with '97 Stang GT springs in the front, it doesn't appear to be any lower than the stock Sport springs...maybe it'll settle down after a few days, the engine has only been in since sunday night..
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #25
Beau, the Sport was the same way. I swapped the rack, LCA's and the springs all at once, and when I was done, I was thinking to myself....."It looks the same !!!!". " !!!"...after I drove the car a little, it settled down and the Sport is about 1 1/2 inches lower all around. I like it, and it's still very functional without having to come to a near complete stop to creep over a speed bump.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #26
Hmmmm.... compared to my everyday real job... putting those 2 springs in was probably one of the safest jobs I did that year..[COLOR="#8b0000"] I also would recommend an internal spring compressor.[/COLOR]
here's my office.... it's got a view .... and yes, that's ice on all the wood
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #27
Wow Jerry, you guys sure do get py weather....84 the other day, and ice/snow now! lol, I kid.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #28
Serious injury or death can occur when a coil spring suddenly unleashes tension.
I've seen the aftermath of one that went through a cylinder block wall. I saw a kid take his arm off with a spring.

I do not know how to walk rafters that is why i hired a contractor to build my addition. On the other hand i have changed literally hundreds of  coil springs. Mess with them and they hit you and you will wish you flew off that roof instead.  This is just some good advice. I dont walk RAFTERS BUT i do install springs. If you think they are not DANGEROUS you should stick to FRAMING. Just passing on some friendly advice. Anyone that takes a spring change LIGHTLY IS A FOOL. BYE BYE

Reply #29
never said it wasn't dangerous. it's all relative to something else. that's all I was getting at
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook