Skip to main content
Topic: I'm pretty sure I know what my next project car is..... (Read 3246 times) previous topic - next topic

I'm pretty sure I know what my next project car is.....

With the Cougar coming together and the plans in place to put the Mustang DEEP into the low 11's I have a lot on my plate car wise.  By this time next year I'll be done though. 

Next:  79-81 4 eye Mustang........
I have my eye on one.  Manual EVERYTHING.  Racing seats already swapped in.  Some surface rust on the trunk and passenger door, but other than that - clean.  The goal with this car is really not what it'll look like.  It's brown and faded.  I actually want to keep it that way. 

The plan:

351 based motor, fuel injection, single turbo (76 or 88 mm), auto trans (can't decide between a C-6 w/ a Gear Vendor O/D or just build up an AOD), 4.10's(perhaps 4.30's), 28 inch tall tire, cage, subframes, battle boxes.....you get the picture.

I have 2 inquiries....

1.  I want THE QUIETEST EXHAUST POSSIBLE.  Stock quiet if I can manage it.  Any input on a good flowing and Quiet ler from those with firsthand accounts would be welcome.

2.  The steering wheel and column are direct swap overs from Fairmonts and box Catbirds, correct?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #1
for quiet exhaust, I would go with magnaflow. very quiet at idle and crusing, but they get the job done!!

1986 T-bird
347 stroker motor
185 AFR Heads
TrickFlow cam 224/232-542/563
Victor Jr. intake CNC ported
Quickfuel Holley 800 cfm
Hooker 1-3/4 long tubes
Custom built AOD
B&M 3000 stall
8.8 w/4.30 gears
UPR K-member,A-Arms,and coil-overs
UPR upper/lower control arms
Strange shocks/struts
26x10x15 M/T slicks
11.48@119.27
(coming soon Tremec 3550)
The Finished Product
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w92/03grinnie/T-bird/

Reply #2
Don't get Pypes Violators if you want quiet...mine are loud ALL the time.  Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't some of the offerings from Flowmaster fairly quiet?
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
The exhaust powering the turbo will quiet is some, right?  I think it is a compromise between flow and sound.
Mike

Reply #5
I'm running Magnaflow knock offs in stainless steel cat less Xpipe is quiet till i put my foot in it
http://youtu.be/8kCXShwZptA
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #6
holy  your camera guy almost ate your car :giggle:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #7
He stuck his arm out at last second I thought I was gonna hit him
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #8

I have a nicer one in mind for less money......

--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #9
I'll put a third vote in for magnaflow cause thats what I've got on my Ranger which I wanted to stay quiet. Its not so much the brand as the style and size that matter though.
Get the LARGEST case you can possibly fit under the car. The ler on my Ranger is 3" straight thru w/a 22" long case. Dead silent even at full spool and load.
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Reply #10
Get the LARGEST case you can possibly fit under the car. The ler on my Ranger is 3" straight thru w/a 22" long case. Dead silent even at full spool and load.

This is what I like to hear.

Reply #11
More turns in the exhaust = quieter. You need a tailpipe for sure. I just use cheapo Summit s and the TR7 was too quiet. I went from an 18" resonator and a ler to just a resonator. I'm using the ler on the 'bird.

Of course a turbo is a ler in itself.

Reply #12
Quote from: V8Demon;359783
I have a nicer one in mind for less money......

OOOOOOOOhhhhh.  I am really diggin that car.  Perfect for your plan-OUTSTANDING!!!!
Mike

Reply #13
Oh I like this!

Reply #14
I had an '84 GT new off the showroom floor.  Black with a red interior.  I loved that car.  Wish I had it back.