Skip to main content
Topic: BAD oil leak (Read 1839 times) previous topic - next topic

BAD oil leak

I just recently did a head swap, i just finished it up today with the final checking of the head stud bolts and i notices there was a bad oil leak. Its all over my cam pulley. Ive adjusted the valve cover gasket acouple times and that didnt held. I had to tap out the cam because the bolt wasnt going in so boport told me to tap it out so i did. So could there be oil coming out of the cam bolt hole or should i replace my ranger valve cover gasket?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

BAD oil leak

Reply #1
or is it another problem. The machine shop put in a new cam seal for me and it doesnt seem to be leaking from that.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

BAD oil leak

Reply #2
I know when I did my Geo Metro head, I forgot to put in the cam seal. That does make a mess.

Clean it all up with brake cleaner and see where it's coming from.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

BAD oil leak

Reply #3
Cam is hollow, and filled with oil. Did you put sealer on the cam pulley bolt threads?
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

BAD oil leak

Reply #4
Quote from: gumby;359219
Cam is hollow, and filled with oil. Did you put sealer on the cam pulley bolt threads?

This
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

BAD oil leak

Reply #5
lol nope!! i thought thats where it was coming from!! where and what kind of sealer do i put on the cam bolt?

BAD oil leak

Reply #6
I always use that permatex thread sealant stuff. It is white and comes in a little white tube. Kinda comes out thick like liquid paper.

Hoping to help
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

BAD oil leak

Reply #7
Alright cool! thanks for the help. Is this something i can find at a local parts store?

BAD oil leak

Reply #8
is it thread sealant or the threadlock?

BAD oil leak

Reply #9
thread sealant

Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird