Skip to main content
Topic: Interior work (Read 1710 times) previous topic - next topic

Interior work

Over the winter I did some repair work on my interior. I had a rug on the dash because California sunshine dried it out. I ended up using a dash cap to "restore" the dash top. I spent about 4-5 hours tpuppies the thing so it fit just right. I think it looks good.

I also had a panel replaced on the lower rear seat cushion. It had a small tear on the passenger side.

This is just a oooo shiny picture. I polished and waxed the car about a week ago, the last time it was out of the garage and it's first trip out since October.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Interior work

Reply #2
How nice.  Great looking ride.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Interior work

Reply #3
Looks good, did you order a painted dash cap or did you paint it yourself? Also who did you order it from? I've been looking at them and have seen a couple different places but not sure if they are all the same or not.

Interior work

Reply #4
Looks great. Those caps need a lot of tpuppies, but in the end, they look great. Especially compared to a cracked dash.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Interior work

Reply #5
Very nice work.  Your car looks great.
Mike

Interior work

Reply #6
Quote from: Dansbirds;356666
Looks good, did you order a painted dash cap or did you paint it yourself? Also who did you order it from? I've been looking at them and have seen a couple different places but not sure if they are all the same or not.

I ordered it from dashtops.com. I ordered it painted in graphite. It is a  close match for the dark gray that the dash top originally was. I had to do a lot of tpuppies around the speaker grills and defroster vents with a Dremel and a sanding drum to get it to fit correctly. I also had to do a bit of tpuppies to the back where it met the windshield. It took 4 hours to trim because I would remove a little material and then test fit it before moving on.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Interior work

Reply #7
Quote from: thunderjet302;356682
I ordered it from dashtops.com. I ordered it painted in graphite. It is a  close match for the dark gray that the dash top originally was. I had to do a lot of tpuppies around the speaker grills and defroster vents with a Dremel and a sanding drum to get it to fit correctly. I also had to do a bit of tpuppies to the back where it met the windshield. It took 4 hours to trim because I would remove a little material and then test fit it before moving on.

Sounds tedious as hell but looks great. Well worth the effort over a cracked/horrible dash IMHO
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Interior work

Reply #8
I did the same thing...it is VERY tedious, but, once you're done, it looks a LOT better. Also, if you don't have patience, don't do it. Once you remove too much plastic, it's too late. When you have a cracked dash, even if the rest of the car is great, it's still a dark cloud hanging over the car. Once the cap is on (or a replacement dash is installed), you get a whole new feeling about the car.....at least I did.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Interior work

Reply #9
Looks great , what holds the cap on the dash ?
Fox-less at the moment

Interior work

Reply #10
Mine has a couple small cracks, but there is so much more I want to do on the drivetrain first.  Need..... More.....Power.....
Mike

Interior work

Reply #11
Quote from: mcb82gt;356721
Mine has a couple small cracks, but there is so much more I want to do on the drivetrain first.  Need..... More.....Power.....

I need more power too. I just want the car to look nice before I add more power ;).

Interior work

Reply #12
Quote from: hypostang;356689
Looks great , what holds the cap on the dash ?

It comes with an adhesive that "glues" it to the current dash. You may have to trim down any high areas on the dash like cracks that are raised,or whatever. Once it's all flat, adhere the cap.It's cheaper to buy it in natural black and dye it yourself....easy to do. If the funds allow, you can buy it already in color. I would adhere the cap, with the dash out of the car, then dye the whole dash and glove box lid to match (or two tone it if you like). I took my dash from an '86 with no cracks (Taupe in color), prepped it, and dyed it gray. Turned out great.

Interior work

Reply #13
Mine was two tone to begin. I like the factory dark gray on top and light gray on the bottom.