Skip to main content
Topic: I think it's time... (Read 4738 times) previous topic - next topic

I think it's time...

...to start holding onto our cars.

I mean, with eBay and craiglist prices really starting to go up, and the availability of JY cars dwindling even further than ever, it really seems to me like parting anything less than rottwagons is out of the question.

I wish I had been around back when parts and cars for us were as readily available as they are now for the MN12 crowd, but its just not happening anymore.

Not only that, but it seems like a nice car, especially an original, is really starting to be worth something. I mean, think of all the ebay ads we've seen lately for low mileage cars and they want upwards of 8,000 for them. Now whether they sell or not is another issue, but the fact of the matter is that's what people want for them, and they're not willing to let it go until somebody takes it.

I just don't think we can afford to trash and part out anything thats not already trashed. If you wind up with a fox that's even less than perfect, I'd say keep it cause you might not get another one....
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

I think it's time...

Reply #1
Everything has a price...if someone is willing to meet it.

Even my Sport has a number that I'd say goodbye to.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

I think it's time...

Reply #2
I think we are being optimistic. That nice 87 or 88 bird on ebay has been on 6 times now, and it's still not meeting reserve. I think a lot of people just think because they have an old car in good condition it's worth a fortune. The fact is, most of the guys are hoping for some kid to come along and c00ch it up, but that doesn't seem to happen. I dunno, there is a nice v6 87 tbird near me with low low miles, and the body is actually good. She wants 2k for it, and I know it's too much. I know it'd want to swap out the motor from mine into it, etc. And for 2k and do all that work, it'd be in the hole before I even got it running. It would probably only take me a weekend or so to take that motor out and put the v8 in, but still.

I think it's time...

Reply #3
Quote from: jpc647;356229
I think we are being optimistic. That nice 87 or 88 bird on ebay has been on 6 times now, and it's still not meeting reserve. I think a lot of people just think because they have an old car in good condition it's worth a fortune.

+1
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

I think it's time...

Reply #4
I couldn't give mine away.  I guess out here on the left coast they don't have the following that they do on the right coast.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

I think it's time...

Reply #5
Quote from: tbirdsps;356231
I couldn't give mine away.  I guess out here on the left coast they don't have the following that they do on the right coast.

I probably couldn't give mine away either. A kid in town offered me 1,250 for it, but I know if he got it actually inspected it'd be footing the bill for a whole new car, lol.

I think it's time...

Reply #6
Quote from: RunninWild;356230
+1

+2

I think it's time...

Reply #7
Some crazy dude offered me too much for my car in January , now he is driving it .
Fox-less at the moment

I think it's time...

Reply #8
Im the flipside of the coin. Im only 21 and i picked up my car for stupid cheap. probably because the guy wanted his driveway space tho. I even just bought the car as something to replace my bonnie while she was off the road. Now Ive just installed parts worth 3 times what i paid for the car in the first place, and Im selling my bonneville.
1974 Cougar XR7, 351 C, stock. white leather.
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks
1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 3.8L bone stock winter beater, in Gold

I think it's time...

Reply #9
Ok, see I don't think you guys quite understood what I meant. I wasn't talking so much about the prices of the cars but moreover the availability. No matter how much you want to pay for them the fact of the matter is that cars in good condition are starting to come up short. What I'm saying is we need to stop parting nice ones and hold onto them. But, like I said, that's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

I think it's time...

Reply #10
Quote from: hypostang;356235
Some crazy dude offered me too much for my car in January , now he is driving it .

so that's what happened to your car....I was confused when I first saw your new sig.
-'88 Tbird 3.8
-2012 Altima 2.5 BASE. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Future: Budget 5.0 300 HP.

I think it's time...

Reply #11
I agree with Sarjxx, especially up here in canada, they just dont exist. period, even in rough condition.
1974 Cougar XR7, 351 C, stock. white leather.
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks
1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 3.8L bone stock winter beater, in Gold

I think it's time...

Reply #12
I also agree.  My car has some rust and dents(that I plan on taking care of), but I haven't seen another fox body other than a mustang in Wisconsin for a long time.  I also get asked all the time what year my car is, when I say 85 most people ask why it's not rockin collector plates or just compliment me on a nice ride.  These cars are hard to find in a lot of areas.  On the other hand though we could still keep parting out non-essential parts.

I think it's time...

Reply #13
What It's going to come down to is... WHO actually has one left in the world. THAT will make our cars worth anything in the future. We s and part them like there are millions left. In the end it will be about the few that survived. I'm guessing that more than half of the cars here will be long gone in another 10 years, only because no one want's to restore one like they do to mustangs.... I've had mine for almost 23 years, and I will have it in another 20 years. I'm in it for the long haul...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

I think it's time...

Reply #14
I really wish I could still find these things in junk yards. I just found an 86 Cougar that had no usable parts left because, well, the interior of the car had a big fire and everything was melted. It looked like it was an ignition switch failure....

Hell I wish I could find a half way decent one. I know where an 88 Sport in Twilight Blue Metallic with a Shadow Blue interior is just sitting most of the time. The thing is fairly clean but the guy will not sell it. It really doesn't need much resto work but the guy will not sell it, at least to me. He won't even talk price.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.