Skip to main content
Topic: Mustang C/C Plates (Read 5534 times) previous topic - next topic

Mustang C/C Plates

Ok, before anybody jumps my case I've already searched.  I can't ever find anything relevant to what I want to know with the search feature on this site.  What is involved in making Mustang plates work in a Tbird?  I know MM makes Tbird specific ones but I personally have issues with MM and would like to avoid them.  I'm using Mustang coilovers with stock Tbird strut mounts at the moment just to roll the car around.  I would like to modify whatever is necessary to use the Mustang plates but I have no idea what's involved.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #1
the three bolts that hold them in are not in the exact same spot . I believe that you have to  drill one new hole , but I'm not 100% sure it's only one
Fox-less at the moment

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #2
Well if that's really all there is to it then that's good news.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #3
On the passenger side, the pattern is shorter front to rear. as stated, you will need to redrill one hole to make them fit.
On the driver's side, the pattern is flipped and shorter. depending on the adjustment range of your brand of plates this might be an issue for getting into proper alignment specs.

If you already have mustang plates, I'd say mock em up and see what you like. If not, I wouldnt waste your time; just get the MM parts
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #4
Quote from: gumby;354816
On the passenger side, the pattern is shorter front to rear. as stated, you will need to redrill one hole to make them fit.
On the driver's side, the pattern is flipped and shorter. depending on the adjustment range of your brand of plates this might be an issue for getting into proper alignment specs.

If you already have mustang plates, I'd say mock em up and see what you like. If not, I wouldnt waste your time; just get the MM parts

I think when it comes down to it I'll just weld the holes shut and drill my own in the correct places.

On another note, does anyone know the exact length of the rear control arms?  I'm talking  to one company about making control arms for us but I need the exact center-center measurements.  I tried to measure my car awhile ago but I couldn't get very accurate measurements in the dark with the car in the ground.  I got 10.25 for the uppers and 17.75 for the lowers.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #5
There are a few vendors out there BESIDES MM that have rear control arms for us, but this is the one most people go with...

CHE Performance:
http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=30

I don't want to ask about your MM experience.  Because personally, I have had GREAT success with MM stuff.  A little pricey is my only complaint.

Point Seven Five

Reply #6
3/4" is what I've read regarding length difference, and that's the amount I used when modding the IRS cradle.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #7
Quote from: The Shredder;354825
There are a few vendors out there BESIDES MM that have rear control arms for us, but this is the one most people go with...

CHE Performance:

I don't want to ask about your MM experience.  Because personally, I have had GREAT success with MM stuff.  A little pricey is my only complaint.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they make a quality product based solely on other's experiences.  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of purchasing from them.  I've never used anything from MM but I have seen it fail in a drag environment.  I know that's not their intended crowd and I guess I should have been more clear that I'm not trying to bash MM.

Quote from: t3skidoo;354826
3/4" is what I've read regarding length difference, and that's the amount I used when modding the IRS cradle.

Is that the difference in the lowers or what? 

I've been speaking with Kevin Slaby, owner of Baseline Suspensions, today about rear suspension for our cars.  I asked him if he could make control arms that were the correct length for our cars.  Apparently the lowers are nearly the same length and the difference can be made up with the adjusters.  However, the uppers are about an inch longer.  He can make them the correct length though for about the same price.  The thing I was most excited to hear though was that he could also make his relocated upper Pro Launch kit with the correct am length for us.  For those that don't know, the relocated uppers correct the instant center issues that the stock uppers have.  More than likely I'll be using his Pro Launch #3 kit on my car.

I'm not bashing anybody else's product here.  I just thought I'd share a little info for people looking for a  more drag oriented suspension.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #8
Quote from: The Shredder;354825

CHE Performance:

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they make a quality product based solely on other's experiences.  I'm not trying to talk anyone out of purchasing from them.  Just talk to them.  If you like what you hear them by all means, jump on it.

Quote from: t3skidoo;354826

I've been speaking with Kevin Slaby, owner of Baseline Suspensions, today about rear suspension for our cars.  I asked him if he could make control arms that were the correct length for our cars.  Apparently the lowers are nearly the same length and the difference can be made up with the adjusters.  However, the uppers are about an inch longer.  He can make them the correct length though for about the same price.  The thing I was most excited to hear though was that he could also make his relocated upper Pro Launch kit with the correct am length for us.  For those that don't know, the relocated uppers correct the instant center issues that the stock uppers have.  More than likely I'll be using his Pro Launch #3 kit on my car.

I'm not bashing anybody else's product here.  I just thought I'd share a little info for people looking for a  more drag oriented suspension.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #9
Quote from: jridenour31;354832

correct

I don't know about the uppers, but I'm sure someone here does.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #10
I don't know how many times we have to go over this same subject...

Uppers are 1-1/8" longer, lowers are 3/8-1/2" longer (don't have the info right in front of me on the lowers).
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #11
I guess I don't get it.  Weld up the holes on the top of the shock tower, layout new holes to install Mustang CC plates (get monk to bless the hole pattern), install Mustang CC plates, and now I guess pray again you can achieve the alignment specs you need for your application.  All of this instead of just getting the MM plates that bolt in and will get you what most need alignment wise for street, road courses, and drag racing.

Is there something in particular that that the MM pieces will not do that the Mustang style CC plates will as far as adjustment for your application?  I am seriously interested as this sounds like a lot of work and layout to get the geometry correct.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #12
Sounds more like he has personal issues with MM.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #13
Quote from: Chuck W;354843
I don't know how many times we have to go over this same subject...

Uppers are 1-1/8" longer, lowers are 3/8-1/2" longer (don't have the info right in front of me on the lowers).

I don't doubt that this has been gone over a million times but I can't ever find what I'm looking for with the search on this site.  Even after asking this question I still don't have an exact measurement on the center-center length for the Tbird arms.

As far as doing the work to make the Mustang plates work, what's so difficult about welding a few holes shut and drilling new ones?  Issues with MM aside, I'd rather spend an hour doing some work and saving $70 and buying from a company I actually like.

Mustang C/C Plates

Reply #14
The measurements for a Mustang that I've found are 17.625 and 9.25 so I'm assuming you're measurements are 18 and 10.375?  I was laying under my car in the dark trying to get the measurements so mine probably aren't right but they were pretty close.