Skip to main content
Topic: My 87 LX (Read 82241 times) previous topic - next topic

My 87 LX

Reply #75
Thanks y'all I got my rubber brake line in yesterday so I can finish up the rear brakes now. Got the tranny all cleaned up primered and painted yesterday along with drilling and re-tapping my shifter mount bolt holes... nothing is worse than a sloppy shifter not its tight as can be. I love the steeda tri-ax lol.

Time to get crackin'

My 87 LX

Reply #76
Probably no more work to the bird until tax time. Tax time rolls around Im going to order the weld's and rubber, my new clutch cable, fuel cell, battery relocation kit, radiator, and some other misc parts.

Now on to play the tax time waiting game WHOOOO

My 87 LX

Reply #77
You have been waiting to do this for a very long time. I am glad to be seeing progress. There is a bird at the junkyard here with the same two tone brown fender as your car. Forgot what you wanted to do bodywork wise. Give us all a final list of mods and things, and check them off as you go.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My 87 LX

Reply #78
body wise it changes as the car progresses, but I have decided on the color for sure. Im going to lay down black basecoat with a red pear midcoat and a ton of clear to give it that deep dark red color. Turbo coupe hood, somtime in the future when my other project is buttoned up is going to get cut up and cowled maybe 2-2.5". black out the windows, satin trim, satin bird emblems on draglites with turbocoupe bumper and LX header. Going to tint one of the pairs of taillights I have for it so they look blacked out, doing the outer and inner marker lights the same way. Im going to adjust the suspention so it has a slight rake with the slicks and skinnies. Oh and I have an aftermarket spoiler laying around here that came off a SRT-10 ram and it sort of resembles a fatter,lower version of the mach1 spoiler.

I think its going to be one sick looking creation by the time Im done playing with it. I hope it turns out half as cool as I am imagining it in my head. Its going to have a few touches of chrome here and there but thats about it

My 87 LX

Reply #79
Gotta love the no-buck mods

My buddie's brother loaned me his draglites for the winter so I can get a rough idea of what its gonna look like. His pooooor mustang is playing daily driver duty this winter.

But I got a wild hair today and cut up my junk TC hood and Im starting to make a cowl hood out of it

My 87 LX

Reply #80
can't wait to see the outcome of your hood.. i thought about doing it the opposite way, so that the scoops draw air OUT of the engine compartment

oh, and.. she looks shagxxxxy with welds ;)
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

My 87 LX

Reply #81
Welp, I got a little fabbin done. nothing to brag about. but its somthing.

My 87 LX

Reply #82
Sweet, you just waiiting for taxes now?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

My 87 LX

Reply #83
Yep. and when they come in Im going to feel like being a monkey throwin some barrels down some ramps

My 87 LX

Reply #84
nice donkey kong refference.. lol can't wait to see the hood finished

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

My 87 LX

Reply #85
What Im going to do after I get the cowl part welded together is cut the hole in the under side of the hood for the scoops and cut another big fkin hole for the air cleaner to nuzzle into.. With the 302 a performer 289 intake 1" spacer and the holley carb she sits just high enough to hit the hood so im hoping I can get away with running a tad taller air cleaner and have a fully functional cowl/ ram air setup.

Its gonna look wild and the fact it looks somewhat "factory" makes it that much cooler.

My 87 LX

Reply #86
it would be sweet if you could get the hole for the breather just big enough to fit around the filter, so the scoops feed it nothing but cool, fresh air.. then 90% of your under-hood heat would be kept away from the filter and you'd have a happier motor lol

My 87 LX

Reply #87
thats what I was thinkin. I was also thinkin of ditchin the base plate for a box.. to seal it up quite a bit better then it would be cold air only. but thats in the air. Maybe when the next motor is done I might think about that but style and functionality are key. I dont want somthing on this car that wont be used. Its a street/strip destined car 2 main points on some of my reasonings Keep it cool, eek every bit of performance out of this puppy.

I want to have a full interiored car with all the creature comforts with a semi-stock appearence. Save weight where I can. The only things that Im really hunting for for it are a manual drivers seat track and a way to have the lightest full audio system I can have. subs in the trunk are going to be a task seeing how its gonna have a battery and  a cell back there.. oh well better weight distribution anyway. lol.

My 87 LX

Reply #88
sounds like your plans are similar to my blue TC.. only non-stock appearing things are the hood and wheels.. and the sonic blue paint, of course

My 87 LX

Reply #89
yep. Ive had the car almost 10 years, My ideas have changed so many times since I got it. but I grew up with this car. I was 12 when I got it. It has went from this insane 347 fuelie motor with a s-trim and a 150 shot, to a boosted 331, to a kenne bell 351 to a 302 with some bolt ons to my final idea of a 408 or 427 roller (depending on cash) with a s-trim on it or some sort of roots style blower.

It was origionally going to be the sandalwood color and black, then orange, then pitch black, sonic blue, and I finally settled on black cherry.

it went from 17" torque thrusts, to weld pro stars, FR500's, Cobra R's, waffle stars, to finally draglites

Ive got a history with this car. It is my first driveable car and it will never go away. it takes roost over the restoration of my 70 bel-air hands down just cause I want to drive it without it upsetting me. I have the mile marker car. I started with a bone stock car aside from the t5 and 8.8. BUT everything under the car has been altered and modified. I cant wait to brag about the difference all the hard work has made.