Skip to main content
Topic: Engine Upgrade Help (Read 894 times) previous topic - next topic

Engine Upgrade Help

So, what started as simply doing the head gasket has now expanded to me wanting to basically rebuild the entire top end of my 'Bird. SO: I'm putting on a 4bbl intake and carb from an '85 Mustang and will be doing a valve-grind job, but now I kind of want to go whole hog and do the timing chain. And so I figure if I'm doing that I might as well throw in a cam, and if I'm doing that I might as well throw in new lifters and so on...What I was hoping for was for some insight into what I should look for in terms of cam grinds/brands/lifters, etc. I would like to know what you guys/gals have done.

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #1
What do you plan to with the car? Daily driving/cruising/occasional fun car?
Track only? Drag? Autocross?

How much do want to spend?

and what engine are you starting with?
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #2
What year is your car? If its an 85 or newer, see if your hydralic roller or not. For the best bang for the buck, stock H.O. cam, and lifters.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #3
My 'Bird is my daily driver, but I want a car that I can shamelessly take to the strip on a High School Drag day, or street legals night but also be able to have a relatively uniform power curve where if I will have at least a decent Autocross car. Sounds complicated I know but I think you'll understand; I just want more performance that doesn't hamstring me into one particular type of motorsport. My 'Bird is and '83 and I KNOW that it is NOT rollerized...and to keep the costs down I don't really want to go to a roller cam.

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #4
Well, if it were me, I'd find an HO short block, throw on at least some GT40 heads, preferably some TFS heads, and decent 4bbl intake/carb combo, some bbk shorties, and while you have the engine out, change to a higher stall torque converter, and throw an o/r h pipe and 2.5" exhaust on. I'd also change the gearing and put at least 11" front brakes on.

I dunno what your budget is, but that's pretty close to what I'd do with an older Fox, money allowing. Hope this gives you an idea...of course, you can make more power with more money, just depends on what you have to spend. Also, with it a daily driver, there comes a point where things become akin to using a broadsword to butter toast, if you will.

There's no way I could (or would even try) to drive an 8mpg hotted-up Tbird to work 5 days a week, for example.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #5
If you're not planing on pulling the short-block I would run a mild cam because you will not be able to install a stall converter without pulling it or the tranny. If it were me and I was in your situation I would get something like the Edelbrock performer power package. It makes good power from idle to 5500 rpm. It includes the intake, carb, and cam & lifters for $601 from Jegs. It's a matched kit so there is no guessing. Sound like a  Edelbrock commercial. But know BS, me and a freind installed this kit on a 67 bronco and it run very good for the money and worked well with the stock stall.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Engine Upgrade Help

Reply #6
Save your money and just get a cam that 2 steps over stock. Speed-pro or something cheap that will do.
Your better off spending money on upgrading Brakes, Rearend, Suspension, tranny before you go for power so just do what you need and leave it for now.

Things to upgrade as you go along.
Being a 83 T bird odds are you have 7.5 rear with open dif. So drag racing you will not be happy doing one wheel burn out and tire fire around conners in Autocross.
Get 8.8 from a TC and get disks out back and upgrade the front brakes as well.
Tranny will not be to happy with you as well. Trans Cooler, shift kit if its in good shape will help alot.
You still have Suspension to look at.
Frame Connectors will help too.

The list can go on and on.
Autocross tires or stock?

If this was up to me i would just drive the car and work on your driving skill.
A good driver in a slow car can beat a fast car with a poor driver.