Skip to main content
Topic: 4 bbl. Intake and Carb (Read 3189 times) previous topic - next topic

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

I elected to wait to do my head gaskets until I could find the money to also install a 4 bbl intake and carb. As such I found a guy who is selling me the stock intake a carb from an '85 Mustang GT. As far as I know the carb is the factory carb. So I'm wondering if anybody has any useful tips on how to modify the Automatic Kickdown so as to work on the "new" carb. I know that if say you buy a carb from Edelbrock or Holley you have to buy a Lokar adapter bracket but I'm not 100% sure if I need it for a factory Ford piece. The guy says that the carb was from a manual transmission Mustang. ($100 for the intake and carb seemed pretty decent to me)

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #1
I would find a kickdown for the carbed motor

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #2
Since it is a Holley carb I would assume that you could just call Holley and get the parts for the kick down if they are in fact missing.  I know the direct replacement carb from Holley is a part number 0-80457 and it comes with all the necessary hardware for the kick down.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #3
Quote from: Hutch;348547
I elected to wait to do my head gaskets until I could find the money to also install a 4 bbl intake and carb. As such I found a guy who is selling me the stock intake a carb from an '85 Mustang GT. As far as I know the carb is the factory carb. So I'm wondering if anybody has any useful tips on how to modify the Automatic Kickdown so as to work on the "new" carb. I know that if say you buy a carb from Edelbrock or Holley you have to buy a Lokar adapter bracket but I'm not 100% sure if I need it for a factory Ford piece. The guy says that the carb was from a manual transmission Mustang. ($100 for the intake and carb seemed pretty decent to me)

I am guessing this is a Canadian car that has a 2 bbl carb and an AOD?
Maybe you can adapt your existing TV cable to the 4bbl carb.
In any case you will want to search on here for the TV adjustment procedure so you don't damage your AOD.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #4
Quote from: softtouch;348590
I am guessing this is a Canadian car that has a 2 bbl carb and an AOD?
Maybe you can adapt your existing TV cable to the 4bbl carb.
In any case you will want to search on here for the TV adjustment procedure so you don't damage your AOD.

So did Canadian T-Birds come with the 2 bbl stock? I had thought that the fact that the TBI system was gone in favour of a true carb meant that the engine had been rebuilt. Yes it is a Canadian 'Bird.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #5
It doesn't look like it would be that hard to make...

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #6
Quote from: Hutch;348697
So did Canadian T-Birds come with the 2 bbl stock? I had thought that the fact that the TBI system was gone in favour of a true carb meant that the engine had been rebuilt. Yes it is a Canadian 'Bird.

Yes 83 & 84's built for Canada came with carbs. Not sure about 85's.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #7
Quote from: softtouch;348711
Yes 83 & 84's built for Canada came with carbs. Not sure about 85's.

That's actually pretty cool to know thanks.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #8
Do I need to upgrade my stock mechanical fuel pump?

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #9
Quote from: Hutch;350693
Do I need to upgrade my stock mechanical fuel pump?

Not for a fairly stock motor. Thats alway something that can be upgraded later.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #10
Go here and read under "Fuel Requirements".  From there you should be able to calculate how much fuel your fuel pump needs to be supplying.  I thought that was some good tech data and I saved the article.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/Fuel%20Pump%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #11
Quote from: Aerocoupe;350754
Go here and read under "Fuel Requirements".  From there you should be able to calculate how much fuel your fuel pump needs to be supplying.  I thought that was some good tech data and I saved the article.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/Fuel%20Pump%20Tech%20Info.pdf

Darren

Nice link.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #12
Hey did you guys find a fix for this? Ive just run into the same issue. I put a new holley and a new edlebrock on the car, and with them, the kickdown lever has the spring almost maxed out, probably not the ideal place. since then Ive discovered my air cleaner doesnt fit. she's too wide, leans on the distributor. so ive gone and grabbed a 1" spacer plate. and now the linkage doesnt even go that far. any suggestions on an extender of sorts for it? ive got pictures of my conundrum if you need them.
1974 Cougar XR7, 351 C, stock. white leather.
1983 Coug' LS-XR7-1/ A/c Delete, Edlebrock Intake, Holley 600 4bbl, Custom Badging, True dual Glasspacks
1989 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 3.8L bone stock winter beater, in Gold

4 bbl. Intake and Carb

Reply #13
Not sure if we are talking about a kickdown cable or rod hear, but this is what I used when I went from a v-6 2 bbl to a 302 holley 4 bbl
on my 83 Bird.
my kickdown ROD was to short and this fixed the problem for me.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-20-41/
Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily: 
  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:birdsmily: :birdsmily: :birdsmily::birdsmily:
1983 base model,1969 302 (originally a v6),upraded c5,currently 30,441 original miles.