Skip to main content
Topic: Well it wasn't the drain plugs. See post 46 for culprit. :/ (Read 8965 times) previous topic - next topic

Well it wasn't the drain plugs. See post 46 for culprit. :/

So I'm starting a new job on Monday and I figure I should do an oil change tomorrow, it's coming up on that time. Now the 5.0 has two drain plugs, and they are always trickling oil. I bought new drain plugs and the new ones (with the new nylon washers) leak.

So I'm either going to nylon tape the threads or I thought maybe use the Permatex gasket material in the can- The brush on stuff. Which do you guys think would work better?

I thought the tape might break free and get sucked up by the oil pump, but I don't know. What do you guys do? I can't be the only one with an annoying oil trickle.

Reply #1
Mine do not leak. I would just use some nylon tape and not worry about it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
Quote from: Haystack;346210
Mine do not leak. I would just use some nylon tape and not worry about it.
:iagree:
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
I always just use the squishable nylon washer.  Seems to work great.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #4
The tape isn't going to solve anything. The threads aren't supposed to seal the hole... The washer is. Try cleaning the surface where the washer seats on the pan and the bolt. If there is a cut or debris on either side, it will leak.
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #5
Well the bolts are new and I tried using new nylon washers, but they still dribble. Should I just coat the head of the bolt which sits on the oil pan in permatex formagasket, you know the red stuff in a brush can?

Reply #6
Quote from: BadTriumph;346325
The tape isn't going to solve anything. The threads aren't supposed to seal the hole... The washer is. Try cleaning the surface where the washer seats on the pan and the bolt. If there is a cut or debris on either side, it will leak.

The tape WILL seal the threads. Yes the washer is supposed to and will if both sides of the washer are flawless. The last pan that I couldn't get to seal had the bolt over tightened causing the thread insert to distort outward. The solution was to file the pan flat where the plastic washer seats allowing for a better seal....problem solved.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #7
I didn't say the tape wouldn't seal it. I said it wouldn't solve the problem. The threads are only bolt threads, not pipe threads. They weren't designed to seal. If you wrap them up with enough teflon tape, they will seal. You also stand the chance of getting the teflon tape in your oil pan and therefore up in your engine. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal, but if a chunk of it gets caught up  in an oil gallery, you could wipe a bearing. Not really worth the risk I would think. Better to fix it right.
2017 Subaru Outback
2007 Lincoln MKZ
1990 Ford F250 / Banks turbo diesel

Reply #8
You're sure it's the drain plug? If you have a low oil level sensor they like to leak as well. The oil tends to run down to the rear drain plug and drip from there. Mine did that. I ended up removing the low oil level sensor and installing a plug. Problem solved.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
Quote from: BadTriumph;346325

x2
also, unless the bolt w/washer behind the counter is cheaper for it i use the copper washers on my cars. replace them every oil change and never have any leak issues, try different washers.
"Beating the hell out of other peoples cars since 1999"
1983 Ford Thunderbird Heritage
1984 Ford Mustang GT Turbo Convertible

Reply #10
Go to the Ford Dealer and buy replacement Drain Plug bolts, the new ones have O-rings embossed into the bolt heads and don't cost much.  I have these and they seal great.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #11
Quote from: thunderjet302;346389
You're sure it's the drain plug? If you have a low oil level sensor they like to leak as well. The oil tends to run down to the rear drain plug and drip from there. Mine did that. I ended up removing the low oil level sensor and installing a plug. Problem solved.

Yeah, mine did that, I replaced that sending unit with a plug a while back, oddly enough that was was the only bolt that didn't leak. Anyway, I didn't think ford would have them, I changed the oil the other day before 88blue responded, but I just cleaned them really well, cleaned the oil pan, and put a piece of teflon tape on the threads. We'll see. If they continue to trickle the small amount they do, I'll go to ford in 2000 miles when I change the oil again.

Reply #12
Well I changed the oil and teflon taped the thread, but the bolts are leaking again. WTF!? I tried cleaning the oil pan, some of the paint and such to make a better seal, but this apparently did not work. So now what can I do. Buying new bolts didn't work last time, teflon tape on the threads didn't work this time.. I'm out of ideas.

Reply #13
mine did the same i found some soft rubber gasket washers in a bag at work idk were to get them but they stoped my leaks

Reply #14
Thats wierd. I bought two new ones, just like the ones that were on the bolts from a local pats store last oil change, and they didn't help at all.