Skip to main content
Topic: Well it wasn't the drain plugs. See post 46 for culprit. :/ (Read 9079 times) previous topic - next topic

Well it wasn't the drain plugs. See post 46 for culprit. :/

Reply #15
I've had oil leaking problems in the stock 5.0 pan in the convertible for years. It all started when I switched to synthetic oil; since then I've tried rubber, plastic, and composite washers on aftermarket magnetic drain plugs. All of them leaked. Took them off, just ran the magnetic plugs. Still they leaked.

Since I'm not going to change the type of oil, I decided to change plugs. Put the stock ones back in...so far, so good. There are no washers of any type on them.

Just throwing this into the ring.

Reply #16
Quote from: EricCoolCats;349372
Since I'm not going to change the type of oil, I decided to change plugs. Put the stock ones back in...so far, so good. There are no washers of any type on them.

Unfortunately, the problem has been here a while and in the beginning the car had the factory drain plugs. For a while, the first few oil changes there were no gaskets and or thread type. Since then I've tried new washers, and most recently I Teflon taped the bolts, to no avail.

* I really just need a new  car. lol

Reply #17
I may go to ford and try to get a new drain plug from them at this point. The bolt in there says "China" on it, which could be my problem.

Reply #18
5.0 engines don't leak, they just mark their territory..lol

Ford drainplugs FTMFW.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #19
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;353540
5.0 engines don't leak, they just mark their territory..lol

Ford drainplugs FTMFW.

If it was one or two drips every day, wouldn't be a big deal. But it's like a quart every 1.5-2 weeks.

Reply #20
you've got the wrong drain plug installed.  no you personally but someone at sometime has done it to you.
with a magnifying glass and light, inspect the threads on the pan.  Ill bet you find some of the threads are kinda folded over or inconsistent as they sprial around.

post up a picture of the bolt then,,,,,,,,, a close up of the head of the bolt.

ill bet its not the correct pitch or thread count.

to further justify this.....

IF YOU CAN  install your drain plug completely by hand with just a simple little half or qtr turn to tighten, then its worn out or wrong.

on both my cougs, I can only install my lower drain plug about 3/4 of the way then i have to use a socket for the rest of the distance.

you can catch your old oil easy enough with a plastic bag in your old drip pan to keep it clean so it can be re-installed.

Reply #21
I could see what jcassity said pretty easily. Last time I changed the oil in the wagon, I had to un-thread it all the way before any oil came out. No gasket, oring or washer. Does not leak a drop.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #22
Quote from: Haystack;353592
I could see what jcassity said pretty easily. Last time I changed the oil in the wagon, I had to un-thread it all the way before any oil came out. No gasket, oring or washer. Does not leak a drop.

I can get mine in a couple of thread before using a ratchet. Maybe about half way or so. Now the current bolt is from CAP, I matched one out of the Dorman bins from a bolt that comes with the replacement oil pan they sell. I guess I'll have to swing by Ford one of these days and bite the bullet and allow them to rape me $12 for a drain plug. The front one was from CAP too, it drips about 1 drop a week, literally. Which I have no problem with, lol.

Reply #23
i would make sure the bolt arent to loose when you start them should be tight after first turn you shouldent be able to screw them all the way in with your hand...

Reply #24
I have a ford motor sport pan and both plugs leaked rite from the get go had drips when it was still on the stand. Afraid to tighten and waste the threads in the pan. Its been four oil changes and stll havent fixed it. Why do tomorow what you can do next week.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #25
Quote from: thewestie;353777
I have a ford motor sport pan and both plugs leaked rite from the get go had drips when it was still on the stand. Afraid to tighten and waste the threads in the pan. Its been four oil changes and stll havent fixed it. Why do tomorow what you can do next week.

Well when you go through a quart of oil a week and always have to check the oil, everyday, it becomes a problem, you know? lol

Reply #26
Or you could have a car with high miles and no oil leak. Ask some of the guys on here that have had over 250k miles.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #27
aww,, just get yourself a thin copper or brass washer.  ill bet you see no more drips

Reply #28
Quote from: jpc647;353863
Well when you go through a quart of oil a week and always have to check the oil, everyday, it becomes a problem, you know? lol

I had an old work truck it was fill up the oil and check the gas. I like the Idea of a copper or brass washer that JCassity Suggested
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #29
Checker "o-riley's" had some copper washers that you would use on brake line fittings in the dorman/help section.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.