Skip to main content
Topic: Convert SO to HO ? (Read 3661 times) previous topic - next topic

Convert SO to HO ?

I've been trying to find a decent HO 5.0 engine but they are hard to come by now a days in NY. I even tried to buy a complete parts car but there aren't many left The ones I've found have 100K+ miles and are $700+. I think an engine with that kind of mileage should be rebuilt. A coworker has a HO long block core with GT40 aluminum heads and E303 cam for which he wants $800. Is that a fair price ? I don't plan on any racing just street use like maybe a daily driver.

I'm thinking I can convert my SO by installing a roller cam, GT40P heads and Explorer intake. Are there any other difference's ? I have a Windsor Fox mass air conversion harness I'll install as well.

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1962 Thunderbird convertible
1971 Mustang Mach1 429SCJ

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #1
Our stock engines have flat top pistons,so be careful with cam and head choice. You can install a Mustang H.O cam and I'd bet GT40 heads (or "P" heads) without issue. As far as the $800.00 engine...if it's in good shape,I'd say yes,it's worth it. Maybe you could talk him down in price a little Money in the hand can speak pretty loudly.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #2
Oh, if you install the GT40-P heads,Explorer intake and H.O Mustang cam,you'll have a strong runner and you won't need Mass Air. You will need to replace the valve springs in a big way. Stock explorer springs are way to soft for an H.O engine.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #3
I would keep looking ,and IMHO  a rebuild is not necessarily a "must do" on a 100K HO .
 I just did an HO conversion (less heads) on my 178k SO  , as long as the engine has good compression and oil pressure there should not be a lot to worry about .

Oh yeah don't rule out a Mark VII LSC as an engine donor they have HOs and are usually treated with a a lighter foot than 5.0 stangs
Fox-less at the moment

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #4
if you go with the GT40 heads and a cam with the Explorer intake,you can do that for super cheap,and get a lot of happiness from it.

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #5
Wow, not to be a dick but $800 for a running HO is INFLIPPINGSANE.  Dealing with stangs all the time its hard to get $200 out of a good running HO
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #6
aluminum gt40 heads are worth more. I would still try to talk him down, but that might be a fair price where your from.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #7
Quote from: jandmmustangs;343410
Wow, not to be a dick but $800 for a running HO is INFLIPPINGSANE.  Dealing with stangs all the time its hard to get $200 out of a good running HO

How far are you out of NYC ? I'm not opposed to a road trip if it's not too far ? Also looking for 94 Front spindles with brakes and rear axles w/disc brakes. Do you have ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #8
Quote from: Haystack;343413
aluminum gt40 heads are worth more. I would still try to talk him down, but that might be a fair price where your from.

If it were a running engine I would buy it but he said it has rust on the cylinders from sitting outside so if I'm going to pull it apart to hone the cylinders I'll rebuild it.

What are aluminum GT40 heads worth ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #9
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;343423
If it were a running engine I would buy it but he said it has rust on the cylinders from sitting outside so if I'm going to pull it apart to hone the cylinders I'll rebuild it.

What are aluminum GT40 heads worth ?

And he still wants $800 for it? That guys got some high hopes. It may be worth your while to travel outside of NYC to find a motor/donor car. I paid $500 for my '87 LSC with an HO motor. $800 for a non-running needs work engine is insane.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #10
I missed the rusting cylinders...

There worth slightly more then gt-40's. New they were twice the price. One of the oldest after-market heads out there.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #11
Quote from: Mr-Mach1;343420
How far are you out of NYC ? I'm not opposed to a road trip if it's not too far ? Also looking for 94 Front spindles with brakes and rear axles w/disc brakes. Do you have ?

Im about 2hrs outside of NYC.  I don't have much since the divorce, but the local U-Pull yards always have good stuff in em.  I can check the stock for ya if you want.
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #12
Quote from: vinnietbird;343382
if you go with the GT40 heads and a cam with the Explorer intake,you can do that for super cheap,and get a lot of happiness from it.

What is a fair price for an Explorer intake & heads ?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 Falcon XB-GT Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #13
I've seen GT40 heads for $250 and up. I've seen the GT40P heads cheaper than the GT40's, but the "P" heads are better. Most people are scared of them due to the plug angle. It's really nothing to worry about. There are Explorer intakes all over for less than a hundred bucks. You may be able to find a complete Explorer?Mountaineer engine for cheap if you shop around. My Mountaineer engine had less than 15,xxx miles on it and I got it totally complete for $125.00. It's sitting between the fenders of the Sport right now.

Convert SO to HO ?

Reply #14
Quote from: vinnietbird;343447
find a complete Explorer/Mountaineer engine for cheap

This.
Best bet, and I can get one around here for about 250 if I pull it out...how many do you need? lol

Get rid of the coil packs, put a distributor and HO cam in, and badda bing.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6