Skip to main content
Topic: How ADD is your car collection? (Read 3700 times) previous topic - next topic

How ADD is your car collection?

People always assume when you have old cars, you bought them for a reason. I always wanted a toyota 4runner, then drifted into wanting a lexus LS400. Yet I always drove my tbird, camaro, van, etc, and people never understood my choice in cars. Well they werent really anything more than a oppurtunity that I took.

How "ADD" is your car collection?

My first car was my tbird, I aquired it from my uncle because he abandoned it in 1996. It was parked in front of my grandmas house for almost 2 years, which is when all the rust started. The transmission had a little bit of slip in overdrive so he just went out and bought a suburban and just forgot about it. My dad LOVED the car, so we took it to my house and parked it out back to prevent any further salt damage. 10 years later he gave it to me for my 16th birthday.

Around the time I graduated high school, I was still mowing yards and making mad dough. My neighbor across the street always had this camaro out front that just sat. His son drove it through high school, upon joining the marines, he bought a 2000-ish SS camaro which sounded sick, so of course he forgot about the little 305 camaro.

Well here I am mowing his grass, and he is out there fiddeling with it (the dad) and made a joke about paying me with a car. I kept poking at him about it until he made an offer, which was to mow for the remainder of the season, and $500.

I've yet to see another (at the time i bought it) 63k mile camaro on craigslist, let alone under $2000.

Then came my astro van, I needed something to haul my photography equipment around. It was an ok buy at $800 bucks. Someone converted the 4.3 to a 350 so needless to say it sounded like a trailer park van. It was sweet but didnt have the elegance I needed as a wedding photographer, so I sold it for $950

I drove that night to my aunts house, handed her that same $950 and bought her explorer. not bad for a '99 with under 100k.

I recently aquired my dads van. its a 1977 he bought new. It sat out back next to the tbird, and was there since 98 or so.

I'm going to practice welding on it/ make it nice. it will make him happy that we didnt take it to the s yard.

I'm trying to get his old toyota truck too, but he still has his claws deeeeeep in it haha.

Even though he hasnt driven it for 4 years or so, well hell, since I was in jr high...

So I just felt like using server space, and I know I enjoy reading stories as long as they have pictures so I figured i'd add to everyones content :)

Write back with your stories
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #1
I like to think there's some logic to my choices and I usually put some thought into my purchases.

When i bought my S10, I wanted a compact truck and preferred American brands so my only other chioce was the Ranger.  The S10 had the better drivetrain IMO and I liked the styling better so that's what I ended up with.

I bought my Cougar because I wanted an older pony car and Cougars are quite a bit cheaper than Mustangs and Camaros.  Its probably not my favorite pony car, but I still like it because its unique.

The only car where I specifiaclly set out to buy a particular model was the Mark VII.  I looked for about eight months before I found the one.  I liked it so much, I later bought an identical car with the SE package and moonroof.

The only car I own that I bought on a whim was a 1979 Malibu that I'm currently trying to sell.
1990 Mark VII LSC
1990 Mark VII LSC SE
1969 Cougar 351W

Reply #2
I have a pretty short list. Technically, most of my first cars were my dad's. Cars I have purchased with my own money are.

87 v-6 cougar
87 v-6 cougar
87 v-8 thunderbird
87 v-8 thunderbird
88 5.0 crown vic

Technically the 98 neon should fall into that list, but I was married into it. It was the wifes car, I just paid for it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
I have the 1987 Thunderbird with the V-6 and a 1977 Toyota Celica GT Coupe.
"I put my foot in my tank and I began to roll." Chuck Berry

Reply #4
Well i have had a few cars over the years.

82 Z28 that went from stock to 400SB 9inch ladder bar set up over a few years.
85 RS capri that stayed stock.
84 S10
87 Thunderbird. A honda Killed it.
83 Couger that i had for a few years that got smushed by a Jeep and wall.
I still have my 85 T bird but its a Big Block Big Tire car now :)

Reply #5
My one and only 1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan with the 302 :D

I got it for $300, my dad's friend originally bought it for the engine, but instead let it sit for 8 years at the edge of the yard he worked at. So, we went to see it, and after pouring some gas down the CFI, she fired right up. We did some minor brake work and got her home. Baking in the sun with woods on one side of her left the entire clear coat to completely disappear on one side and become flaky on the other. Over the course of maybe a year, saving all my money, selling nearly everything I own, I slowly got her running strong again. A huge list of parts and countless hours working on it.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #6
My collection has been all Ford.  I sold the 82 Cougar wagon in October but I still have the 86, 92, tbirds and the 92 Ranger and the wifes 08 Avenger.
Armed Forces Car Club
Eastern Sierra Chapter, California
WEB:  armedforcescarclub.com

Reply #7
I tried to think there was logic involved with my all the cars I have had or own and all I can come up with is that i am probably nuts. Heres my list which probably has 1 or 2 i've forgot but you will notice a theme,
67 T bird, 61 T bird, 72 T bird, 83 T bird, 73 Corvette, 62 Caddy, 64 Caddy, 78 Caddy, 59 T bird, 83 Buick(came with my wife), 89 Festiva(1st new car we bought),94 S-10, 93 Firebird, 95 Dodge, 64 T bird, 65 T bird, 97 T bird, 99 Mustang, 03 Exploder, 65 T bird, 65 T bird, 04 Jeep, 76 T Bird, 70 T bird, 80 T bird, 87 T bird, 83 T bird, 86 Cougar, 10 VW.

Reply #8
Jeesus, it'd take all night to type out the cars I've had. Just since April I sold a Saturn and bought a Chrysler 300, sold a T-Bird and bought a diesel Jetta, and sold a Cherokee and bought a Sonoma...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #9
Oh man, I think I have pics of all but one or two of the cars my wife and I have owned (about 20.)  Might be forgetting a couple but here we go...

1986 Cougar V6 - Wife's first car.  Her dad bought it back in 1988 and gave it to her when she turned 14.  No pic available at this moment...

1974 Caprice Classic - My first car.  Originally had a turd of a 400 SBC.  Replaced engine with built 350 from my 85 Z28 that my friend wrecked for me.

1985 Z28 - Originally a 305/5 speed car, I bought it with a built 350 and a 700R4

1987 IROC - 5.7 TPI and all the options except leather.  Only car that I have crashed.

1995 Camaro 3.4 - Wife's car

1999 Intrepid - Wife's car when she got tired of putting a car seat in a Camaro

2001 Intrepid - Just another car...  Behind the SC

1986 Cougar V8 - Bought in '99 to replace wife's V6 Cougar and because we needed a dependable car for our upcoming addition to the family.  We still have this car, now with a turbo 2.3.  Then and now.

1999 Camaro V6 - Wife's car, traded an Intrepid for it.

1987 IROC - 5.7 TPI.  Wife bought this car on a whim.  She just called me and said I'm buying another Camaro."

2001 Z28 convertible - Sunset Orange Metallic.  This car was my precious (like the ring...)  Had to get rid of it to afford a house for the family.  Traded in for the Cobalt with a lower payment.

1990 Caprice Estate - My parents had several of these when I was growing up and I always loved them, so I bought my own.

1987 Fiero - 2.5, 5 speed.  Fun little car.

1984 Cougar - Only had 40k on it.  I got a good deal on it but never got used to the 83-84 styling and needed a truck.

1990 Thunderbird SC - This car was awesome!  I had exhaust, IC fan, bigger jackshaft and smaller SC pulley.  It moved pretty good.  Very reliable too, I drove it from TX, through KS, to Las Vegas without any problems.  Sold to buy a minivan so my wife could carpool to work.

1997 Silhouette - Only had it a couple of months.  I loved it but it was a pain in the ass to work on and it broke down as we were leaving for one of our Kansas roadtrips.  Should have kept the SC.

2005 Cobalt LS - 2.2, 5 speed.  Good little car.  Good mileage, decent power, nice looks, great stereo.  Traded for Vibe.

1987 Thunderbird TC - Bought as a parts car to swap the 5 speed and rear into my 86 Cougar but I couldn't bring myself to kill it so I fixed it up and drive it.

1996 F150 - Looked for quite a while for a truck like this.  I wanted V8, automatic, bucket seats, and 4WD.  Only thing this truck doesn't have that I wanted was the Eddie Bauer package.  Found this truck in Utah and drove up to get it.  Has 175k on it and drives great.  My daily driver.

2009 Vibe GT - Wife's daily driver.  Traded the Cobalt in on this because our son was just getting too tall to be comfortable in the back seat of the Cobalt.

1986 XR7 - Parts car.  Bought wrecked.  It donated the drivetrain and interior to my 86 Cougar.  Was stolen from my house!

1979 Firebird - Father son project.  Looked decent on the outside but serious rust issues so we sold it. 
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #10
87 Ranger with race built 2.3L, 84 FS Blazer-350, 84 S10 Blazer with comaro 3.1 motor, 86 Tempo 2.3 HSC, 86 FS Bronco 5.0, 91 Mustang 2.3 auto, 89 Mustang 2.3 5SPD, 01 Ranger Edge 4.0 SOHC, 96 Explorer 4.0 OHV and my baby the 88 Cougar which is the only one I still have.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #11
These are the only ones I have pictures of
87 Ranger

01 Ranger

My girl 88 Cougar

89 Mustang

86 Bronco
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #12
What's ADD???

Reply #13
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;342350
1996 F150 - Looked for quite a while for a truck like this.  I wanted V8, automatic, bucket seats, and 4WD.  Only thing this truck doesn't have that I wanted was the Eddie Bauer package.  Found this truck in Utah and drove up to get it.  Has 175k on it and drives great.  My daily driver.

And if you ever want to sell it, lemme know.

That's very nice.
13 Dodge Dart SXT Special Edition
09 Honda Shadow Sabre ---------- 08 Caliber
05 Aztek ---------- 02 Avalanche
02 Thunderbird (4,000 miles) ---------- 02 Cadillac ETC
98 Explorer ---------- 96 Suzuki X-90
89 Fleetwood ---------- 89 Continental
88 Town Car ---------- 86 Silverado ---------- 84 Fiero
83 Town Car ---------- 82 EXP (32,000 miles) ---------- 82 Mercury LN7
80 Mustang (35,000 miles) ---------- 65 Continental
62 Galaxie 500 ---------- 54 Packard

Reply #14
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;342359
What's ADD???

Wow Tom !  You got me out-numbered with the intercoolers...LOL

We currently have 11 vehicles and at least once a week I ask myself: "WTF is my problem? What am I going to do with 5 Birds and 3 Mustangs ?"
LOL

Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10