Skip to main content
Topic: VLED-s in my digital cluster (Read 4398 times) previous topic - next topic

VLED-s in my digital cluster

My current project since I have everything apart to replace my ignition (which fell out once the column shroud was removed) is to Spice up my cluster.

I know the old school LED's gave people problems way back when, but I've heard nothing but good about V-leds (dont know if I am allowed to say their name, sorry if i cant) So i am going to retrofit my filiment bulbs to led ones.

There are SIX 194 bulbs which light the 3 green areas. I've decided to go with white instead of green since there is orange on the screen. My question to the perfectionist nuts who know where i am coming from... for the side (type 37?) bulbs...

Would you use white there, or match the colors?

Ex. green bulbs for the turn indicators, blue for the high, amber for the check engine and red for the brake.

I dont mind buying them all, then returning what I dont need. I just dont like messing with my 20 year old harness 3 times to get the right lighting.

Opinions?

Im honestly leaning towards color matching, but as always love to hear experiences and suggestions (but still white for the 3 main clusters)

-blain
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #1
p.s-

unless this whole project is a trainwreck, is it possible to get to the bulbs in my HVAC unit?

Some are burnt out in there anyway, but it would be sweet to have the cluster radio and hvac glow LED and match....
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #2
Why are you wanting to use colored bulbs? aren't the overlays what make the colors in the cluster anyway?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #3
Quote from: daminc;340119
Why are you wanting to use colored bulbs? aren't the overlays what make the colors in the cluster anyway?

I believe you are right. The dash itself it colored, the bulbs clear. After a quick search i came up with this : http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4050

There is one for a Thunderbird out there, I got a new computer and lost my bookmarks. someone on here might be able to chime in.

Reply #4
ALL the bulbs are white , like Jerry said its the overlays that determine the color .
If you use colored LEDs they will be VERY dim 

You can change the bulbs in your HVAC if you wish , but I dont think it will make much difference in it .
I put all LEDs in my digital cluster but I did not change my HVAC  bulbs
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #5
I figured the pure white would bleed the colors, IE the brake light would be pink, green would be teal, etc.

I can turn the gauge brightness down I guess, so I have votes that white across the cluster is the way to go.

The hvac has burnt out lights anyway, so i figure if im in there I might as well put matching LED's in there. what size bulbs are they anyway?

Sylvania doesn't list the HVAC...

Reply #6
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;340173
I figured the pure white would bleed the colors, IE the brake light would be pink, green would be teal, etc.

I can turn the gauge brightness down I guess, so I have votes that white across the cluster is the way to go.

The hvac has burnt out lights anyway, so i figure if im in there I might as well put matching LED's in there. what size bulbs are they anyway?

Sylvania doesn't list the HVAC...

Is it EATC or manual ?
 I dont remember the number but  the electronic one uses the same bulb as the headlight switch surround panel (turn signals and warning lamps too ) the large sections of the dash are the 194 style,the others look like a small 194
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #7
i think the smaller bulbs in the full electronic cluster are "37"

I have the full electronic hvac too.

A few areas of green are burnt out, and some of the yellow dots arent lighting up.

Reply #8
My cat had all bulbs burnt out (who knows why) but I replaced all the ones in the EATC and Tripminder.  I put a new radio in.  The EATC wasn't all that bad.  Couple connectors and it pulls completely out.  They were tiny bulbs.  I just found similar sized ones at autozone.
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #9
37 sounds right , I have replaced  the EATC bulbs but never the yellow ones.......... I dunno what they are
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #10
ooh, I never knew about this v-led place. I am in love. I've been searching for like a year for some "good" led bulbs. All the  on ebay is all the same chinese garbage. These actually look like they're worth something, and the users seem to like them too. Looks like my full LED conversion may come sooner than I thought.

As far as putting them in your cluster, you have to be aware that LED's are not dimmable. They're either on, or off. So make sure you get some medium brightness ones so that you don't blind yourself at night. I'd say get some 2 3 stars, and 2 4 stars to see if one is too bright, and go from there for the rest.

And, I think it would be a good idea to color match the led's under each different use. Led's put out a much purer white than incandescents, so it will wash them some. I would say to put ambers or greens behind your green areas, since white will make them much lighter, and I think its bad enough already the color that they are. For the rest, I would just color match the reds to the reds, and whites to the whites and blues to blues....etc
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #11
Quote from: sarjxxx;340470
And, I think it would be a good idea to color match the led's under each different use. Led's put out a much purer white than incandescents, so it will wash them some. I would say to put ambers or greens behind your green areas, since white will make them much lighter, and I think its bad enough already the color that they are. For the rest, I would just color match the reds to the reds, and whites to the whites and blues to blues....etc

I have all white ones in my digital cluster and the only light that even remotely changed color was the check engine light, it went from dark orange to like a pale orange , the other lights just got more intense the high beam indicator is a more vivid blue, turn signals vivid green, etc... just my experience .

I will add the leds that only shine from the top are useless in a digital cluster you need the ones that have the leds all around them  like these

http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/Gauge-Cluster-LED/White-LED/2-V-LEDS-5K-WHITE-194-p8804828-1-2.html
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #12
the ones that shine only from the top are useless period.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #13
you are both absolutely right about the side firing bulbs. When I was trying to figure out if the orange in my cluster was a light or overlay, I saw how they have the bulbs behind the plastic bezel, and the plexiglass backing re-fracts it across the back of the lens.

its the same concept as the invisible glass led exit signs I just put up here at work lol

The ones I ordered have 4 side fire LEDs and one top led. Hopefully they fit in there lengthwise.

I also ordered the $20 set to do my inner most bulbs next to my front grille. we will see how this works.

I'm still depressed that my new NOS lenses I bought in 08 are already fogging up inside :(

Reply #14
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;340544
I also ordered the $20 set to do my inner most bulbs next to my front grille. we will see how this works.

I am very interested in those. I ordered some cheap ass chinese garbage ones on ebay and they were not bright enough, and they were also wired backwards and caused my blinkers to operate incorrectly.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L