Skip to main content
Topic: VLED-s in my digital cluster (Read 4397 times) previous topic - next topic

VLED-s in my digital cluster

Reply #15
I think any led you use on a turn circuit needs a resistor installed. the only reason i did the inner lights before the outer ones is they dont blink,well.... im pretty sure they dont. i has been a couple years since ive seen its reflection off someones tailgate haha
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #16
Correct the inner lamps do not blink, what is weird about my car the rear lamps and the inner fronts are 3156/3157 style...........  but my outer/ corner lights  are 1157/2157 style .

and one more thing . I used the forward shining LEDs in my warning and indicator lamps and they are fine,, the side facing ones were necessary for the LCD part of the dash.  I have no clue how a standard cluster back lighting is configured
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #17
Quote from: hypostang;340564
Correct the inner lamps do not blink
Mine do:D

A handy little modification I did myself. Inners are runners with ignition on and blink with turn signals:cool:

A little video about a Light Modded cougar

The wierd clicking at the start is me trying to start the car but the battery was to dead. I had to use jumper cables just to get the  lights on.

It blinks about 3 times for each side with all lights on, and about 3 times for each side with just ignition on.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #18
Guys that have done this............ does the cluster still dim correctly?  The same wide range of adjustment?
Mike

Reply #19
LED's will not dim unless specified. And I've only noticed "dimmible" led bulbs for home use at lowes lol
1988 T-Bird LX- Awaiting HO build, Monster "Eat My Shift" AOD rated 550Hp. BBK ceramic shorties, Jegs mustang (catless) H-Pipe. mustang catback modified axle back for tbird, 94 17" Cobra wheels, 98 'Stang GT 8.8 Traction-lock

Reply #20
Right

Quote from: sarjxxx;340470
As far as putting them in your cluster, you have to be aware that LED's are not dimmable. They're either on, or off. So make sure you get some medium brightness ones so that you don't blind yourself at night. I'd say get some 2 3 stars, and 2 4 stars to see if one is too bright, and go from there for the rest.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #21
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;340645
LED's will not dim unless specified. And I've only noticed "dimmible" led bulbs for home use at lowes lol

I copied this off their site, from the FAQ  Im wondering if anyone has tried dimming with these specific LEDs

Will LEDs work with the dimmer?Back to top
Yes LEDs will dim just like a standard bulb.
Mike

Reply #22
Most can dim but below a certain voltage they'll just turn off completely. I never use my dash lights at anything less than full brightness (which isn't much) so the LEDs I've tried out in the past that dimmed still got quite dark before they shut off. I haven't tested any in some time though so hopefully the newer designs actually work better than the  I used to purchase. I must still have like $100 in different LEDs in some box somewhere, all of which were too dim for use. Some came close dead on but they still sucked at filling the panels with light.

The blue LEDs, which were "rated" for the same output, did better than the green and white LEDs that I tried behind the green diffusers. The one red I had of course did nothing at all but I didn't expect it to.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #23
Yeah I've got a few bucks worth of useless red ones sitting around too.

I can't wait to see how these work out for blain to see if they're really worth buying.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #24
My order never processed due to server error, so when I get home tonight I will reorder some colored ones.

Even if they are too dim, its turn signals and bright indicators, nothing that will be on 99% of the time lol

Reply #25
I am going to check my clearances also, the flat "flank" type is no longer preorder and is now available, brighter and shorter than the ones i originally ordered

Reply #26
I don't think the flat ones are good for your application though. They need to be able to shine up also. I think the ones you ordered are going to be the best application for you. (as long as they fit...)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #27
The six bulbs along the top of the cluster shine (or refract) through the lens down-ward. The flank type have a 180 degree high output which would cover all but the top inch of the cluster, where I dont recall any lights being, right?

Reply #28
http://www.v-leds.com/Interior-LED/DomeMap-LED/White-LED/V-LEDS-HID-5K-WHITE-4-p8825900-1-2.html

"Our M-SMT bulbs use the latest in High Power LED technology. This bulb has a full 180 degrees of light side to side"

Reply #29
Quote from: blain_gatterdam;341064
The six bulbs along the top of the cluster shine (or refract) through the lens down-ward. The flank type have a 180 degree high output which would cover all but the top inch of the cluster, where I dont recall any lights being, right?

Not exactly ,,, they actually shine about 340* there is a small spot at the very top that has do diffuser

I tried to take these pics but my camera is only 3.1 mega pixel 
 You can kinda see what i mean though
Fox-less at the moment