Skip to main content
Topic: wow, just wow.. (Read 4571 times) previous topic - next topic

wow, just wow..

i'm not much of a news person, but the title i clicked on really caught my eye.. is high school really getting this bad? i graduated just over 5 years ago and it wasn't even close to this serious..

The family watched, she said, as the girls who had tormented Sladjana for months walked up to the casket - and laughed.

http://www.aolnews.com/nation/article/ohios-mentor-high-school-under-scrutiny-after-spate-of-suicides/19667585?ncid=webmail

wow, just wow..

Reply #1
It's very hard to be different in a school where you don't fit in. Been there, done that. not ever going back. So to answer your question..... No, nothing has really changed in the last 30 years that I know about.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

wow, just wow..

Reply #2
There have always been bullies, there always will be....human nature......sadly. They can't be ignored, and they shouldn't be feared. Fear is how they maintain their sense of false strength. I only had issues with one guy from high school. He was somewhat of a bully I suppose. He was a grade ahead of me. After I graduated,I had forgotten all about him and moved away when I joined the Air Force. When I came back on leave a couple of years later to see my parents, I stopped at the Sonic to get a drink and he approached me like we were still in school. I beat his A$$ in the parking lot.Now when I see him down town, he won't even look me in the eye. I personally think some things in school these days are different, but, I also think people as a whole are a LOT more sensitive than they used to be, and don't handle any kind of stress very well. Since all of the cell phones, texting, and all of that,I think it has really put a limit on people's social skills (not for EVERYONE,but most). Not to justify any bullying, I won't tolerate it, and neither do my two youngest sons (14 and 21). I do believe that those kind of people need to be put in their place quickly (young or adult).I've heard of suicides from being bullied,sad stuff. I don't remember ever hearing of that when I was in school. After the military,and being a city patrolman for a couple of years, I think my tolerance of stupid people is very low. Also, parents need to watch their kids. Look for signs of depression, or other signs that something may be wrong and then tend to it. Most people ignore too much with their kids until it's too late. You have to be involved, whether the child wants you to or not. They are the child,and that's the parent's job, to take care of them, teach them, and guide them....whether they like it or not. As a parent, my dad told me when my first child was born , "Son,remember,no matter how much you love them, you're not their friend,you are their parent. There is a line drawn between the two." Thus, the whole "this is gonna hurt me more than you" meaning. I am very close with my kids, but I do have to be the parent,and at times, make decisions my kids HATE. But, I have to do what's right, not always what's popular.

Sorry for all of that.I got on a roll.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

wow, just wow..

Reply #3
I would say it's been around since the beginning of time.  However, back in the day, when only one parent worked, or all the kids grew up on a family farm, there were elders/parents around to continually discipline their kids.  Nowadays, both parents have to work to get by, and the kids suffer.  So in that regard, more bullying and disrespect seem to becoming more evident and widespread.  Plus the media is global now, so everything that happened way back when, was kept within the community, now everyone gets to hear all about it.
1987 TC

wow, just wow..

Reply #4
People get bullied, and there always is a breaking point. It's up to the individual what that breaking point will be, internal or external; kicking the bully's ass, or killing yourself.

I do think that story is messed up how those girls laughed at their victim in the casket. THAT is something that is a new low. Bullying has always been around, but this lack of affection for fellow being is growing. Even in my day, when a bully shoved somebody and they fell and hit their head, they'd ask if he's alright before laughing, heh.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

wow, just wow..

Reply #5
I'd be willing to say that it's a lack of ass-beating.

I got my butt whipped a lot when I was younger for getting out of line, I learned what was right and what wasn't. Laughing at someone in a casket for any reason is completely unacceptable.

There IS a god difference between a spanking and child abuse.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

wow, just wow..

Reply #6
There IS a god difference between a spanking and child abuse

I agree, but not everyone sees it that way. I also got my ass whipped a lot when I was younger, as did my older sister. My dad got soft on my 2 younger brothers, and was a lot easier on them. Well, my older sis is going on her 6th year in College and I am raising a family, going to work/vocational school, both of us doing pretty good. Guess what the 2 bro's are doing? Sitting in a cell....... Anybody see a pattern?
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

wow, just wow..

Reply #7
There IS a god difference between a spanking and child abuse

Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;338870
I agree, but not everyone sees it that way. I also got my ass whipped a lot when I was younger, as did my older sister. My dad got soft on my 2 younger brothers, and was a lot easier on them. Well, my older sis is going on her 6th year in College and I am raising a family, going to work/vocational school, both of us doing pretty good. Guess what the 2 bro's are doing? Sitting in a cell....... Anybody see a pattern?

i got my ass beat many times when i was a kid.. had many wooden spoons broken over my ass.. then my mom bought the hard plastic 1's, they don't break lmao.. if i'm ever 'blessed' with kids, they'll get raised the same way i did, a little hand-to-ass is a good thing (unless you're the receiver) lol

but maybe i'm just lucky, my school wasn't nearly that bad

wow, just wow..

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;338867
I'd be willing to say that it's a lack of ass-beating.

I got my butt whipped a lot when I was younger for getting out of line, I learned what was right and what wasn't. Laughing at someone in a casket for any reason is completely unacceptable.

There IS a god difference between a spanking and child abuse.
There's the problem right there. Kids today are assholes because they know they can get away with being assholes. There are no consequences for bad behaviour. Just like those in power seem to worry more about the rights of criminals than they do the rights of the public, so to do they care more about the asshole kids than the victims of those kids. I'd never advocate child abuse, but I see nothing whatsoever wrong with straightening an unruly kid out with a good smack across the arse. If the kid knows poor behaviour is rewarded with pain he would think twice about behaving badly. So-called "time outs" are an absolute joke.

How many of us older folk (IE born before the 1990s, or in my case, the early 1970's) see children acting out and think "Man, when I was a kid I'd get my ass tanned if I acted like that"? Those thoughts are proof that or parents being firm with us worked...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

wow, just wow..

Reply #9
wow, your old...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

wow, just wow..

Reply #10
Kids today are assholes because they know they can get away with being assholes.

This is especially true in the states that do not allow spankings. The kids that know that the parents aren't allowed by law to spank their children, use that against them.

"If you spank me I'm gonna call a social worker and get you in trouble!

I have seen that happen many times. Luckily here in Tennessee( or in my county, at least)  you are allowed to spank your child on the ass, as long as no marks are left.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

wow, just wow..

Reply #11
If I ever threatened to call someone on my Mom she would have told me to call an ambulance cuz I was going to need one when she was done with me .

I totally agree that corporal punishment is effective and sometimes necessary.
Fox-less at the moment

wow, just wow..

Reply #12
Quote from: hypostang;338888
If I ever threatened to call someone on my Mom she would have told me to call an ambulance cuz I was going to need one when she was done with me .

:rollin::rollin::rollin:
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

wow, just wow..

Reply #13
Quote from: 20thanniver-ls;338887
Luckily here in Tennessee( or in my county, at least)  you are allowed to spank your child on the ass, as long as no marks are left.

I heard a funny story, first hand, from a guy that used to be a deputy in Benton County, TN.

The department kept getting a call from this mom whose kid was always being a trouble maker. So, the deputy went over because the kid wouldn't go to school. The kid says something smart to the effect of, "I don't have to do what my mom says and she can't lay a hand on me."

Well, the deputy talks to the kid, then tells the mom she's within every letter of the law to spank the snot nosed kid. So, he says, "I'm going to make sure your mom spanks you right."

The mom throws the boy over her laps and starts spanking him. The deputy eggs it on, "you know you can spank him harder, right?"

Soon enough, the kid's crying bloody murder.

When it's all said and done, the deputy tells the kid, "the next time we get called over here, I am the one that's going to be doing the spanking."

Needless to say, the kid straightened up and started flying right :rollin:
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

wow, just wow..

Reply #14
Quote from: daminc;338886
wow, your old...

Smartass :shakeass:

Quote from: hypostang;338888

I don't have any kids, but I've always said that if I did I'd be the one you see on the evening news and all over youtube with security camera footage of me stuffing my misbehaved little brat into the back seat of the car, in the Wal-Mart parking lot, then the ol' smackin' arm would start flying back & forth.

Which brings up another point: When we were kids, when our parents said "you just wait 'til we get home" or "you just wait 'til I get you in the car", or the much dreaded "Wait 'til your father gets home", it actually put the fear of God into us, and we got plenty repentant for acting up...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣