Skip to main content
Topic: fog lights wont work (Read 3585 times) previous topic - next topic

fog lights wont work

last night I finished the engine swap in my 88 TC and also change the fog lights, the right side worked and the left side didnt so I looked further into why it wasnt working.  well what I found was the ground terminal was rusty so I changed the end and the lights started to flicker and then they both starrted to flicker and inside the car there was a clicking sound then they stopped working. I checked all of the fuses and didnt find any bad ones.  anyone have any ideas?  thanks Graham

Re: fog lights wont work

Reply #1
possible that the headlight switch or the foglight switch took a dump
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
Um, i know kind of off topic, but did you swap in a 5.0?

Reply #4
id like to see it!  :D
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665379

1983 TurboCoupe-T3 .60/.63, 3" exhaust, Motorsport front mount, PJ, large VAM, green tops, 8.8" w/ 3.55's, 13.72@97mph
1985.5 SVO
1984 Fullsize Bronco- 300, NP435

Reply #5
If i remeber there is a relay for the fog lights. With  All the clicking sound that you said you heard I'd say that is you problem. Eveytime I 've had a relay make that kind of sound it went out then or soon after.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #6
that's also what I have been thinking, wich relay is it? and can I swap them around to see if that is the problem? thanks

Reply #7
theres no relay, power goes directly through the switches
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
yes there is a relay look at the pic of the wireing diagram
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
Not on 1987-88 Turbo Coupes...they're routed directly through the switch. Same thing with 1987-93 Mustang GT's. Both are notorious for frying switches and intermittent fog light problems. For the TC there is an excellent article here on how to solve the problem:

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/installing_headlight_relays.htm

Reply #10
yeap
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #11
so my problem is the switch huh..  no relay at all in my 88?  I would really like to get them working again.  Graham

Reply #13
follow-up:  tested the foglight wiring that goes to the switch with a test light and I got no voltage with the headlight switch in the on position with the low beams on.  any other ideas?

Reply #14
you try replacing the headlight switch?
It's Gumby's fault.