Skip to main content
Topic: If you have an animated gif in your sig, please remove it. (Read 2361 times) previous topic - next topic

If you have an animated gif in your sig, please remove it.

That is all...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #1
any particular reason why? just curious.. does it make the pages with gif images lag or something? i know that happens on some forums

Reply #2
Quote from: turbo_88_xr7;336606
any particular reason why? Just curious..

x2...
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #3
Bandwidth and page load up speed.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #4
Quote from: turbo_88_XR7;336606
any particular reason why? just curious.. does it make the pages with gif images lag or something? i know that happens on some forums

I'm guessing yes. There are still a lot of members and guests using dial up, and that's painful enough. I wonder how much the smilies window uses. I know I usually just use the More button. Maybe only have the essential, non-animated ones in the window?

Reply #5
If there was a way for sigs to only show on a poster's first post in a thread, it wouldn't be too bad.  I've seen it that way on a couple forums.

Reply #6
dial up modem here, via blutooth connection to my cell phone's data service.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

Reply #7
Quote from: V8Demon;337136
Bandwidth and page load up speed.

I've got an upper level DSL plan, and places like the corral slow my speed down dramatically...nothing here has any noticeable effect on my system though.

The first post having a sig only is a good idea, hopefully that's an option. :bowdown:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #8
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;337161
I've got an upper level DSL plan, and places like the corral slow my speed down dramatically...nothing here has any noticeable effect on my system though.

The first post having a sig only is a good idea, hopefully that's an option. :bowdown:

Your PC will only download the image/content once though and cache it from there - displaying it any more is more processor/memory usage and that's it. Bandwidth usage would not improve, other than a few bytes for the tags that attach the cached content in each post.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
Chuck, isn't this the :wrongforum:?

(sorry, not trying to be an asshole) I'm sure you had a reason, just seems like a topic concerning site usage would be better off somewhere else...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #10
Quote from: Seek;337278
Your PC will only download the image/content once though and cache it from there.

Oh, yeah....duh lol
(had a brain fart :hick:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #11
I have had an animated sig for a while now.. Why the problem now?? I have deleted it as to not "break the rules"  but what brought this on??
:ford::oldcougar::mercury:

Reply #12
probably because of mine :rolleyes:

Reply #13
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;337161

Quote from: Seek;337278
Your PC will only download the image/content once though and cache it from there - displaying it any more is more processor/memory usage and that's it. Bandwidth usage would not improve, other than a few bytes for the tags that attach the cached content in each post.

It wasn't a statement in regards to bandwidth, but more so to limit clutter.  Having an animated gif in multiple posts in a thread is very annoying.  ThunderChicken would have disabled them completely had he been able to figure out how.

Some forums don't even allow for pics in sigs, so...

Quote from: sarjxxx;337284
Chuck, isn't this the :wrongforum:?

(sorry, not trying to be an asshole) I'm sure you had a reason, just seems like a topic concerning site usage would be better off somewhere else...

Hey, I'M the asshole around here...:beatyoass:

It's the proper forum for my purposes.

Reply #14
Quote from: Chuck W;337493
It's the proper forum for my purposes.

When Chuck types something, the forum corrects itself so that it's in the right place for his post. :D
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'06 Explorer EB 4.6