Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to tune to ECU for more boost (Read 7369 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to tune to ECU for more boost

I am wanting to turn the boost up on my IHI to 17 psi and was wondering how I can safely turn up the fuel pressure as well. Who makes the best chip for the 87 turbo coupe ecu?

Thanks
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #1
http://www.moates.net

The BURN1+F2A+F2E chip setup is basic, the Quarterhorse is better with real-time adjustability and data-logging.

Good luck!  A whole new world to learn.

But remember, the fuel pressure can be adjusted by getting an aftermarket AFPR.  And the boost can be up'ed with a Boost valve.

Reply #2
or you could go megasquirt for tuning!  No more VAM.  I'm pushing 30psi to mine out of a holset now.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

Reply #3
ok looks like i'm going with megasquirt

i found this website http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/megasquirting_your_ford_with_the_MegaEFI_EEC-IV_adapter.htm and am looking over things

can you tell me exactly what I need for my tbird?

THANKS!
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #4
go to  Turboford, there is a guy that builds them for the TCs.....
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Reply #5
The only prob is... I am at 7,000ft up here. I would have to have it tuned up here with someone willing to do it. I am a novice when it comes to that unfortunately.

Would it be safe for me to turn my boost up to 18 on the stock ecu setting with a walbro 255? (which I have installed)

Just wondering
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #6
Wait what are you guys talking about? He's wanting to run higher boost on his stock TC.  All that takes is a mbc. Maybe an upgraded pump if its weak.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #7
+1 
Quote from: bhazard;336898
Wait what are you guys talking about? He's wanting to run higher boost on his stock TC.  All that takes is a mbc. Maybe an upgraded pump if its weak.
I'll just add that alot of guys get an AFPR and up the fuel pressure just a bit to account for the extra boost.

The Ric Gillis Boost Valve is usually a good way to go. -> http://www.boostvalve.com/

You said you already installed the walbro, so the "HARD" part is already done.

You might want to keep an eye on your air/fuel ratio, but you should be more than ok.

There is a graph/formula around on one of these sites that tells you how much fuel pressure you are suppose to have, for the amount of boost you are running. If I find it again I'll post it here.

This right here should be really helpful for you right now. -> http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Mods/Mods01.htm It basically stats the some of the very first and basic mods that most people do to their T-Birds.
...and there was light!

Reply #8
no need to do anything with fuel pressure, it will or should increase with the boost....

1 psi of boost = 1 psi of fuel

Reply #9
I already have a gillis valve lol. The only reason I am afraid to turn the boost up is because they were afraid to at the dyno shop... (for some reason???)

OK.. in that case, I will turn the boost up and get an AFR gauge tomorrow :burnout:
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #10
Narrowband afr gauges are a waste of money. Don't bother.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust

Reply #11
Quote from: bhazard;337023
Narrowband afr gauges are a waste of money. Don't bother.

Meh, it's just a precaution. Only 30 bucks. I got a bigger O2 sensor because I think the other one was bad. (Might explain the weird readings on the dyno???) Anyway, I am putting on the new O2 sensor and AFR tomorrow. Any suggestions for widebands?

Running 15 psi right now (cautiously) and will up to 18 tomorrow.

I dyno'd at 140 RWHP at 10psi (at 7000ft mind you 25% HP loss up here)

Upgrades since then...

-New motorcraft plugs, wires, cap and rotor gapped at .32
-Magnaflow straight-through exhaust (had S turn  on it)
-MSD Streetfire Coil
-Homemade Cold Air Intake (a tutorial will follow on how I made that)
-Seafoam, New Fuel Filter, Oil Change
-New O2 Sensor

I will pull another dyno run at 18 psi and tell everyone how it went. Hopefully I can break 210 RWHP.

Next stage will include

-Meth Injection (Snow Performance)
-9LB Flywheel
-Stage 2+ Clutch
-Wideband

Aiming for 300 RWHP
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #12
Quote from: Carl;337118
Any suggestions for widebands?

AEM, Auto Meter, Innovate or FAST are really the only 1's i recommend to my customers.. there are cheap imitations out there that aren't worth their weight in s

Reply #13
Ive heard nothing but good things about these guys

http://14point7.com/

Reply #14
Quote from: bhazard;337158
Ive heard nothing but good things about these guys

http://14point7.com/

never heard of them, but their stuff looks pretty good. i like the fact that it's a clear, digital reading