Skip to main content
Topic: Trying to tune to ECU for more boost (Read 7370 times) previous topic - next topic

Trying to tune to ECU for more boost

Reply #15
Thanks for the suggestions!

btw I installed the narrowband afr gauge at 15psi it's sitting right in between ideal and rich which is great! I was afraid I was running lean.

18 PSI tomorrow. Ordering Snow performance stage II Meth Injection tomorrow also. (from summit racing)

Dyno run to follow in the near future.

I was able to beat a hemi charger today at 15 psi. From both a pull and a dig. That was highly unexpected, but I am pretty happy about it.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)
1984 Cougar (RIP) :cougarsmily:
1986 Cougar XR7 5 Speed.  (sold)

Reply #16
Why would yo run lean on stock boost?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #17
Quote from: bhazard;337291
Why would yo run lean on stock boost?

the shop said I was when I was on the dyno...

the only thing I can guess is that the bad O2 sensor was throwing out bogus numbers.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
5 Speed, Stock IHI, Aeromotive 340LPH, Stinger 3in DP w/Magnaflow 3in Race Series ler, Hallman Boost Controller, Corbeau Fixed Back Racing Seats, Rebuilt 35# Injectors, Kirban AFPR, Stinger's Front Mount Piping w/Big NPR Front Mount IC, 3/8 E-85 Fuel Lines, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Explorer 4.0 Dual Core Radiator, Optima Red Top Battery
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #18
I call BS. There's absolutely no reason for you to run lean on stock boost... they just want You to pay them to work on it. Ford tuned these things to run way rich. The only way to run lean really is if your pump is dying, and then it would be pretty obvious.

The o2 isn't even used under boost, so I would say that's not it..
 Chances are your car is fine.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #19
Quote from: Carl;337581
the shop said I was when I was on the dyno...

the only thing I can guess is that the bad O2 sensor was throwing out bogus numbers.

The o2 sensor has ZERO function at WOT, if you were running lean, probably have a F/P regulator problem or other fuel system issue...

Reply #20
thanks for the advice! my air fuel ratio seems good at WOT so I dunno what they were talking about.
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #21
A little update

I made 184 RWHP and 247 RWTQ on the dyno at 16psi

Turned the boost down a bit just to be safe.

For comparison a bone stock STI made 216 AWHP and 230 AWTQ right after me

You might think WHAT?! an STI reading that low?!

two reasons

at near 7000 feet altitude you take 15% or more HP loss on a boosted car 25% for N/A

also, their dyno reads low

both of those numbers are uncorrected, so I am not really sure what my actual horsepower / torque is. I would be especially happy to know what it is at sea level and at 18psi haha.

Now, on to my question.

I just purchased a wideband from innovative motorsports.  I want to upgrade / get rid of the VAM and was wondering what my alternatives are?

What air meters do you performance gurus use?
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)

Reply #22
A little update

I made 184 RWHP and 247 RWTQ on the dyno at 16psi

Turned the boost down a bit just to be safe.

For comparison a bone stock STI made 216 AWHP and 230 AWTQ right after me

You might think WHAT?! an STI reading that low?!

two reasons

at near 7000 feet altitude you take 15% or more HP loss on a boosted car 25% for N/A

also, their dyno reads low

both of those numbers are uncorrected, so I am not really sure what my actual horsepower / torque is. I would be especially happy to know what it is at sea level and at 18psi haha.

Now, on to my question.

I just purchased a wideband from innovative motorsports.  I want to upgrade / get rid of the VAM and was wondering what my alternatives are?

What air meters do you performance gurus use?
2013 Focus (Daily)
1968 Cougar XR7
1987 Turbo Coupe
1988 Turbo Coupe (RIP)