Skip to main content
Topic: HO conversion clarification questions (Read 2665 times) previous topic - next topic

HO conversion clarification questions

Reply #15
Quote from: vinnietbird;333329
What you have was stock on the SO engines.The H.O engines had a double roller.That's all I will use. Costs a few extra dollars,but worth it.

I just checked Oreilly's site it will be like 8 bucks more for the double roller ...I will be doing an exchange ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #16
Now...wasn't that easy ?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #17
LOL.. quick and painless , just how I like it
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #18
Are the SO 5.0's roller cams?  If not, then the HO cam won't work too well in your engine.  I just haven't messed much with the SO's.

If interested, I have two sets of E7's.  One is in the process of being ported.  The other pair are stock.  I'll sell them really cheap!

Good luck!

Reply #19
86 and up SO are roller cammed so I'm good there :D
 and thanks for the offer on the heads but I'm not switching  on this engine , not to mention shipping would be brutal
Fox-less at the moment

Im Sorry did I miss something

Reply #20
Don't you need a Computer for the swap from non HO to HO.

I have an 88 XR7 Cougar and I am planning to do the swap, I already had new pistons (dished) installed in my motor during the prior rebuild.

I am purchasing an entire Mark VII "89" with H.O. Engine and from what I have been reading I can pull the Cam, heads, intake, and Computer from this Mark VII and put them into my 88 Cougar NON HO engine, change the firing order, Install Headers, and drive away.

Is this true? And if so what headers do I use, do the HO Heads have different Exhaust Ports than the Non HO Heads, or can I just throw in the headers that are recommended for my 88 Cougar?

Any help would be appreciated

Reply #21
All of that is correct.Plug and play.Yes,you also need the Speed Density H.O computer.It too is plug and play. You can use the H.O factory Mustang/Mark VII headers,but,you'll have to alter the rest of the exhaust to duals (well,you need to anyway),and the stock pipes will not bolt right up to the headers,also,the O2 sensors don't screw into the headers like they do in the stock Cougar exhaust manifolds.Get the Mark VII H-pipe as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #22
Might be better off swapping the motor, and keeping your rebuilt one for down the road if you plan more mods/power.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #23
Rocketman, you've got it pretty well taken care of, but as Vinnie mentioned, grab an H pipe from either the Mark 7, or from any '87-'93 V8 stang. If your standard 5.0 was rebuilt recently, may as well swap the HO parts onto it, unless you KNOW the jy block is fit for reuse.

The stock stang/mark 7 headers will work just fine for you...I have those on mine now, but am upgrading to some equal length shorties soon.

Got pics of your car? ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #24
Well I'm late getting here , looks like they all answered your questions.

Remember that you need an HO fuel pump too.

If you have a complete Mark VII you should have everything you need
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #25
Quote from: hypostang;333934
Remember that you need an HO fuel pump too.

Absolutely, good lookin' out Wolverine..I mean hypostang :D:rollin:

I had the stock SO5.0 in mine, then it failed, so I swapped in a Walbro 255 pounder from a nice guy on The Corral, and it runs stronger and better, idles better and doesn't seem to have a "falling off" at higher RPM.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #26
Yes,a new fuel pump is in order,but,your stocker will work until you can get a replacement.

Reply #27
Daryl, I have a set of E7's lying around.  Let me see what kinda rates I can get on shipping.  I can usually get good prices through work.  If the cost is decent let me know if ya want em.  I dont want anything for em, just want em outta my way.

Justin
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

Reply #28
Well, I "MIGHT"have an HO conversion engine :hick:

I started on it last night , worked from about 9 till midnight , then again tonight from around 8 to 10  Got it all back together .
I put my battery in and it was stone dead :mad:

Its on the charger right now
 It did crank over about three times real slow and farted through the intake, and then the exhaust .
 wen the battery gets some juice I'll go spin it over with my remote stater and a hand on the dizzy

.. Oh btw more good news I took pics during the whole process and none of them saved to my SD card:punchballs:
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #29
An early pre-start congrats to you.You'll love it. I have always loved the H.O in a T-Bird,and watching the Stang guys get really confused when you lay down a couple of real pretty black stripes.Stangs are the car of choice around here.