Skip to main content
Topic: HO conversion clarification questions (Read 2627 times) previous topic - next topic

HO conversion clarification questions

OK, I have already upgraded my fuel pump and exhaust system and upper intake .
 I have a set  19LB injectors , a speed density HO ECM , a factory HO cam and a new timing chain .
I also have a timing gasket set  and intake manifold gasket set .

I have 3 questions
  1. Do I "NEED" anything else?
 (I know E7 heads are in the list but I'm not swapping heads, if I were going to go through that much effort I would just swap the entire engine )

2. Has anyone done the conversion and kept the E6 heads?

3. If yes to number 2 did you have decent results ?

Back in 86 I had a brand new Mustang 5.0 LX coupe  and I seem to remember it having  enough pep to keep me happy for a while .
I'm assuming  what I am doing now will give me similar grins :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #1
The E-6 heads are by no means "great", but, I did the conversion as you are years ago and even with those heads (which I later swapped to porter E-7's) the car was a blast to drive and you could feel the power difference in the seat of the pants. Compared to the SO 5.0, it will make you happy, and you'll enjoy it until you make more mods.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Oh, as far as parts, you have what you need ( You need all of your gaskets, etc). It is a good time to swap on new water pump as well.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Thanks Vinnie . I thought I had everything ,just wanted to make sure

Good idea on the water pump :D

It will be happening in  the next week .
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #4
Pics and updates.

Reply #5
the HO I put in my 79 cougar is awesome, makes the car move like never before.  I can only imagine what it would feel like in the lighter fox thunderbird.

Reply #6
What about exhaust? ;)
'Course, with E6 heads, exhaust really won't matter as much.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #7
I already swapped to factory  mustang shortys and a cat-less H pipe
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #8
Heck, at this point, should you DO decide to swap heads, I wouldn't even piddle with E7's....GT40's or some such...:rollin:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
I always keep my eyes open ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #10
All this engine talk is making me drool! I don't by any means need a street racer but I want my car to eventually be a good running street cruiser...

Reply #11
Ok another question

I opened the box for my timing set and it is not a  double roller chain .
 It is just a standard run of the mill timing set ,
Do i need to go back to the parts store ?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #12
No, but I would. I got a double roller for my s.o.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Quote from: Haystack;333326
No, but I would. I got a double roller for my s.o.

Thanks , I will .  What was stock on the SO?
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
What you have was stock on the SO engines.The H.O engines had a double roller.That's all I will use. Costs a few extra dollars,but worth it.