Skip to main content
Topic: cam timing (Read 2967 times) previous topic - next topic

cam timing

so my car is only going to 4000rpm and stays there. i know it has to be something with the cam timing for it to do that because thats all we have done. does it mean its way to far advanced and needs to be retarded alot?
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

cam timing

Reply #1
did you reset your ingnition time at the dizzy?
with a time light and the spout out?
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

cam timing

Reply #2
well i just accidently moved the timing crank with the timing belt off... the crank is at top dead center. where should the white notch on the timing crank be pointing? lol im having one hell of a time with this...
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

cam timing

Reply #3
Stock mechanical/static timing is 10* btdc.  Align the sprocket marks to the marks on the belt cover, disconnect the spout, start motor, check timing w/ light.
#1 (left): undergoing top-to-bottom rebuild     
#2 (right): DD, power everything (sorta)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cam timing

Reply #4
alright, right now on TDC, the timing crank is pointing to the alt. pulley. i'll be starting my car in about 30 minutes. i have to adjust the cam pullet first

cam timing

Reply #5
should the ignition timing crank notch be pointing at the cam timing at TDC?

cam timing

Reply #6
Quote from: SR71blackbird;332627
well i just accidently moved the timing crank with the timing belt off... the crank is at top dead center. where should the white notch on the timing crank be pointing? lol im having one hell of a time with this...

did you align the mark on the timing chain with the one on the crank gear? im not sure if its a white mark on the cam gear or a dot on the gear, but there is a distinquishable mark on the cam gear that should line up with a mark on the crank gear
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

cam timing

Reply #7
alright i have the white mark on the ignition timing crank pointing at the cam timing mark. so the cam pulley and ignition pulley are pointing at eachother and the crank pullet TDC mark is pointing to the bolt on the ignition timing pulley.

cam timing

Reply #8
let us know how that works for ya
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

cam timing

Reply #9
dude read your other post

what brand of adjustable cam gear do you have?

most adjustable cam gears do not have a mark to line up with

cam timing

Reply #10
ITS RUNNING!!! we are going to put the timing cover on and get the timing right and then take it out for a test drive!! so pumped right now

cam timing

Reply #11
i have the ford motorsport adjustable cam gear.

cam timing

Reply #12
ok cool that is about the only one that has marks on it for the back time cover pointer.

good deal you have it up and running!

cam timing

Reply #13
FIXED IT!! my car is running perfect now where as of yesterday it wouldnt go past 4000rpm and floored it moved slower then a  slug. good day... thanks for the help everyone!

cam timing

Reply #14
now  that you know how to do it,  you can start playing with your cam adv/ret, bump ingtion time, and spark plug gap and boost levels and really get it runnin!