Skip to main content
Topic: aod tranny question (Read 3818 times) previous topic - next topic

aod tranny question

ive been looking through ebay for a few days and ive noticed that all of the aod trannys list from they fit all the way up to 92. Is there a difference between the 92 AODs and the 93s?
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

When all else fails, get a bigger hammer.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #1
At some point they went to AOD-E PCM control trans. Perhaps this was the model year break? I'm sure somebody more knowledgeable will chime in.

aod tranny question

Reply #2
that was 94. cause the aode had the OD button on the shifter. i dont think there is a difference, i just dont wanna spend $$$ on something that wont fit when i cant afford to waste a few hundred really, if they wont fit, i might have enough to get the one i have rebuilt
Remember, if the women dont find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #3
The MN-12 Cougars and T-Birds never got the AOD-E's, they were AOD from '89-93, then they got the fully electronic 4R70W for the final four years of production.
If worms had daggers, birds wouldn't f**k with 'em

aod tranny question

Reply #4
ah, so would a listed 92 aod fit a 93?

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #5
Quote from: merccougar93;331922
ah, so would a listed 92 aod fit a 93?

an AOD from an '82 would fit, and work, in a '93, so the '92 would work.

aod tranny question

Reply #6
i thought so, i just wanted to be 1000% sure.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #7
does the bell housing for a 302 fit the 232?

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #8
yep, should be the same.
84 TC 302 -5.0L/t5/7.5 locking rear and a 3.45 gear, Edelbrock Intake, Aluminum Heads, Edlebrock 65mm Throttlebody, Edlebrock Cam, 24lb injectors & MAS Air Sensor calibrated via chip,  BBK headers, Catback H pipe, Magnaflow lers :evilgrin:
:pics-stfu:

Project Thread with pics

aod tranny question

Reply #9
in that matter, would the whole transmission be the same?

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #10
Quote from: merccougar93;332275
in that matter, would the whole transmission be the same?

'92 232 car using a '93 302 transmission and bell housing? It's just a matter of pulling the transmission from the V-8 and putting it in the V-6. Nothing to change.

aod tranny question

Reply #11
depends on the car. There are different levels of torque converters in the myriad v8 cars. However, this is backwards compatible, afaik there's no reason why you can't use a v8 trans in a v6, I just wouldn't go the other way.

So, pretty much any AOD from a fox car should fit. After that, things get tricky. But, like stated before, 89-93 MN12s should go in, I wouldn't fiddle with any SN95 trannys.

This was for my 88, but I think the information is the same for a 93:
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;324818
Any COLUMN shift AOD from another Bird/Coug 5.0/3.8 is as direct swap as  is the AOD from a Grand Marquis or Crown Vic(through '91)... The floor  shifter trannys use a different shift lever(could be swapped from your  old tranny, have to pull pan and I believe the valve body)... The pickup  and Lincoln MK-VII AODs are approx one inch longer, don't want one of  those... Forget the AODE as well(converters DO NOT interchange), it is  shifted by the EEC, ones from a 4.6 won't bolt up anyway...
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

aod tranny question

Reply #12
Quote from: Scott D;332286
'92 232 car using a '93 302 transmission and bell housing? It's just a matter of pulling the transmission from the V-8 and putting it in the V-6. Nothing to change.

Or, pulling the 302 and transmission and putting it in the v6 car!:rollin:
Might be a little more work though:rollin:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

aod tranny question

Reply #13
yeah, i just wanted to be sure i could do it before i made plans on which way i would go. You know how things go sometimes when you "assume" things will work.

Chris
 93 cat rebuilt 3.8

aod tranny question

Reply #14
Quote from: merccougar93;332306
yeah, i just wanted to be sure i could do it before i made plans on which way i would go. You know how things go sometimes when you "assume" things will work.

Oh do I!:toilet:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L