Skip to main content
Topic: Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS (Read 112526 times) previous topic - next topic

Project Black Panther: 1988 3.8L Cougar LS

Reply #465
Good job !!! I have actually thought of doing that with the Sport. Maybe one day.maybe not. I'm on the fence with that. We had one installed in Gayle's Neon ( years ago), and she loved it, and it never ever gave us an issue at all. It would be cool to have that open air hole on great days. Where did you get yours? How much (you can share that info !!!).

And the exhaust, did you install it or have it done? Turn downs or tips installed. Pics son, but details now.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #466
I should put one in the vert
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #467
Quote from: daminc;383552

:giggle:
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #468
Put one in the hood over the intake.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #469
Quote from: daminc;383552

good luck with that. I know if any one can do it it's you :rollin:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #470
If I install one, I think I'll remove the dome light for a slightly larger sunroof, and install a new mirror with lights on the bottom. Hmmmmm.......................I have some thinking to do.

I'm sure I'll chicken out though............but maybe not.................but probably.....

Reply #471
Quote from: sarjxxx;383557
good luck with that. I know if any one can do it it's you :rollin:

If you have time to type this, you have time to answer some questions and pass along some details.

Reply #472
Quote from: vinnietbird;383550
Good job !!! I have actually thought of doing that with the Sport. Maybe one day.maybe not. I'm on the fence with that. We had one installed in Gayle's Neon ( years ago), and she loved it, and it never ever gave us an issue at all. It would be cool to have that open air hole on great days. Where did you get yours? How much (you can share that info !!!).

And the exhaust, did you install it or have it done? Turn downs or tips installed. Pics son, but details now.

I got mine from 1bad88tbird. He pulled it out of another car and sold it to me. The model though was actually an Inalfa F700. It BAARRRRRREEEEELLLLLLYYYYYY fit in there. I had to measure for like 20 minutes to get it and it still wasn't possible without taking the dome light out and letting it overlap a bit. In fact, if I didn't already know that Jay had taken it out of another car, I don't think I would have attempted it.

As for the exhaust I really didn't do antying except make good use of my new reciprocal saw and dump it at the ler. It sounds sooooooo much better, and I could swear I've got just a liiiiiiiiiiiiitle bit more power :giggle: (although I actually could have... you should have seen the bends in that tailpipe:yuck::beatyoass:)
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #473
Gayle got her roof through, of all places, JC Whitney. She is NOT a car girl, but she looked for one, found it, and bought it all by herself. I was proud. I know, that if I do get one, I'm waiting til subframe connectors installed. I'll feel safer that way. Overkill? Probably.

Reply #474
reciprocal saw? 'round here, we calls dem sawzalls or god in electric power tool form :hick:

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #475
Quote from: vinnietbird;383559
If I install one, I think I'll remove the dome light for a slightly larger sunroof, and install a new mirror with lights on the bottom. Hmmmmm.......................I have some thinking to do.

I'm sure I'll chicken out though............but maybe not.................but probably.....

Yeah the problem is you can't remove to dome light. Well you can remove the dome light but you can't install a larger sunroof. There is a lateral brace that runs the width of the roof right above the dome light. In fact that's what it screws too. That is the reason I couldn't move mine back. I would HIGHLY reccommend not getting one any wider than 16" which is what mine was and as I stated, it BARELY fit. And if you do get one that wide, make sure it's curved along the length. If not, you will hit your sunvisors (and by that I mean the recessed areas in the headliner where the sunvisors rest that you cannot remold to make fit in your roof trim) in the process if you go the full 16". If it's a rectangle you will have to probably go down to < 14". As for the length, unless you get one that is seriously curved I wouldn't get one any longer than 32" either. Mine is 31" and it where the ends are the roof takes a huge dive towards the doors. Any more length and I don't think it would have seated properly. It barely did as it was, and it did have a vertical curve (pitch/peak) to it.
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #476
Quote from: Shadow;383564
reciprocal saw? 'round here, we calls dem sawzalls or god in electric power tool form :hick:

Yeah but you know a sawzall is technically a Milwaukee Tool product. Just like a skilsaw is made by Skilsaw Tool Co. And I am very brand loyal to Hitachi. So much so in fact, that I refuse to call my tools by their common names lol.  And they're only the God of Tools when BATTERY POWERED hahahah they are good for EVERYTHING... the WD-40 of power tools :giggle:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #477
I have a tiger-saw
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #478
WD-40 sucks! pb blast all the way.. and above, you have your words for your measurements crossed.. width would be from door to door, length would be from the front of the car to the back lol

Quote from: daminc;383573
I have a tiger-saw

i believe that's what mine is lol

Reply #479
Good job Steve! it looks great! When I had the one put in my Fusion he moved the dome light to the fron of it in between the sunvisors. I can't rember for sure but I think the Sport your's came out of had the dome light where your's is. I'm glad it turned out for you. I would never do it myself. I'm too afraid to screw something up. Once you cut it there's no going back.