Skip to main content
Topic: Fox body suspension?? (Read 7155 times) previous topic - next topic

Fox body suspension??

I have a 84' T-Bird that I have some questions on the suspension and rear end. I have been told that the Mustang Fox body style cars are the same suspension and rear end and how they bolt up. I am looking to put a tubular K member and control arms, coil over kit etc. I have a 351w that is being built at (515hp) specs and want to be able to put the power to the ground. Does anyone have any info on parts/manufacturers on any "swap" parts for my Tbird????:burnout:

I have,
8.8 w/31 spline locker with moser axles
C4 with Boss Hog 3000 stall convert
.30 over 351w

Fox body suspension??

Reply #1
Everything should bolt up just fine.

I got all my stuff from Team-Z but there are lots of other companies.

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=25361

Sounds like you are going to have a very nice and fast car.  I also have the same torque converter and I'm happy with it.

TED

Fox body suspension??

Reply #2
Mustang control arms (rear) will NOT work...fronts will, however, depending on years.

THIS thread will aid you in finding what fits correctly...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Fox body suspension??

Reply #3
Need the CHE  rear ctr arms.  The control arms on the rear are bout
1/2 to 5/8 in longer on a Cougar/Tbird than the mustangs.

You can run them but it will pull the rear end foreward  could cause tire rubbin issues.

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Fox body suspension??

Reply #4
Quote from: 5.8fastcat;326683
Need the CHE  rear ctr arms.  The control arms on the rear are bout
1/2 to 5/8 in longer on a Cougar/Tbird than the mustangs.

You can run them but it will pull the rear end foreward  could cause tire rubbin issues.

The TBird uppers are even longer...1-1/8"
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Fox body suspension??

Reply #5
the lower control arms are the same on the rear for mustang and thunderbird... ( I just installed a set of mustang lowers in my 85 TC)

Chuck is right, the Tbird upper rear controll arms are longer
1985 TC (yet another one) Fully loaded
has 225k mile  still with the factory head gasket

84  Turbo ranger  Daily driver  ($800.00 Ebay deal)
          volvo FMIC and more getto rigging than the law should allow

Fox body suspension??

Reply #6
Quote from: BogusSVO;327462
the lower control arms are the same on the rear for mustang and thunderbird... ( I just installed a set of mustang lowers in my 85 TC)

The lowers are not the same.  The difference is small, but there is a difference.  Had them side-by-side when we built them @ Kenny Brown's and if there wasn't a difference, CHE wouldn't also have a different part for the Tbirds.

Fox body suspension??

Reply #7
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;326429
Mustang control arms (rear) will NOT work...fronts will, however, depending on years.

THIS thread will aid you in finding what fits correctly...

What, am I talking to myself here or what...:punchballs:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Fox body suspension??

Reply #8
I bought a set of adjustable's from UPR so I should be able to set them correctly, I hope. Thank you for the advice.

Fox body suspension??

Reply #9
Quote from: ied_hunter05;349917
I bought a set of adjustable's from UPR so I should be able to set them correctly, I hope. Thank you for the advice.

I assume you mean lowers?
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Fox body suspension??

Reply #10
Both uppers and lowers. They are the solid bushing style but are adjustable in length.  :birdsmily:

Fox body suspension??

Reply #11
Both uppers and lowers. They are the solid bushing style but are adjustable in length.

Fox body suspension??

Reply #12
http://www.cheperformance.com/cartgenie/prodList.asp?scat=30

these are specifically made for Tbirds and Cougars, no fitment issues.:D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Fox body suspension??

Reply #13
Quote from: ied_hunter05;349953
Both uppers and lowers. They are the solid bushing style but are adjustable in length.  :birdsmily:

Unless you can SAFELY adjust the uppers to over 1" longer than a stock Mustang arm they're not going to work.  I doubt there's that much adjustability in them. 

You asked for information, and chose to ignore it. *shrug*

EDIT: Looking at them, they might have enough adjustment, but I'm not a UPR fan personally.

Fox body suspension??

Reply #14
the solid mount type control arms aren't good for the torque boxes either. They'll need to be reinforced.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.