Skip to main content
Topic: no rear brakes... (Read 4001 times) previous topic - next topic

no rear brakes...

I have a problem with my rear brakes..  replaced the shoes and went on to bleed the brake lines and there was no pressure or fluid, so I move up the line to the main brake line and there was no fluid there either....  any ideas? or has any one else had this problem? possible that the master cylinder is bad or the proportioning block maybe? this is on an 88 turbo coupe  thanks

Re: no rear brakes...

Reply #1
wow,, this one went unlooked at for a couple days.

yes,, id think the same thing you do.  other and a mystery line being broke somewhere which you'd see that leak, its gota be the prop valve or the master.

Im not a tbird expert but if its got abs,, its out of my area of experience.

Reply #2
Does have abs and i think there may be a special procedure for bleeding them,unsure of what it is.
If you check out http://www.nato.com they may have some answers for you.
If you find out please let me know as i have been wondering this my self.

Reply #3
well I have the haynes repair manual at the shop, I'll do some reading in that today and let you know what I come up with.  pulling the engine soon to replace so I will do more checking on the car when I get the engine out this weekend. thanks

Reply #6
i would think that if you disconnect the rear brake feed line that goes to the abs,,, then,,, hit the brake,,, fluid should come out that line.  If it does,,,,its the abs
if it doesnt,,, its the master.

Reply #7
what I have been thinking is.....  does the key have to be on to bleed the system?  since the abs is electronic and it has a hydrolic pump in it.  just my thought  havent tried it yet. let me know what you guys think. thanks Graham

Reply #8
Yes the key has to be on and you must hold steady pressure on the pedal while someone else bleeds the rear brakes.
Goto the above link at nato that eric posted.

Reply #9
Quote from: gunkel04
We use a Rotunda ABS brake bleeding module, here is some info on it.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/brakebleed.html

where do I get this brake bleeding module? and how much are they? thanks Graham

no rear brakes...

Reply #10
Hey Graham.  What did you have to wind up doing to get fluid to flow out of your rear bleeder screws?  You never came back and told what you had to do to solve that problem.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #11
Vic, I ended up converting to power brakes and threw the ABS unit in the trash. there is a thread in the tech section on NATO that will walk you through the process.  Since doing the swap I havent had any trouble at all, I ended up using the SVO master cylinder and a booster from an 85 bird we parted out but the parts you use are up to you.  the hardest part of the swap was locating the fittings I needed to plumb it all together.  Thanks

no rear brakes...

Reply #12
Th
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

no rear brakes...

Reply #13
I don't blame you for doing the swap Graham.  When you look at how old our cars are, the ABS systems on them are living on borrowed time anyway.  I'm going to run a diagnostic on my 88 TC's ABS system tomorrow to see what's wrong with it.  I'm having the same problem you are.  I can't get any fluid out of the rear bleeder screws WITH the key in the ignition position.  I wouldn't be surprised if the diagnostic says the ABS computer, or acspoogeulator is bad.  Hell, the MC might be bad too.  I'll find out tomorrow. 

On another note, I'm starting to do my homework on good options for a master cylinder and a booster to swap in, so I can throw all that ABS  in the trash.  So far, using a master cylinder and matching booster out of a 95 Mustang GT looks like a good option.  Which ever MC and booster I use, I don't want the pedal to be too hard.  From reading what Darren had to say about using them on his 2 cars, I think I'll like the way the pedal feels.  Since SN95 Stangs and TC's weigh about the same, my car should stop really well too.  I might opt for another combo like an 85 Lincoln Town Car (or Crown Vic) MC and booster though depending on what my research turns up.  Decisions, decisions.
William