Skip to main content
Topic: no rear brakes... (Read 4164 times) previous topic - next topic

no rear brakes...

Reply #15
If I do this swap, I want to be REALLY careful not to use an MC with too big of a piston/bore.  I don't like a hard brake pedal.  It doesn't need to be pillow soft, but I don't want to do a leg press to stop the car either.  I want pedal effort to be comfortable.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #16
I had this problem on my '93 Caddy DeVille, it has ABS also, but the problem was the master cylinder, seals were shot in it.  I swapped in a known good one off my '91 DeVille and problem solved.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

no rear brakes...

Reply #17
It's my master cylinder too.  It's offical now.  The ABS  is coming out of the car.  I bought a 95 Mustang GT master cylinder and a 93 Cobra booster today.  I also ordered a manual PV from Summit.  Replacing those brake parts wasn't in my budget, but you have to do what you have to do.  This car should stop really well by the time I'm done installing these parts.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #18
This is what I use to bleed the brakes on both of my cars and the '93 has ABS:

http://motiveproducts.3dcartstores.com/Ford-Three-pr0ng-Bleeder-0107_p_117.html

In short you pour new fluid in the reservoir on the pressure bleeder, hood the black cap up to the master cylinder, pressure the bleeder up to about 15 psig, and bleed the system starting at the caliper/wheel cylinder farthest away from the master cylinder.  This is really nice when you want to 100% cycle the brake fluid in the system as you only need one person.  It will bleed though the ABS module and I do not turn the key on when I am doing this.  The ABS module I have is from a '95 GT Mustang so it may be different than the system on the TC's.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

no rear brakes...

Reply #19
I need to get one of those pressure bleeders, That looks so much easier
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

no rear brakes...

Reply #20
Quote from: 88 Blackbird 5.0;379584
If I do this swap, I want to be REALLY careful not to use an MC with too big of a piston/bore.  I don't like a hard brake pedal.  It doesn't need to be pillow soft, but I don't want to do a leg press to stop the car either.  I want pedal effort to be comfortable.

I used the SVO MC and my brakes are like trying to do a leg press on a weight machine I will be going with a smaller bore MC in the near future. Even whith pressing the pedal as hard as I can I cannot get the braks to lock with the SVO MC.
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

no rear brakes...

Reply #21
Pedal feel is something I've been researching quite a bit lately.  With the set up I plan to have when I'm done piecing my brake system together, I think I'll be more than happy with not only how the car stops, but also how the pedal feels.  The SN95 MC I installed is designed to give a stock-feeling brake pedal when used with an SN95 booster and calipers.  I just got done installing a 93 Cobra booster, which is identical to an SN95 booster except for having a Foxbody bolt pattern.  If I install SN95 calipers, I'd have a brake pedal that feels the same as a brake pedal in an SN95 Stang.  I plan to go one step further though.  Instead of running SN95 calipers, I now intend to install dual piston PBR calipers designed for a '00 Stang GT.  For the rear of my car, in plan on running '98 Cobra calipers.  By running calipers in the front and back of my car that have more piston surface area than a stock SN95 set-up, that will soften the feel of my brake pedal.  From all the research I've done on this combo, I'm pretty sure I'll love it.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #22
I hate to break your bubble but the calipers on the rear of an SN95 Mustang be it a V6, GT, or Cobra are all the same Varga caliper.  The V6 and GT cars have the same diameter rotor, anti-moan brackets, axle  to caliper bracket adapter, and same caliper bracket.  Now you probably just read that last part and are thinking WTF is the axle  to caliper bracket adapter.  When I did my conversion from the GT rear brakes to the Cobra rear on my '93 Coupe I learned a lot on the Mustang website before attempting the swap.  The Cobra adapter is longer than the V6/GT adapter in order to accommodate the larger diameter Cobra rotor.  Now the calipers themselves are physically identical and the part number cast on the calipers are identical as well.  The bracket that the caliper bolts to is different between the v6/GT cars and the Cobra cars due to the increase in thickness of the Cobra rotor.

If you already have the SN95 rear setup then you can get the Cobra rear caliper brackets at AutoZone and they are about $15 each.  You will need to source a set of the Cobra rear axle  to caliper bracket adapters either online or in this kit from Summitt Racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-2300-M/

Its says GT but the rotors are 11.65" which is Cobra diameter.  This kit has everything but the calipers and caliper brackets.  So from here a trip to the salvage yard to source a set of V6/GT rear calipers and a trip to AutoZone and you are set.

One last word of advice, most parts stores will show that the rear pads for the V6/GT and Cobra are the same...not only wrong but way wrong.  The Cobra pads are thinner to make up for the thicker Cobra rotors so pay attention here.

Darren

no rear brakes...

Reply #23
Wow!  Someone sure did their homwork!  You get my vote for MVP Darren.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.  You know how internet forums are.  A member on Corral who seems to know his stuff on SN95 brake systems said that 98 Cobras had 41mm pistons in their rear calipers and that V6/GT rear calipers had 44mm pistons in them.  I took his words as gosphel and thought the V6/GT rear calipers of that year were actually different and better than the Cobra ones.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #24
All of the SN95 rear calipers are the same Varga units that have 38mm diameter pistons.  The 94-98 Cobra and the 95 Cobra R all had 38mm X 38mm dual piston PBR front calipers.  The change was in the 99-04 Cobras and they upped the fronts to 40mm X 40mm but the rears stayed the same.  The Bullitt's have the same brakes as the 94-98 Cobras with the exception of them being red and the fronts having the running horse instead of "COBRA".  The Mach I's also have the same brakes as the 94-98 Cobra's but they are powder coated gray and do not have any logo.  Hope that clears it up.

Darren

no rear brakes...

Reply #25
That's good info Darren.  It sure does.  I found a website that goes over all that info.  You, or someone else posted a link to it in an older thread.  It's good reading.
William

no rear brakes...

Reply #26
Yeah, that info was plagiarized from a couple of quick searches on the net.  I am just always amazed at how much info you can get on the swap/conversion and now the front calipers are no longer being made.  I grabbed a spare set and put them up just in case.  I know you can still get reman units at the parts stores but itshiznit and miss as to what logo you will get if any and both my cars have the "COBRA" logo on them.  The Mach I's are pretty nice since there is no logo or wording which leads them to our cars pretty well.

Darren

no rear brakes...

Reply #27
This should be a f'kin sticky. Please.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)