Skip to main content
Topic: Kenne Bell supercharger or better heads/cam? (Read 4562 times) previous topic - next topic

Kenne Bell supercharger or better heads/cam?

So my twisted mind has decided that the next project I will save money to waste on is a Kenne Bell blower;): http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang50/mustang50.htm I think it would make the car more, uh, fun :D. The question I have is would I be better off spending the money on a good set of aluminum heads and a nice custom cam instead? I know the heads and cam would end up being slightly cheaper than the Kenne Bell but I just like the blower idea for all that instant torque that will make the car feel like it has a big block:burnout:. So any opinions? None of this will happen till next year as I need to save some money. I like to only buy stuff for the car when I have money so I don't end up in credit card hell.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #1
I say...................do both! LOL

Ive always wanted a Kenne Bell also.....maybe someday.
Mike

Reply #2
well, heads and cam will be cheaper in gas too. but i see you have a daily driver car so i say go with a kenne bell. your car will be faster and when you pop the hood, im sure your going to smile every time lol. you also dont see all too many 5.0s with them, there is a cougar on the site that has one, you should find him (it should be easy, he will probably check this thread out) and see how much he likes his. but i say kenne bell that beast!! BTW PLEASE get some better tires for drag racing when you make your decision this time!!!!!!!!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #3
In my experience the cost of the supercharger was small compared to all the ancillary costs to have done right in an attempt to get some reliability and driveability. 

Of course you can always go the cheap route and and just slap the unit on and go.  But it's likely you'll end up with down time and piecing it all together gradually.  In any case it's likely you'll spend a lot more than you may expect (or it seems lots of guys abandon the project, there's lots of used superchargers for sale...).

Upgrades which are recommended:  the fuel system (pump and rails), ignition system, valve springs (more spring pressure), head gaskets and head studs, fuel injectors, MAF meter, Meth injection & custom tune. 

Then if you are sucessful, upgrades to the transmission, rear end and suspension to be able make use of the power.  At T-5 or AOD won't live long behind an extra 100+ of torque.  28 spline axles & traction lock will give it up if you have traction.

Not my intent to discourage anyone from doing this, just want to provide a little bigger picture as to what may be involved to get it all working well.  It can certainly be done, but go in with a plan that's complete.  It'll minimize disappointment and frustration. 

I do enjoy the power of my supercharged Thunderbird, but prior to doing it I had a pretty simple H/C/I, T5, 3.73 28 spline that ran 13 flats. 

I added about 150 HP and 100 lbs of torque.  Then I added a T56 and 31 spline 3.55 Tru-track before I broke something.  It's tons of fun, but thousands more than I antited...and it took a year to sort it all out!

Can't go wrong doing a H/C/I one year and then save up and do the SC at a later date!

Reply #4
You know I never thought about all the other stuff I'd be breaking with a Kenne Bell:hick:. The trans is probably the only thing right now that wouldn't have to be upgraded as it's rated to 500 hp/500ft/lbs torque. By by head gaskets and rear end. I think I may just save up the money and get a nice head and cam combo from Jay Allen so I can have a nice solid 13 second car:D
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Meth injection

Intercooler would be my choice first.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;323566
I think I may just save up the money and get a nice head and cam combo from Jay Allen so I can have a nice solid 13 second car:D

You'll glad you did!

In my experience these things alway morph, getting things you can "grow into" makes ton's of sense.

Quote:
Meth injection 

Absolutely, I did both...

Reply #7
Quote from: V8Demon;323571

Couple issues with that though...

1) Meth injection - $few hundred, custom intercooler for KB $couple thou
2) no standard intercooler available for KB kit on pushrod motor.

Oh, and I'd settle for the heads/cam - you can still put a KB on it later if you have money to burn. The heads/cam really wake up a KB setup - I have both and it's a wild ride for sure.

Here's me just pulling the drivers side tire at the track:

And yes, I've broken 2 differentials this past year - the weak link after 31 spline axles/tranny etc.
11.96 @ 118 MPH old 306 KB; 428W coming soon.

Reply #8
Assuming you already have the support pieces, all you need for a 13 sec ride is a set of Trick Flow heads and Stage one cam... My fat girl went 13.11 on a 50* evening and would run 13.3s all day at 75-80*...

Reply #9
That's not bad. I'm pretty sure that our cars are about the same weight (~3600lbs with no driver). The trans will hold up fine to more power. I'd need an 8.8 before I got drag radials or slicks though;)

Reply #10
Quote from: Cougar5.0;323615
Couple issues with that though...

1) Meth injection - $few hundred, custom intercooler for KB $couple thou
2) no standard intercooler available for KB kit on pushrod motor.

Oh, and I'd settle for the heads/cam - you can still put a KB on it later if you have money to burn. The heads/cam really wake up a KB setup - I have both and it's a wild ride for sure.

I'd still save up for the intercooler, but that's just me.  It's always there, no refilling

And yes, I've broken 2 differentials this past year - the weak link after 31 spline axles/tranny etc.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-187C145A/
;)

It's amazingly quiet and well mannered on the street.  I run this exact unit in my Mustang.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #11
Quote from: V8Demon;323863

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DTL-187C145A/
;)

It's amazingly quiet and well mannered on the street.  I run this exact unit in my Mustang.

I've never heard that the Detroit Locker is either quiet or well mannered - what's up with that?

Reply #12
I can barely hear the  thing when it ratchets on a turn.  If I have the radio on, it will drown it out with normal adult volume (not 3000 watts a-la 19 years old :hick:).

The occasional thump can be heard now& again, but compared to the older design it's a coochcat.

Reply #13
Quote from: V8Demon;324042
I can barely hear the  thing when it ratchets on a turn.  If I have the radio on, it will drown it out with normal adult volume (not 3000 watts a-la 19 years old :hick:).

The occasional thump can be heard now& again, but compared to the older design it's a coochcat.

Well, 1st I broke the E-Locker, now the Trutrac - if the Trutrac is fully busted (not sure yet, it's acting OK for now, but haven't been to track again), then I may have to invest in a Detroit Locker.

Reply #14
5 months later and I still want a 6psi Kenne Bell;)