Skip to main content
Topic: Kenne Bell supercharger or better heads/cam? (Read 4564 times) previous topic - next topic

Kenne Bell supercharger or better heads/cam?

Reply #15
There goes your "factory" look.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
Quote from: thunderjet302;323566
You know I never thought about all the other stuff I'd be breaking with a Kenne Bell:hick:. The trans is probably the only thing right now that wouldn't have to be upgraded as it's rated to 500 hp/500ft/lbs torque. By by head gaskets and rear end. I think I may just save up the money and get a nice head and cam combo from Jay Allen so I can have a nice solid 13 second car:D

You should be at low 13 now with what you have.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #17
Quote from: Haystack;338666
There goes your "factory" look.

It'd be a Thunderbird SC;)

Quote from: Kitz Kat;338738
You should be at low 13 now with what you have.

Considering a 93 Cobra with basically the same engine ran a 14.4-14.5 in magazine tests and weighed ~500 less I'm not doing that bad, kinda:hick:. I should be able to get a couple of tenths out of the car with some practice. I'm hoping to trim about .2-.3 off the time next year with some practice.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
in all honesty, i would finish start with heads/cam/etc and work your way up to the charger.. not to mention, you need to beef up the drivetrain to handle it.. don't know what you have for a rear, but i would go for a 9" as they're stronger than the 7.5 and 8.8, but that's just me and what i do lol

Reply #19
I also need traction. With the 225/55/16s the car will kick out to the passenger side if I punch it from a stop....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20
mini tub, through floor subframe connectors and a nice set of 8-9" wide drag radials should help you hook lol

Reply #21
Haven't seen very good power out of a KB on a pushrod motor.

I like a KB on a mod motor but not a pushrod

SORRY

But like Mark said needs plenty of supporting mods to be enjoyble

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #22
Vortech now has a 5-6PSI kit that uses an internally lubricated supercharger. I was shying away from Vortech because of the engine oil feed line.

The SC is still a bit of a ways off though. The next items on the list are subframes and torque box reinforcements in the spring after the car's winter nap. Then I need a new rear so I can run slicks;)

The car is driven pretty sedately on the street with no stupid street racing. The car has enough power to get me in trouble right now but I want a little more for the 3 times a year I go to test and tune:burnout:

Reply #23
Quote from: 5.8fastcat;338998
Haven't seen very good power out of a KB on a pushrod motor.

1.7 L displacement and the fact that almost every one you see is on a car with stock heads/cam.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #24
Lou, if you have the same motor as me,  shouldn't you be all set to go with a SC without changing anything? I just ask, because I'm not that knowledgeable with motors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #25
Quote from: daminc;339071
Lou, if you have the same motor as me,  shouldn't you be all set to go with a SC without changing anything? I just ask, because I'm not that knowledgeable with motors.

The engine and trans aren't the problem it's the rear end and chassis. The engine right now makes some where between 260-300 hp (who knows where as it's never been on a dyno) and adding a 5-6 psi supercharger would boost that to 350-400 hp range. The car needs subframes and battle boxes before that kind of power. Also I'm pretty sure that my 7.5 would give up the ghost. The 7.5 is fine right now but has not been tested at the track with slicks. I'm pretty sure slicks+track=broke 7.5:hick:

Right now the engine is strong enough that if I punch it from a stop it will get squirmy and leave two 20-30 feet black lines (I have to do a bit of counter steering;)). Then on the 1-2 shift it will squawk the tires again:burnout: At 45 mph if I punch it the car will actually spin the tires for a second while accelerating....

Reply #26
I get it now. thanks for summing that up for me
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #27
Personally, with a good intake heads cam and exhaust, you could be in block splitting territory. I would love to do a kenne bell, but I would also have to upgrade so much, it wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Save up for a good set of aluminum heads, get a better intake, and go to town.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #28
Go for good heads and cam first, you probably won't even want the SC(They have a great WOW factor though)...

The '88 Bird I had for a short while that had the Windsor Jr heads, ported stock intake, stock HO cam & 3.55s, was a dog compared my Trick Flow headed/cammed TC, and a HO was a dog compared to it...

Reply #29
Do yourself a favor and go back and read what you wrote in post #5.  Jay Allen or Ed Curtis (both are great guys and know what they are doing) can get you a head/cam combo to go with a good intake that will make great power.  You can have them grind you a cam that will make good power NA and will really come on with some boost. I have an Ed Curtis setup and it makes right at 315 rwhp / 325 ft-lbs torque with the 302 in my Coupe.

Several of the guys have hit the nail on the head with comments on what else you have to change with the addition of the blower.  Typically with the fuel system it is things like the injectors, fuel pump or adding a booster pump, and tuning the car.  The stock fuel system other than the injectors and pump usually does not come into play until you are making hp in excess of 500 fwhp and then its just the fuel rails.  I have seen several cars making up towards the 500 rwhp range on stock rails at HPP Racing over in Dallas so its a number I am comfortable throwing out there.

Some blower kits come with a new MAF but I think that depends on the amount of boost...not sure here as I do not own one but you always hear and read about what came with brand X's kit.

I think what it comes down to is building a motor that is set up for boost or nitrous and you will be safe adding it later on down the line.  This is small stuff like gaping the rings, studs on the bottom end and the heads, girdles both on the mains and the rockers, good gaskets, and possibly getting the Fel-Pro Loc Wire head gaskets and having the receiver grove put in the heads.  Lots of choices and lots of figuring out how much power you want to make and what your wallet will let you do.

On to the rear end...a 9 inch.  Oh boy, the age old argument of how strong it is compared all the other rear ends in the world.  Granted the 9 inch is a beast but with that beast comes a price tag.  To install a 9 inch you will either have to buy a housing that is already jigged up to bolt into a Mustang or jig it up yourself.  A properly outfitted 8.8 will handle a bunch of power.  You will most likely not break a properly built 8.8 with a 302W based power plant.  There are quite a few of them behind 351W based power plants making in excess of 700 rwhp and 700 f-lbs of torque that are doing just fine.

Good luck with it as a blower under the hood not only looks good the whine sure gets that attention really quick as well.  I am a bit of a ProCharger fan due to the self lubricating factor and they just seem to make more power but they are pricey.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp