Skip to main content
Topic: Turbo Coupe exhaust (Read 9581 times) previous topic - next topic

Turbo Coupe exhaust

What's everyones setup and opinions on what's best? Mine is stock right now with stupid glasspacks, but tomorrow it's getting full three inch single from the turbo back, no cat no ler (I know it'll be loud haha) just wondering what everyone else has..

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #1
Stinger Performance 3" to dual 2.5" Flowmaster 40's and extended mustang tail pipes http://www.stinger-performance.com

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #2
X2. I did the Stinger 3" to 2 1/2" duals. I had that on my bird except with Magnaflow lers(FLOMASTERS SUCK!), flowmaster tail pipes and 3" x 18" chrome tail pipes. Sounded sweet.
1988 Thunderbird Sport. Work in Progress
5.8L swap w/fitech efi, 4R70W swap w/quick 4 controller, 2003 GT rear diff, 5 Lug swap

Bought this car back as an old project car.

:burnout:

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #3
I had a 3" exhaust (no cat or ler) on my Typhoon and it wasn't loud at all. As long as you put a tailpipe all the way out the back you should be good.

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #4
Well the best performing exhaust is going to be a 3" side exhaust. It gets the exhaust out the fastest with the least amount of bends to restrict flow. I have 2.5" to dual 2" with a high flow 3"inch cat and dual dynomax chambered lers (not sure exactly, i bought the car with it) and it sounds close to a stock 5.0. As you could imagine, thats the worst for flow.....
Let us know how it sounds! maybe a video if you can :poke:
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #5
Quote from: quicksilver;321533
Well the best performing exhaust is going to be a 3" side exhaust. It gets the exhaust out the fastest with the least amount of bends to restrict flow. I have 2.5" to dual 2" with a high flow 3"inch cat and dual dynomax chambered lers (not sure exactly, i bought the car with it) and it sounds close to a stock 5.0. As you could imagine, thats the worst for flow.....
Let us know how it sounds! maybe a video if you can :poke:

I'll post a video tomorrow after its done

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #6
awesome. just dont get too close to the tail pipe or the sound quality will be horrible. cant wait to hear it!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #7
Single mandrel-bent 3", all the way back (with a tail pipe) with a straight-through ler will be MORE than sufficient for most 2.3T applications. (And by most, I mean everyone here)

No need to leave off lers for the assumed power gain and have a tedious-sounding car. 

Put a ler on it...
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #8
I have a full 3" (stinger setup) with a magnaflow and I couldnt imagine anything better.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #9
the best lers to get for best performance(especially if your thinking about a turbo upgrade) are the flow through type lers like the dynomax race bullet. http://www.dynomax.com/lers.php?ler=racebullet
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #10
and it will probably sound better with a ler too... ive heard these cars straight pipes before and its a cross between a tractor and ricer.

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #11
Well i ended up just doing 21/2 inch single instead, tried it with no ler and it was waaaay to loud haha so we threw a glasspack on it to quiet it down. Here's a vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ7-pphuFXQ

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #12
yeah, i wasnt thinking a 3" was going to fit because it didnt on my friends car but i had my fingers crossed for ya. i'll check the video out  when i get home. do you like it? because thats all that matters.

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #13
full 3" on mine; side exit with three sprint car lers.

looks like this:

sounds like this:
gumby - beauty may fade, but stupid is forever!

Turbo Coupe exhaust

Reply #14
Quote from: SR71blackbird;321616
yeah, i wasnt thinking a 3" was going to fit because it didnt on my friends car but i had my fingers crossed for ya. i'll check the video out  when i get home. do you like it? because thats all that matters.

3" will fit, my brother had it on his. We just didn't have enough 3" pipe so that's why we went with the 2 1/2, I like it i thinks it sounds good for a four banger haha (i'm used to my mustang) the turbo whistle out the exhaust is definetly and addicting sound :D