Skip to main content
Topic: Another one bites the dust... (Read 2458 times) previous topic - next topic

Another one bites the dust...

And yet another head gasket down the tubes! I have a very love hate relationship with the 2.3 turbo motor... I love blowing them up and I hate fixing them

I put ARP studs in when I did the last one and apparently it wasn't enough to help. Dropped the head off to have it checked, I'm convinced something is wrong. Anyway, I'd say this explains the 50 lbs of compression in cyl 4 and there are definately issues in 1 and 2 as well:

Reply #1
5.0 swap? I'm just sayin'..........
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
yeah, trust me, I've thought about it a million times. Especially since my 5.0 car is not well. Stuff's out getting fixed, bigger valves, bigger cam (I mean it's already apart, I have to) and if it goes again under such pathetic boost numbers (10 max), I'm yanking it.

Reply #3
Quote from: vinnietbird;321097
5.0 swap? I'm just sayin'..........

Even that won't fix a TC, head gasket blew between 3 & 4 on my 5.0...:hick:

Reply #4
i think i need to nudge the son away from the 2.3,, he's really wanting mostly for the body style alone.
i told him that  5o with the correct air dam would stay cool.

sorry to hear bout the problem, get er runnin again.

Reply #5
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;321112
Even that won't fix a TC, head gasket blew between 3 & 4 on my 5.0...:hick:

LOL

I love the 2.3, just never had much luck with them. First one I had got hit by a truck, second one I blew out the rings and had to junk because I was moving and this one eats head gaskets on me. Fun engine when it cooperates though :burnout:

Reply #6
It sounds like you have blew several of these before. If it is becoming a habit, I would suggest that there is other problems! I have run mine about as hard as possible the pass couple of years and with 17x,xxx miles on it, have never had any issues with head gaskets. Just my opinion though :D.
...and there was light!

Reply #7
If you're blowing head gaskets at 10psi, you've got issues with the tune. Keep beating it without fixing them and the head gasket will be the least of your problems. Be thankful they keep blowing out, and you not the top of your pistons.
Most people unplug the knock sensor. If your's is unplugged, plug it back in until you get the tune figured out. You're having issues with either fuel delivery, or spark timing.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

Reply #8
I think your 2.3 wants to be just like it's big brother the 3.8 V6:mullet:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #9
I'm know it's got issues and I'm pretty sure it's with the fuel. I was actually in the process of finding another computer to try when I blew this one (granted it's been years in between) and have new injectors on order as well.

1 day it'd run great, the next like . I generally didn't beat on it because of its issues. I have a few cars on the road and really only drove this one to run it every once in a while. It blew less then a mile from my house going to get a tool I needed for my other bird of course and I limped it home from there.

Reply #10
or plan b... I'm putting my 5.0 drivetrain in it, gotta love cylinder 1...

Reply #11
#1 Tis a tid bit winky.  I love good "oh shiznit" engine pics. I should start a thread for them.  Hopefully this one makes you feel better.
X
My car is a gravity hybrid.  The gasoline engine gets me up the hills, and gravity gets me down.

Reply #12
ok,, what the hell am I looking at here?  that gap ,, is it just a camara trick or is that a real ,,,dono,,,,,,,,just a gap?  like melted or something?

Reply #13
I have the same question Jcassity, those pistons look a hell of a lot cleaner than my old motor did..
1983 Tbird with '03 Split Port V6 motor swap done! Headers, dual exhaust, 500CFM Edelbrock, 3G upgrade, Electric fan. 3.73 Gears and an FRPP Limited Slip. Five lug complete! 5-Speed conversion complete! Standalone Fuel Injection in progress...

Reply #14
exactly, that gap is for real, melted away piston... oops... I may have stumbled across a job though and if that happened I may just replace the 1 piston without yanking the motor but we'll see