Skip to main content
Topic: tranny swap (Read 3297 times) previous topic - next topic

tranny swap

Reply #15
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;321381

When you talk Top Loader four speeds, a 2.32 1st gear is the close ratio, the wide ratios have a 2.78 1st...

Ah, another era...  Showing our age on that one Tom!

It seems silly in that context to refer to a Z-spec as a close ratio.

Remember the big rear gears needed to get those cars off the line?  A 2.32 first gear and a 4.51 rear is the equivalent to 2.95 first gear and 3.55 rear gear.  Man, they used to scream on the highway with no overdrive.  Their strong point was taking loads of torque! 

In comparison to the T5 4 cylinder first gear of 3.97 and the standard V8 of 3.35, a 2.95 of the Z spec is the nearest thing to a close ratio box in this era, that is, without going to a custom gear set.

Of course my comments don't help the OP address the issue of upgrading his trans.  I'll bow out, I know nothing of 4 cylinder transmissions.

tranny swap

Reply #16
so running the Z-spec with 3:55 gears out back what would the final ratio be then? i do a good amount of free way driving and right now at 70mph my engine is close to 3000rpm. And what if my car makes more then the 330ftlbs of torque when using the Z-spec?
so im going to need a new clutch cable, a different brake booster, adjustable firewall, the bell housing adapter, clutch, flywheel. is there anything else id need?
btw, you guys know alot. thank you for your help.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

tranny swap

Reply #17
Quote from: SR71blackbird;321445
. And what if my car makes more then the 330ftlbs of torque when using the Z-spec?

You're having a Hellva dream... :rollin:

Use the chart to find out what gear ratio you'll have with each tranny, as I stated prior current tranny should have a 3.97 1st gear... Just multiply each gear times 3.55...

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml

You could maybe live with a production 5.0 tranny with a 3.35 1st gear(and those are stronger than the 4 cyl boxes), but again the input pilot will need some machine work... The .68 5th gear would noticeably reduce highway RPMs

Quote from: 86T-bird;321436
Ah, another era...  Showing our age on that one Tom!

LOL

Yeah you ain't lived till you've cruised a big block at 70mph with 4.56 cogs and no overdrive(can you say 8 MPG & 4K RPMs?), even the 3.50 rear in my Fairlane about drove me nuts till I swapped it to a 3.00... It also has the 2.32 1st gear Top Loader, so even with the 428 it's a dog till she gets rolling...

tranny swap

Reply #18
nothing wrong with dreaming:mullet: thank you for the help, ill check that out
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

tranny swap

Reply #19
In the mean while, is there away to get the 2.3 trannys to stop rattling? mine and my friends both do it so we think its the same in all other 2.3 trannys. is that true?
1988 LX coupe. a dressed up motor with full exhaust and BBK shorties with flowmasters, BBK CAI, accufab 65mm tb, HO upper intake, cobra valve covers.

tranny swap

Reply #20
Quote from: Aerocoupe;321322
Is there a pilot bearing which will allow the use of the 5.0L T-5 behind the 2.3L?  I know there is one to put the 2.3L T-5 behind a 5.0L or 5.8L.  Not quite sure why a person would want to do that as I would think the 2.3L T-5 would die a painful death behind a mild 5.0L.  I do not know the ID of the pilot bearing hole in the 2.3L crank versus the ID of the tip of 5.0L T-5 input shaft so that may be the issue all in itself.

Its not really that big of a deal to have the input shaft machined down as the T-5's are super easy to tear down to get the input shaft out.  You can get the manual for them here:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

Darren

There is a pilot bushing, but no bearing.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

tranny swap

Reply #21
how much horsepower can stock TC T-5's handle anyways?