Skip to main content
Topic: tranny swap (Read 3329 times) previous topic - next topic

tranny swap

does anybody have any preference on what year mustang T5 i should swap in? any tips on will help alot. thank you. im swapping in a new clutch (any help with tips on that will be helpful too) and T5 tranny at the same time.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

tranny swap

Reply #2
Not the forum for selling parts, but I have a t5-Z spec box for sale. The unit was in my Thunderbird for 9,000 miles, I purchased it new from D&D.  I swapped it out for a t56 this winter.  It includes the bell housing, shift fork and stock shifter $750.  A Triax shifter is availlable for $125.  I have clutch & brake pedals from a Mustang, it includes an aluminium clutch quadrant ($75). 

Can't tell where you are located, does not include shipping.

Other items you will need are: a clutch, clutch cable and double hump crossmember.

tranny swap

Reply #3
You are looking for a World Class T-5.  Ford started using the WC T-5's in 1985 and there was a change in the WC units around 1990 which resulted in a higher torque rating.  Modern Driveline has a great history on the T-5 here:

http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

Found another good bit of data on the T-5's here:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/349.shtml

I have had a 1992 unit in my Coupe for 8 years and beat on that thing like I stole it for the first 6 years.  Had it rebuilt by a guy in Houston about two years ago and it was still in good shape.  I added a few aftermarket parts and changed some worn parts but overall it held up very nicely.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

tranny swap

Reply #4
Quote from: 86T-bird;320991
Not the forum for selling parts, but I have a t5-Z spec box for sale. The unit was in my Thunderbird for 9,000 miles, I purchased it new from D&D.  I swapped it out for a t56 this winter.  It includes the bell housing, shift fork and stock shifter $750.  A Triax shifter is availlable for $125.  I have clutch & brake pedals from a Mustang, it includes an aluminium clutch quadrant ($75). 

Can't tell where you are located, does not include shipping.

Other items you will need are: a clutch, clutch cable and double hump crossmember.

That sir is a good deal on a Z-spec T-5
41 Dodge Luxury Liner Sedan
78 F-100 2wd flareside
84Turbo Coupe
84 Thunderbird Élan
85 Thunderbird 3.8
88 Turbo Coupe
88 Mustang GT
90 Stang LX 5.0 5spd
93 F-150 4x4 ext cab
96 Mustang GT
98 Mustang GT
99 SVT Cobra
06 Fusion SEL
14 Fusion Sport

tranny swap

Reply #5
what is a Z-spec T-5? will it work with the stinger 2.3 to SBF bellhousing adapter plate?
 thank you all for your help.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

tranny swap

Reply #6
and i have a short throw on my tranny right now, will that work on the Z-spec?

tranny swap

Reply #7
If they will both work on a standard T-5 for a 5.0 car then you are good to go.  The Z-Spec T-5 is basically this:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1879

I have seen some sites rate it as high as 330 ft-lbs of torque.

Darren

tranny swap

Reply #8
you'll need to have the input shaft machined down to fit your 2.3's pilot bearing if you want to use a V8 T5.
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

tranny swap

Reply #9
Is there a pilot bearing which will allow the use of the 5.0L T-5 behind the 2.3L?  I know there is one to put the 2.3L T-5 behind a 5.0L or 5.8L.  Not quite sure why a person would want to do that as I would think the 2.3L T-5 would die a painful death behind a mild 5.0L.  I do not know the ID of the pilot bearing hole in the 2.3L crank versus the ID of the tip of 5.0L T-5 input shaft so that may be the issue all in itself.

Its not really that big of a deal to have the input shaft machined down as the T-5's are super easy to tear down to get the input shaft out.  You can get the manual for them here:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/media/pdfs_autogen/T-5_Service_Manual.pdf

Darren

tranny swap

Reply #10
Quote from: Aerocoupe;321310

I have seen some sites rate it as high as 330 ft-lbs of torque.

Darren

That's the first time I haven't seen it rated at 330 ft-lbs.  They're a sturdy close ratio trans.

tranny swap

Reply #11
I was asleep, with the half motor I defiantly would not use a V8 tranny, a fat ass TC needs all the 1st gear it can get... The later TC T-5('87-'88) have a 3.97 first gear vs the 2.95 of the Z spec... Assuming you have 3.55 cogs out back, using the Z will make 1st feel like you swapped to a 2.73 rear...

Quote from: 86T-bird;321354
That's the first time I haven't seen it rated at 330 ft-lbs.  They're a sturdy close ratio trans.

When you talk Top Loader four speeds, a 2.32 1st gear is the close ratio, the wide ratios have a 2.78 1st...

tranny swap

Reply #12
so would i just be better off building up my stock tranny then? do they make beefer parts for it even?

tranny swap

Reply #13
Quote from: SR71blackbird;321403
so would i just be better off building up my stock tranny then? do they make beefer parts for it even?

Not that I know of, the '87-'88 TC T-5 and the '87-up Stang trannys are World Class boxes and were the most developed 4cyl units built...

BTW the front bearing retainer for the 4cyl trannys isn't available and the 5.0 piece doesn't fit...

tranny swap

Reply #14
Quote from: Aerocoupe;321322
Is there a pilot bearing which will allow the use of the 5.0L T-5 behind the 2.3L?

Negative, ghostrider. Pattern is full.;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6