Skip to main content
Topic: Got it in.....UPDATE today...... (Read 9145 times) previous topic - next topic

Got it in.....UPDATE today......

Reply #60
Quote from: vinnietbird;319861
Jerry,have you ever thought of moving to southern Oklahoma?You'll love the heat.The humidity is killer,but you get used to it.

Not really, but we were thinking about Northern New Mexico... very low humidity for my arthritis. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #61
I'm still happy with my cam....however it was made. I think Comp,Trick Flow,Ford racing....all of them are probably pretty high quality.I wouldn't have a concern with any of them.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #62
Very cool Vinnie.  Just caught up with this thread.  I'm a big believer in the GT40P.

Reply #63
I have heard that there are suposedly billet H.O. cams. I guess the 94-95 gt's got them.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #64
Quote from: xjeffs;319888
Very cool Vinnie.  Just caught up with this thread.  I'm a big believer in the GT40P.

Thanks a lot.I'm still getting the feel of the engine.So far,I'm a fan as well.It's well behaved so far (in the 10 or so miles I've put on it),and idles great.I just need new roller rockers (coming soon I hope).
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #65
Quote from: V8Demon;319862
The stocker wasn't billet either....Ask Jay Allen

Hmm I thought the stock HO cam was billet. My bad:hick:
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #66
Quote from: thunderjet302;319943
Hmm I thought the stock HO cam was billet. My bad:hick:

According to Ford it is ...personally I have no idea
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #67
Ford uses the nomenclature "hardened" IIRC.....

Anyway....... before that FACT gets the :bs: flag, here are side-by-side pictures of a SADI core camshaft that had a little mishap and a 1995 5.0L HO stock camshaft for a visual comparison of the core material.

The ZE engraving shown below, confirms that in fact it is a stock HO camshaft, and it did come out of a 1995 engine....... I was the one that replaced it with a Crane 2040 (the billet version of the E-303).

Now.... here is the information regarding the F4ZE-6250-DA BILLET core HO camshaft........

Due to a change in its material, the 1995 5-liter H.O. Mustang cam was assigned this new F4ZE part number. Otherwise, it is the same grind as the previous (1991-1994) version it replaced.

The F1ZE-6250-AA HO camshaft is the HP part number it replaced :btw: .

Time to formulate the obvious questions for the "SADI is good enough" gang...... :ahprepare:

1. If SADI is good enough...... why did :ford2: go billet core on the last year the 5.0L engine would be used for the Mustang?

2. If it was the last year for the 5.0L HO OHV engine option..... why did :ford2: go through the process and cost to make a different part number camshaft, with the ONLY change being the :qunq: more expensive billet core?

3. Since the camshaft events, lobes profile, lift, etc did not change (as in made more aggressive)..... why did :ford2: determine the need to go billet core with the HO cam?  :whothr:

4. Wonder what core material was used in the Explorer 5.0's ..... based on the price difference of an OEM replacement with a 1993 Mustang for a stock replacement from Ford ($429.95 vs $362.51)  :rubeyes:..... could it be "speculated" that Explorer 5.0L camshafts are also billet core?  :wonder:...... :btw:.... those are actual list prices from Ford.

Interesting, isn't it?
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #68
I was under the impression that the HO cam was machined from a solid hunk (or billet ) of steel not cast iron like regular cams and that's why distributor gears are an issue . Or so I was told back when I worked at the Ford dealership back in the 80's and early 90's

I'm a little sketchy on what the definition of "billet" actually is , according to my brother the machinist, its a term used to describe a solid hunk 'o metal  :hick:

Like I said I have no idea personally , nor is it a big deal as long as the vehicle runs ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #69
Read the above post.....I just added to it as per SBFtech.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #70
Ok , I have never actually seen an HO cam in real life but what I was told was what what I posted .
 If I ever lay my hands on an HO cam I'll compare it to the above post :D
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #71
Well,I drove the Sport about 50 miles today.Everything seemed fine.I still hear a little bit of a sewing machine sound from the valvetrain.Maybe I'm not used to it,or maybe the valve covers (new ones) are embellishing the sound and making it louder.I still haven't pushed it hard yet,I'm working up to it.

Reply #72
Excellent!!, I have noticed the "sewing machine noise" in some 5.0's before but I never asked what caused it :hick:
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #73
Everything appears to be running as it should.I do think the thinner metal valve covers are making the sound more pr0nounced.I may swap covers again.But not right now unless a deal comes along for a pair I want.

Reply #74
haha you need to take that thing over here and have some fun on Test and Tune friday at Ozark International Drag