Skip to main content
Topic: Got it in.....UPDATE today...... (Read 9146 times) previous topic - next topic

Got it in.....UPDATE today......

Reply #45
Quote from: daminc;319747
LOL.... I don't want the car to fart and burp after all that work I did to it.
Here's the connecting rods
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ESP-5090FB/

Are you mad at me Jerry?Did I do something wrong?You're killing me.LOL.

I will hope to see some dyno numbers when it's done.I'll get the Sport dynoed as soon as I can get it done.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #46
one last tease.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-308-8/

I need to build it this way for a reason.
It should have 8.8:1 compression, he said
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #47
Supercharger.......I hope to do that next year. What are the spec differences between that and the Stage 1 trick Flow cam?I think that one you picked out is a little more cam.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #48
It's supposed to be the equal to the stage 1, but summit will make an entire upgrade/rebuild kit for a motor using CCams. I originally was going to use a stage 1, but after putting the kit together with everything I needed, I would save hundreds if I used this brand cam with the kit. the connecting rods would have had to be machined for the forged pistons because of the bolt sizes, so in reality, it only costed about $50 more to put in the I-beam rods as opposed to machining mine to work.. The cam may be a wee bit more aggressive... probably another reason he told me I needed to use mass air. I said he put one in another car and it had to be upgraded to mass air also. He couldn't keep it running more then a couple mins.

And yes, a supercharger is in the future for the car. thats why all the welding/bracing, battle boxes, and extra frame.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #49
As I said above,I'm really curious about the rear wheel HP of that engine in your car.....pre-supercharger.300 maybe? I plan on having SFC's installed eventually.The list for the Sport is still full of things to do,but,I'm getting closer by the month.Oh well,I have forever to get it done I suppose. A/C,seats,and window tint are next.I'll deal with the rest after that.

Reply #50
Quote from: daminc;319752
one last tease.....
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-35-308-8/

I need to build it this way for a reason.
It should have 8.8:1 compression, he said

Quote from: daminc;319757
It's supposed to be the equal to the stage 1, but summit will make an entire upgrade/rebuild kit for a motor using CCams. I originally was going to use a stage 1, but after putting the kit together with everything I needed, I would save hundreds if I used this brand cam with the kit. the connecting rods would have had to be machined for the forged pistons because of the bolt sizes, so in reality, it only costed about $50 more to put in the I-beam rods as opposed to machining mine to work.. The cam may be a wee bit more aggressive... probably another reason he told me I needed to use mass air. I said he put one in another car and it had to be upgraded to mass air also. He couldn't keep it running more then a couple mins.

And yes, a supercharger is in the future for the car. thats why all the welding/bracing, battle boxes, and extra frame.

The Comp 35-308-8 cam you have listed is the same cam I'm running. It will run fine with speed density as I ran it with speed density for over a year. I went to MAF to solve a bit of an hot idle issue I had. It would stall when put into gear when started hot with SD unless you kept your foot in the gas. Plus I had to set the hot idle in park to at least 1000 rpm to keep it running. After the MAF conversion it's been running great with no more idle issues.

Just an FYI. If you are running that cam with the GT40P heads and a GT40 style intake and are going MAF you may want to look at 24lb injectors pre supercharger. With 19s and the stock fuel pressure I was getting pretty close to 100% duty cycle over 4500 rpms.

Oh and there is a reason that the Comp cam alone costs more than the Trickflow/FRPP cams. The cam is made of a much better grade SADI core. Yes most aftermarket roller cams are not billet like the stock HO cam.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #51
My experience has been anything at or over 300 fwhp you should move up to larger injectors.  The 24's I had on my coupe got me right at 306 rwhp but they were on the ragged edge.  A buddy had some 42 lb/hr injectors so we swapped them in and the car finished the day on the dyno at 318 rwhp with no other changes.  Just my .02.

The car has a stock 2001 GT mass air meter and an SCT chip so swapping to the 42 lb/hr units was a matter of pulling the chip and dumping in the tables for the larger injectors.

Here is a site with an injector calculator that will get you in the ball park:

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #52
I do believe this is Vinnie's thread, I'm not sure who the above post is meant for! Vinnie or ic?But 306 rwp, at 24 inj. is not bad. As for ic's secret for his build, it ain't so much a secret anymore!
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +

Reply #53
I wanna go for a drive with other tbirds, I'm tired of not seeing others....

Reply #54
It was just general information as the subject had been brought up.  Thought it would be good information to anyone reading the thread and was not meant as a hijack.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #55
I've got a set of 24's from an LT-1 engine.I still have to find an aftermarket Mass Air meter/sensor for the car.After last week,and the few little things you always have to get during an engine swap,my funds are GONE.Luckily,I'll be back in the swing of things soon.

Reply #56
Hey Kitz,what do you estimate the power output of the new engine to be? I have no idea.I hope to get to a dyno soon.

Reply #57
I was just giving a teaser of what I'm doing....Vinnie already knew what I had going into mine. There are many other things that I'm not telling anyone about, so there's still a secret to be kept....

Vinnie, it would be close between mine and yours, ,so I would also be very interested in what kind of power you have created. I figure I'll just subtract at least 25 off your total HP for lack of building knowledge on my part. lol.... and that's what I'll end up with. lol. My car might not be super fast. But it's  shiny. :rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #58
I have a severe lack of knowledge on engines as well.LOL.I think the 5 speed allows a few more horses to the rear,but,the dyno is the only way to see the numbers other than hitting the track.....which I may do this year.We'll see what happens.I'm looking to get a new set of roller rockers this week,install them,and go from there.Jerry,have you ever thought of moving to southern Oklahoma?You'll love the heat.The humidity is killer,but you get used to it.

Reply #59
Yes most aftermarket roller cams are not billet like the stock HO cam.

The stocker wasn't billet either....Ask Jay Allen
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!