Skip to main content
Topic: "Stupid" stuff you admit to considering for your Bird/Cat/Mark/etc. (LONG post) (Read 14693 times) previous topic - next topic

"Stupid" stuff you admit to considering for your Bird/Cat/Mark/etc. (LONG post)

Reply #45
I've got a T5 on an SO and it works really well. It runs out of wind at about 3500-4000 RPM, but before that it pulls like a freight train. Well, maybe that's not a good comparison, as freight trains aren't particularly quick ;) It works much better than it did with the auto though. It'll pull itself up any grade in 5th gear without losing speed. The 3.55 gears probably help it out a bit too. Still, as good as it works I'll still be doing the HO upgrade this winter...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #46
You want an outlandish idea?

I've contemplated suede paint and old style steel wheels for the Cougar -- Something like these:

Albeit with decent tires ;)

And yes -- Black suede/satin with red pinstripe :burnout:
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #47
Wow, I wish I knew about this a couple years ago.
I know this won't have the same reaction anymore, but here it goes..

I'm going to totally rebuild my Cougar from the ground up.

I think I deserve the grand prize in doing stupid things. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #48
^^^:rollin::rollin::rollin:

Reply #49
Mine is to rip out the back seat, then make a speaker enclosure that sits flush with the rear package tray, coming forward just enough to allow full rearwards travel of the front seats, and follow the angle of the backs of the front seats, then cover the enclosure in matching grey carpet, and load it up with a half dozen or so 12" subs.

The only thing keeping me from this is:
It's the VERY least of priorities, both with the Tbird, and life in general...weight...and practicality of the car. I still just might need a backseat...

Another thing...banana yellow paint, with lime green stripes, Shelby style...:flip:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #50
heres mine,
yanking out the 2.3l from the tc and replacing it with a 5.4l DOHC. and then bolting on twin 80mm turbos (that way its still a turbo coupe.

I also resently looked in to getting a custom set of 17 or 18 inch snowflakes made. but when i was quoated $4000 for a set of four, i desided I'd stick with the rod lites.

Also presently looking in to fiberglass front clip, doors, and trunk lid. Aluminum head, bigger turbo, Mega squirt computer, full cage, tube k-member, with coil overs on all 4 corners. 100hp hit of n2o, and keeping it street legal.

The crazy thing is that in the very near future, I will have the money to do the first or therd option, or a mix of both. Still dont see spending 4k on wheels though.

And lastly, the idea of a buick 455ci under the hood still makes me giggle.

Reply #51
I'll more than likely get flamed for this but I want to take the turbo four auto out of my Cougar and drop in a 300ish Hp SBF along with a T-5 and at some point an 8.8" rear.

After that I want to lower it, add some rims of some sort and paint it lastly I want to reupholster it.

Reply #52
I was thinking bout installing an electric air compressor for tires,air shocks,flotation stuff at the lake,etc.Just something powerful,small.

Also,my hood light has long been discarded by someone other than myself.Well,I was looking under the hood of an F-150,and got that hood light.It mounts up and has a long spring loaded cord so you can check the tires or whatever.Cool part I didn't know existed.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #53
Maroon seat inserts, they should be black.

Rodlites for a daily driver.

4cyl T5 behind 5.0.

Non world class T5 behind anything.

Considered a SROD because it was cheap, I'm sure that would've been a disaster.
Matt
1984 Thunderbird - 89 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake and 600 cfm 4bbl, Mustang headers, Jegs o/r H pipe, Dynomax lers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, 3G alternator, Mustang front and rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 Turbo Coupe shocks and struts, and 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT - GT40 heads, Explorer intake, 70mm throttle body, 70mm MAF, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 deluxe handle, aluminum clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, o/r h pipe, Dynomax lers, 3G alternator, aluminum radiator, and 3.27 gears.

1986 Cougar 5.0, 1989 Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 1980 Mercury Zephyr 4 door (sold)

Reply #54
I've done lots of silly things. One that comes to mind was putting chrome valve covers on a 3.8 I had in a fox marquis.

I figured, what the heck. I needed to do valve cover gaskets, why not order some chinese ebay chrome valve covers?

CoogarXR
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #55
Quote from: vinnietbird;286961
I was looking under the hood of an F-150,and got that hood light.It mounts up and has a long spring loaded cord...

I have one from a late 80's Chevy truck...has the little reel you use to roll it back up...mighty handy ;)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #56
i cant think of anything stupid per se, working AC would be nice though and some black turbines with centercaps, a better CD player and a couple subs and amp in the trunk and a really good wax job

Reply #57
I have had alot of crazy ideas in years past. Luckily, common sense prevailed.

Less than 2 years ago I actually measured to see if twin turbos would fit in the trunk of my 87 TC 460. Then I would run the compressor pipes to the carb under the carpet up to and thru the firewall. It would actually work. :D

Then, I said to myself there is no way I am hacking the trunk floor on my TC.

I bought a Procharger instead for the 460 which might be more insane since it is designed to fit a BB Chevy.....
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #58
Put one of my Mustang AOD transmissions behind my 2.3 in my '86. It doesn't require any electronics, I've already sourced my adapter plate and flexplate...just don't know if there's a crossmember that would work..lol...:hick:

Reply #59
Quote from: 5.0 bird;286992
Maroon seat inserts, they should be black.

Rodlites for a daily driver.

4cyl T5 behind 5.0.

Non world class T5 behind anything.

Considered a SROD because it was cheap, I'm sure that would've been a disaster.

My dad had an SROD behind a carbed 70's van. It ate tranny's like no tommorrow. Alot of the time it would burn out the clutch because the shifters would break off and I had to drive 15 miles in 3rd or 4th.. I belive that to be a 1:1 and 4th being a .83 or something like that. With the 2.73 rear end, it took a bit to get to the point I could release the clutch.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com