Skip to main content
Topic: Let's stiffen this thing up.... (Read 2715 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's stiffen this thing up....

Don't misconstrue the title to this thread, I want to stiffen up the suspension on my Cougar. I have a modest budget so I'm really trying to find out what's out there.
I've done some searching and reading, but to be honest there is never a clear yes or no answer, just a bunch of debate. If I wanted to switch to a more performance oriented suspension what would be the best angle of attack? I've read that you can possibly use the SN95 springs, but are they the best choice? Lowering the car a couple of inches is fine. What choices are there for strut/shocks? Which end links should I get? I'm not looking to drop thousands of dollars into suspension alone nor am I looking for an autocross legend. I just want to car to feel a bit more agile because the car will mostly just be street driven.

It's the wrong section for it, but how much work does it take to install a Mustang 8.8 into one of these cars? I know the Mustangs axles are shorter, anyway to remedy this? Any other problems? The closest TC 8.8 is ~150 miles away and they want $400 so that's not really an option unless I can look a little harder find one locally.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #1
If your looking to stiffen things up.. I would put subframe connectors on it
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #2
Agreed,then che adjustable rear control arms,energy poly front bushings,sn95 mach1 springs.
There is no real point in installing an 8.8 in your car unless your turning some serious hp or just want the shorter gears.
You can install the stang 8.8 and either get 1/2" wheel spacers with longer studs or custom offset rims.

Reply #3
then if your going that far.... Install a set of battle boxes.... No sense in having a handfull of spotwelds holding your rear end on after doing all that.

A rear swaybar too
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
here you go, everything listed above minus the adjustable arms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #5
Quote from: daminc;311436
If your looking to stiffen things up.. I would put subframe connectors on it

I've been looking at them. I'd rather have the ones that weld in so I'll have to find a place to weld 'em in since I don't have a welder. Any particular kind I should get?

Quote from: dominator;311438
Agreed,then che adjustable rear control arms,energy poly front bushings,sn95 mach1 springs.
There is no real point in installing an 8.8 in your car unless your turning some serious hp or just want the shorter gears.
You can install the stang 8.8 and either get 1/2" wheel spacers with longer studs or custom offset rims.

I'm assuming the bushing kits sold for Mustangs work fine with our cars. What all bushings should I replace? What if I can't find Mach 1 springs? What would be a few good alternatives? I may stick with the 7.5 until I can locate a TC rear end. That would give me a more feasible reason, besides strength, to install an 8.8.
On the subject of springs would either M-5300-B or M-5300-C be good choices?

Quote from: daminc;311441
then if your going that far.... Install a set of battle boxes.... No sense in having a handfull of spotwelds holding your rear end on after doing all that.

A rear swaybar too

My 20th already has both a front and rear sway bar, they probably need new end links by now though. Which end links would you recommend?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #6
You don't need anything expensive and fancy. 2x tubing will be your best bet. I used 2x2 and cut them through the floor. 2x 1-1/2 would probably fit without cutting the floor.

I still have stock end links. If your changing your bushings the poly type will squeak like mad. I got them on the vert. the noisiest things ever
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
:cougarsmily:5.0 HO, E303 cam, Exploder/Cobra intake, smog pump delete, Ford Taurus electric fan, MAF conversion, BBK headers, MAC 2.5" off-road exhaust w/x-pipe, AOD w/shift kit, 8.8 Trac-Loc rear w/disc brakes, 5-lug conversion w/'98 Mustang GT 17" wheels, Mach 1 springs:cougarsmily:

Reply #8
Quote from: jncocowboyx;311525

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout! That'll work great. I didn't know what it was until I clicked the picture and hit properties, puppies.jpg. :rollin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #9
here is extreme overkill.
I've got about 5000 pics, and I couldn't find one of them on the car.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

Reply #10
I was thinking about what to with with my old Bird when I get into rebuilding the suspension and replacing worn parts. However, I just do not need to go to some of these extremes. I am thinking the right springs, struts, shocks, sway bars and bushings should do enough of what I would like to do. I am very spoiled by the way my 08 Mustang handles.

Reply #11
Don't worry about the rear swaybar, it mounts directly to the rear arms with NO bushings.

Do you want a softer ride, or a firmer, and some noise/squeaks?

You can go to a bigger front, but that's dependent on what you have on there now.

As for Energy Suspension, I'm putting the bushings, endlinks, and spring isolators in mine...I can post the part #'s if you'd like...

Look on the Corral for SN-95 springs...there's usually something up for sale.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #12
Quote from: FordTruckFreeek;311572
Don't worry about the rear swaybar, it mounts directly to the rear arms with NO bushings.

Do you want a softer ride, or a firmer, and some noise/squeaks?

You can go to a bigger front, but that's dependent on what you have on there now.

As for Energy Suspension, I'm putting the bushings, endlinks, and spring isolators in mine...I can post the part #'s if you'd like...

Look on the Corral for SN-95 springs...there's usually something up for sale.

Firmer no matter the cost. If I have to deal with a few squeaks I'm fine with it.
I'll probably pull both sway bars and paint them up nice and install new end links for the front. If you've got the part numbers handy by all means post 'em up. Would just regular ole' GT (SN95) springs offer much of an upgrade?

I'm trying to find some spindles locally right now so I can do the 11" brake upgrade. With the spindles and the aftermarket strut mounts I'll be able to use SN95 struts up front, right?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #13
I have done to my car what you want to do to yours: the poly front bushings, CHE adjustabnle rears, TC front and rear say bar, 3.55 8.8" TC rear, 11" front brakes,  subframe connectors, all new shocks and struts (stock type) and Mach 1 springs. I love the stance, I love the way it handles, but I hate the ride. I went too far with stiffening and made it way too rough (you can run over a dime and tell whether it's heads or tails). I will someday take the front end apart and install stock style busings in the control arms to get my ride back. I may try adding some sound deadener to see if that helps (I think most of the roughness is perceived through noise). Either that or I'll pray that they repave the road I live on.

But yeah, if you do all of what I've done you'll be AMAZED at the handling. The car corners perfectly flat and sticks to the road like it's glued down. It's hard to believe something so big and heavy can feel so "tossable". I just wish it didn't ride so rough. I can only imagine how well some other cars on this forum whose owners have gone a lot farther than I have handle...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #14
Your right about the handling. The vert handles the same way. I can easily take a corner at 50+ mph like it's nothing. And I have the 17" cobra wheels that seem to stick like duct tape to the road. but like you say I can feel everything on the road. during fall time, leaves on the road seemed bumpy. :hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook