Skip to main content
Topic: Let's stiffen this thing up.... (Read 2714 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's stiffen this thing up....

Reply #15
Yeah, poly front control arm bushings aren't for those with delicate "sensibities", or who like to preserve the ride feel.  As mentioned, you will feel every hair on the road you run over.

The "B" & "C" kit rear springs have no place on a Tbird/Cougar, so don't use them.  They are far too weak.  The "C" kits fronts are a good choice, and I use them all the time.  The "B"s belong in the trash.  As discussed, Mach 1 or Bullitt springs are a good choice.

Jerry, SFCs are never overkill on a Fox.

To the OP, search around.  We've discussed suspension stuff quite a bit here, so you're not covering new ground.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #16
Some Mach 1 springs are going to be the next thing I acquire...I love to hear that it'll ride like a Stock Car....I give 2 shiznits less about ride quality. I have a Caprice that's like driving the couch to town, if I need a butt cushion with a steering wheel attached.... :hick:

FloridaCougar, stay tuned for those part #'s....I just woke up :hick:
(i work second shift)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #17
Here's what I have.
End links: ES part # 98119
front lower arm: #43123
I'm looking for spring isolators, and since I was on their site, here's the page for '88 Tbirds:
http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/products.asp?cat=Ford+Thunderbird+1988

Enjoy...and you're welcome! ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #18
Daminc, I am new to this thread, but I am wondering where you got the subframe connectors you pictured in one of your previous posts.  Were they custom made?

Reply #19
He made them himself.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #20
yes, I made them. I also have the plans if you want them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #21
You can make simple sub-frame connectors that are cheap and easy.

I used a bar of 1 1/2 inch by 1 1/2 inch and some flat stock and welded it in.  If I did it again I would use 2x1 or 1 1/2 and it would be a bit easier to line up.

These make a big improvement in stiffness.  You can jack up the car on one corner and the doors still work great.

TED

Reply #22
Here you go edgar_g1

here's the weld along the entire frame and inner rocker and seat braces. I actually replacer the seat bolts with grade 8 bolts washers and nuts when I installed the seats. I also used larger diameter bolts on my seats. I think I used 5/8" or 3/4"

cut through the floor, welded and seam sealed

Here's the car being jacked up by the 1" outer rail under the rocker lip. (doors still worked fine)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #23
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;311575
I have done to my car what you want to do to yours: the poly front bushings, CHE adjustabnle rears, TC front and rear say bar, 3.55 8.8" TC rear, 11" front brakes,  subframe connectors, all new shocks and struts (stock type) and Mach 1 springs. I love the stance, I love the way it handles, but I hate the ride. I went too far with stiffening and made it way too rough (you can run over a dime and tell whether it's heads or tails). I will someday take the front end apart and install stock style busings in the control arms to get my ride back. I may try adding some sound deadener to see if that helps (I think most of the roughness is perceived through noise). Either that or I'll pray that they repave the road I live on.

I am pondering...is ride quality mostly determined by springs or bushings?

I am considering polyGRAphite bushings, but I dont want harshness as bad as you have.  My springs will be MOOG 8600 or 8598's with Tokico blues.
Mike

Reply #24
I'm thinking bushings are the major factor. My springs are stock Ford pieces (albeit for a Mach 1). I've also heard of others who have used bone stock springs with poly bushings and had noisy results.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣