Skip to main content
Topic: Picked up a new DD/parts hauler today... (Read 2737 times) previous topic - next topic

Picked up a new DD/parts hauler today...

I've been looking for a truck for a while and I just couldn't find one I liked in the area.  I started browsing the craigslists of close by towns and finally found a truck I like in Utah, about 150 miles away.  Its a 96 F150 XLT Extended cab, short bed.  It has a 5.0 and auto tranny and is 4x4 with towing package.  Has 170k on it.  Its my first truck ever!

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #1
NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Congrats!:bowdown:
John

Reply #2
oh wow. i like that alot. i just picked up a 90 F150 4x4 302. Towpackage. with an aod tranny myself from Tennesee. with 82,000 on it.

Reply #3
That is one clean truck! That has always been my favorite body style for the f-150's.
FOXLESS!!

1994 Lincoln Mark VIII

Reply #4
Nice truck! You can't tell by looking at it that it has that many miles.

Reply #5
That looks like a great buy!  Maybe stock up on a second tranny, as that is usually the first to go.
1987 TC

Reply #6
im looking for one that body style myself, 2wd diesel tho. nice find, looks new!

Reply #7
Thanks guys!  So, I have a question.  The truck has the 4 wheel drive buttons on the dash, but it has manual locking front hubs.  Does that mean that the buttons aren't functional and I have to manually lock the hubs?  I am a total noob about 4WD so please somebody educate me as to how it works.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #8
Buttons activate the transfer case, manual hubs activate the front axle, so to speak.  Gotta do both to get 4x4 engaged.
1987 TC

Reply #9
Some (most) had the auto hubs factory, it's likely someone swapped the manual hubs in...if you took a closer pic, someone here could probably tell you if they were stock or swappers lol. Hard to tell for sure in the one pic...might be stock, but it was my understanding that the push button x-cases got the auto hubs, and manual cases got manual hubs, etc.

Either way,  nice truck. Keep it west, don't want it to get cancer like we suffer over here (missouri) lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #10
180k, on a Truck... and it looks like that? WTF!
Someone REALLY took care of it, Great find.
~Project ThunderStorm = '84 Charcoal Thunderbird - First Car - Long Time Work in Progress~
~Project (No Name Yet) = 1970 Plymouth GTX/RR "Clone"~

Reply #11
That could be mainly Highway miles. But d#@*m that's a clean truck! Great find and enjoy it :D

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #12
So what is better, the auto hubs or the manual hubs?  And as far as towing, this truck should be able to tow, lets say a trailer with a Fox body bird/cat on it right?  I really don't plan on towing anything, juts making sure I don't let any good deals pass me by  ;)

Here is a pic of the hubs.

Reply #13
Those are aftermarket locking hubs ;)
 As far as what is better  that is comparing apples and oranges ,
 there are pros and cons for both
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #14
Wow. That thing is in incredible shape. My father-in-law would be drooling right now, if he wasn't yearning for his old black 'Henrietta'.

btw, nice quote, fordtruckfreak. hah! I just wish I knew what the hell I meant by that.