Skip to main content
Topic: Picked up a new DD/parts hauler today... (Read 2739 times) previous topic - next topic

Picked up a new DD/parts hauler today...

Reply #15
Nice ride!

I had a 95 just like it and the factory auto hubs died...I swapped to Warn manuals. The 'pros'....cost (Ford autos were $$$) and the 'Warn' name for reliability.

Con's...have to jump out to engage the hubs, not just sit inside and push the button.  I'd rather be cold than stuck! :D
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #16
My dad hauls cars with his 2.3 5sp ranger, I think a 5.0 f150 can handle it.
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #17
FLSTCI71 has a truck real similar to that, and he's hauling all the time.  Should be good to go.
1987 TC

Reply #18
Here's the 95 Eddie Bauer I -had-.  It was clean as new when I sold it. I bought it with 'high mileage' (lots of commuting) so I got a great deal on it. By the time I sold it, the years caught up to the mileage and I got just about what I paid for it! Good truck!:D

Traded up to a 97 F150 4x4 XLT. My 97 has the 4.6 and I've towed cars on a (heavy) U-Haul trailer and it does OK but should have the 5.7 if you are going to be doing regular towing.

My 97 just turned over to 62,000 miles! :hick:
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #19
Man that is a sweet truck.  I REALLY wanted an Eddie Bauer but I just couldn't find one around here that met my needs.  I almost bought an Eddie Bauer Bronco instead, and I think I would have been happy with it, but the truck just works out better for me.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Reply #20
Don't you know you can never find what you want when you are looking for it!:hick: 

Your truck looks real clean and you should be happy with it. The only reason I sold mine was to get the 3rd door for the kids at the time.

I've always had a truck and don't think I could go without one.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #21
Did I mention the U-Haul trailer is heavy! :hick: 

Front end of the truck is up a bit. Would have helped to back the car on but with no brakes that wasn't an option.:D

Just make sure to antite starts and stops when you are towing!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #22
I put the parts hauler to its first test today...a junkyard run.  I guess it did ok.

1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi

Reply #23
HAHAHAHAHA :rollin: Ooooooh I dunno man that kinda load is prolly bottomin' the leaves right out ya might have to throw a few more under there if you're gonna be that hardcore...
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Reply #24
Yeah, I'm still getting the hang of this whole truck thing  ;)

Reply #25
Quote from: oldraven;309098
btw, nice quote, fordtruckfreak. hah! I just wish I knew what the hell I meant by that.

Click on the arrow next to it....I was searching old old posts, and saw that, thought it was the funniest thing I'd seen since who knows what...I saved it lol. remember IGAH? :hick::toilet:

Back to our regularly scheduled thread;
with the 5.0 you should be able to pull a Tbird on a trailer, just be safe and put in an auxiliary tranny cooler. ;)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #26
Since those are Warn hubs, they're definitely not stock. Nothing at all wrong with 'em, no worries. Someone probably swapped them on thinking (mistakenly) that it would improve the gas mileage.

I prefer manual hubs...little more work, but a little more reliable.

Again, nice trucks!
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #27
Quote from: Loaded87IROC;309199
I put the parts hauler to its first test today...a junkyard run.  I guess it did ok.

Good job getting the weight right over the axle! :D
tbirdregistry.com